• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computer Chronicles on my local channel.

DOS lives on!!

Veteran Member
I was flipping through the channels last night, and to my suprise, I found Computer Chronicles showing on our local channel! It was something about the newest graphics ang games for the *newest* computers of the time. It was pretty neat seeing Macintosh Performas on live TV, showing off how they can stream video in what was back then, a good resolution.

I love booting up my old macs and thinking "wow, these were once the top of the line for the day?" since they take about 5x as long to start up as my G5 here does, and it's slow compared to an Intel mac.

I find it fun to play the old games, like Sim Life that require me to set the video mode to 256 colors, which back then was "wow, you can view an image that looks like an image!?" and now it's "WTF? That looks terrible!" since we seem to be spoiled by 32-bit color.

I love booting up my old macs and thinking "wow, these were once the top of the line for the day?" since they take about 5x as long to start up as my G5 here does, and it's slow compared to an Intel mac.
My Macintosh SE holds my households record for the fastest shutdown time. Less than a second! My Apple //c has it for the startup time. Eleven seconds with a bootable disk inserted.

My favorite Mac game, Spin Doctor, requires 256 colors. So that makes hte desktop look distorted and the game perfectly fine.

Anyway, the only way I've been watching Computer Chronicles is off my downloaded archive of it. But seeing it on my Zenith Console TV completes the "vintage" look of the show.

Shouldn't your dos PC or Amiga have the record for shutdown time? ;-) Actually the Amiga is the one that throws most people off. A multi-tasking OS/computer with a GUI and no need to do a special shutdown command, you can just flip it off..er..well you know what I mean.

Shouldn't your dos PC or Amiga have the record for shutdown time? ;-) Actually the Amiga is the one that throws most people off. A multi-tasking OS/computer with a GUI and no need to do a special shutdown command, you can just flip it off..er..well you know what I mean.
Uh, what??

Excuse me if I'm missing something, but how does that apply to Computer Chronicles.

Back