• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 25 floppy drive

evildragon

Veteran Member
I'm looking for another 1.44MB floppy drive and bezel for my model 25. I might as well have a B: drive with all the copying between floppies I do. I'm tired of swapping floppies..

I tried contacting the member here who sold me the original one I purchased, but that was nearly half a year ago and still no response.

Still looking for another drive.

The drive must be pin headers, not a card edge connector. My A: drive is pin headers, thus the ribbon only has such provisions..

FYI I was able to hack in a Sony 2.88 from newer PS/2s...required a slight customization to the ribbon cable due to which pins power goes on, but it can be done.

These drives seem to be more common and less flaky. It of course doesn't fit 100% in the chassis but can be convinced to line up with the bezel, except for the button not being the fat type (and LED is in the wrong spot).

FYI I was able to hack in a Sony 2.88 from newer PS/2s...required a slight customization to the ribbon cable due to which pins power goes on, but it can be done.

These drives seem to be more common and less flaky. It of course doesn't fit 100% in the chassis but can be convinced to line up with the bezel, except for the button not being the fat type (and LED is in the wrong spot).
I guess I could resort to this if I had to, but preferably want to make the 2 drives to look identical.

..... ebay?

Martin Adams has some listed at (relatively) cheap... 24.99 BIN for the 1.4's that should work in the Model 30 (believe that it's compatible with the 25 as well)

One of these days, I've got to tear apart my drives in my Model 30 and Model 25. I think that the 720k in the Model 25 just neads cleaning, but the one in the model 30 is shot and needs a complete tear-down.

Oh... and can't forget the two spare 720k in the spare Model 25 chassis, as well as the one in the P70. Sigh.

Hey evildragon, What kind or drive is it? Like in manufacturer? If it's a mitusbishi you might be able to fix it yourself by replacing dried up capacitors. BTW I have some PS/2 bezels if needed. Mainly for Model 50/70 and 60/80 might fit yours. oh and I am not that far from you. Southern end of Volusia County.

..... ebay?

Martin Adams has some listed at (relatively) cheap... 24.99 BIN for the 1.4's that should work in the Model 30 (believe that it's compatible with the 25 as well)

One of these days, I've got to tear apart my drives in my Model 30 and Model 25. I think that the 720k in the Model 25 just neads cleaning, but the one in the model 30 is shot and needs a complete tear-down.

Oh... and can't forget the two spare 720k in the spare Model 25 chassis, as well as the one in the P70. Sigh.

You've captured my more recent attitude with this post. The market is mostly drying up, and I have a number of systems I will need to maintain of my own. I might be irritating to some to have that stance, while not explaining it before.

Martin is one of the good guys, I just recently got a 45Mb Model 30 286 drive from him that I will be using to test capabilities on the older Model 25 and Model 30 units...

I'm also trying to work on an adaptation of a conventional 1.44Mb floppy drive to work in a PS/2, tests that I did on an 8086-based Model 30 (being the most finicky of PS/2s in regards to floppy drives, but taking every conventional brand I could throw at it) looked very promising...

The model 30 drive cover does not fit in the model 25 exactly, you can't eject a disk unless you have the mod 25 cover.

At some point relatively soon I will test what model 25 drives I have, and let you know what I have available that works. I have two or three 25's that work, 2 that are parts units. I don't need all that swag I tell you.

Bill

The model 30 drive cover does not fit in the model 25 exactly, you can't eject a disk unless you have the mod 25 cover...

There are a few 'couple' differences between early 3-1/2" PS/2 floppy drives:

You have your "big button" and your "little button" types, both 720Kb and 1.44Mb were made in both styles (with the 720Kb drives stock on the 8086-based Model 25 and 30s). There are (40-pin) "edge-connect" and (34-pin) "pin-connect" types (both with drive power put on that single connection). The "big button" variety were only made as "edge-connect", although that is the only exclusion.

Even the later 2.88Mb drives came in "*" (printed on the eject button) and non-"*" types (if you mix it up, there is a possibility of damaging the FDC in certain combinations)...

There are a few 'couple' differences between early 3-1/2" PS/2 floppy drives:

You have your "big button" and your "little button" types, both 720Kb and 1.44Mb were made in both styles (with the 720Kb drives stock on the 8086-based Model 25 and 30s). There are (40-pin) "edge-connect" and (34-pin) "pin-connect" types (both with drive power put on that single connection). The "big button" variety were only made as "edge-connect", although that is the only exclusion.

Even the later 2.88Mb drives came in "*" (printed on the eject button) and non-"*" types (if you mix it up, there is a possibility of damaging the FDC in certain combinations)...

I am putting an "edge connect" drive (untested) with related misc model 25 parts and cables (1987 greyscale display version), including an IBM 5 1/4" IDE controller and model 25 motherboard as a single lot on Ebay early next week. Not sure what it will go for, watch for it to appear Tues/Weds.

Hey evildragon, What kind or drive is it? Like in manufacturer? If it's a mitusbishi you might be able to fix it yourself by replacing dried up capacitors. BTW I have some PS/2 bezels if needed. Mainly for Model 50/70 and 60/80 might fit yours. oh and I am not that far from you. Southern end of Volusia County.
There's nothing wrong with the drive that is in there right now, I just want a B: drive, an additional drive.

Back