• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Powerbook 145 cord

Compgeke

Veteran Member
Today I was given a Power Book 145. The only thing I can see wrong with it by a glance is that the left screen hinge is broken, looks fixable.

I didn't get a cord with this and I'm wondering if Apple used a strange polarity or will any 7.5v, 2A cord work with this? Also, is there any risk of harm by using a 6v cord?

thanks!

Well, I found a cord (Apple M5140) and it turns out the thing doesn't work, nor will it ever work. We plugged it in, nothing. Pressed the power button, nothing. Sat it aside and man did that thing smell. We had no battery in it incase of something like this happening, however upon unplugging you could smell that something fried inside but there was no smell with the cord plugged in. I'll take it apart tonight and examine to see if it was the display (that has bad hinges) or something even worse, like the motherboard. We did use a multimeter on the cord and it measured 7.48v, and 2 amps, so it had pretty darn close to 15w (14.96w) so that couldn't have caused anything so I guess we just have to open this up and see what happened.

Worst case it's murdered beyond repair, however I paid a whopping $0 for it, it was in unknown condition, and the person that gave it to me paid a whole $1 at a yardsale which suggests that maybe it was fried before, but I never smelt (or is it smelled...who knows) anything before hand so there is no guarantees of anything at this moment in time.

The Apple M5651 that I received with my PowerBook 100 is 7.5V 2.0A center pin positive and outside shield negative - -----(o------ +

The Apple M5651 that I received with my PowerBook 100 is 7.5V 2.0A center pin positive and outside shield negative - -----(o------ +

Same specs as the "Apple Low-Power AC Adapter" ADP-17AB I got for my Powerbook 165. Even worked on my Macintosh Portable (with bad caps).

Back