• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ST225 Error 1780 on a 5170

platatomi

Experienced Member
Picked up an AT today and I am having trouble with the ST225 hard disk. After running the IBM Setup program and setting the drive as type 2, I am getting a 1780 Time out for hard drive 0 at IPL error and I cannot access the drive from DOS. I think its ok mechanically, as it spins right up and makes the normal sounds. Any thoughts?

1780 is a seek error... could be bad heads, could be bad swing-arm... could be a bad low level format or an interleave pattern your disk controller can't handle.

I'd be leaning towards the bad format or invalid interleave. You got a copy of Spinrite? WD's llformat?

... and there's always:

g=c800:5

from inside debug...

Though one does have to ask, what are you using for a controller?

The controller is a WD1006V-MM2.

I haven't tried any special software, just DOS's FDISK, which just gives me an error reading fixed disk 0.

One more thing that should be cleared up before proceeding:

The connectors at the ends of the smaller of the two ribbon cables (not the Winchester) that connect the drive to controller are not keyed, so I do not know if they are plugged in correctly or upside down. I did try both ways and had no luck, but still need to know before trying a low level format. A good picture of the connectors plugged in correctly would be great. Or a detailed description.

Pin 1 is usually marked on the drive and controller card, you need to orient the cable connectors
so Pin 1 card goes to Pin1 drive. If the cable has red marking on the ribbon, you can use that as a guide.

One more thing that should be cleared up before proceeding:

The connectors at the ends of the smaller of the two ribbon cables (not the Winchester) that connect the drive to controller are not keyed, so I do not know if they are plugged in correctly or upside down. I did try both ways and had no luck, but still need to know before trying a low level format. A good picture of the connectors plugged in correctly would be great. Or a detailed description.
Pin 1 should be marked, but several other things should be cleared up ;-)

For a start:
-Have you read the manual?
-Are you using the correct data connector?
-Is the drive's drive select jumper set correctly?
-Is the control cable straight through or twisted?

I found the pin labels on the controller card, but I cannot find any label on the drive. As for the drive jumper, these settings are not labeled either.

I have not read the manual (i did not receive a hard copy with the machine) but I will go find one online now.

The control cable does have 5 wires twisted between the two drive connectors.

Don't rule out the controller card as well. How confident are you the controller is OK? Can you test the st225 in an XT or something?

I don't have any other hardware to test the drive in. All I know is the controller works just fine with the floppy drives.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the hardware, how would I proceed with a low level format? Anything I else I could try?

Side question:

I read that this controller supports 1.44MB 3.5" drives. However, the BIOS setup will only let me set the drive unto 720K, and I cannot read a 1.44MB disk under DOS. Any other settings that need to be changed to use 1.44MB disks?

Floppy/hard drive controller specs: http://www.4drives.com/DRIVESPECS/DCTL/20222.txt

Last edited:
I found the pin labels on the controller card, but I cannot find any label on the drive. As for the drive jumper, these settings are not labeled either.

I have not read the manual (i did not receive a hard copy with the machine) but I will go find one online now.

The control cable does have 5 wires twisted between the two drive connectors.
On the drive you should see a very tiny number 2 near the end of the connectors closest to the notch; this is the pin 1 end where the stripe should be.

You can download the drive specs at:
ftp://ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/mfm/

(You may have to import it into word/wordpad or equivalent and change the font to something like Letter Gothic Line to make it legible).

The controller manual is here:
ftp://ftp.mrynet.com/Hardware/westerndigital/1006mm1.pdf

Exactly which wires in the cable are twisted?

With a twisted cable you should set the drive to DS2 (see the manual).

Good luck!

A good picture of the connectors plugged in correctly would be great. Or a detailed description.
A hard drive cabling diagram for the 5170 is at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5170/misc/5170_hard_drive_cabling_single.jpg
The only difference will be that on the WD1006V-MM2, J4 and J5 are 90 degrees to that shown on the diagram.

A photo showing the difference between a hard drive twisted cable and a floppy twisted cable is at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/floppy_vs_hard.jpg

Side question:
I read that this controller supports 1.44MB 3.5" drives. However, the BIOS setup will only let me set the drive unto 720K, and I cannot read a 1.44MB disk under DOS. Any other settings that need to be changed to use 1.44MB disks?
Refer to the first post in http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?12995-IBM-PC-AT-5170-BIOS-versions
BIOS support for the 1.44M drive on the 5170 motherboard didn't arrive until the third revision level (11/15/85) of the BIOS.
If you have the third revision, then the GSETUP.EXE program (an alternative to the IBM way of doing RTC/CMOS setup) will allow you to set 1.44M.

ST-225 - Jumpering for second drive select.

seagate_st225_second_drive_select.jpg

(By the way. The yellow thing is the terminator. May be a different colour)

Thank you guys for all the input and links.

This whole time I had the drive select jumper set to 1! I can't wait to correct this and try it again! (hoping this is the only problem). Ill report the status tomorrow.

Last edited:
While changing the drive select jumper, I noticed the terminator on the drive is missing, and there are a couple jumper wires soldered in its place. This is probably part of the problem. Other than that, the hardware is setup correctly now, and I still get a 1780 on POST and a mix of 1701 and 1714 while testing the drive in System Checkout.

My guess is the hardware is shot.

While changing the drive select jumper, I noticed the terminator on the drive is missing, and there are a couple jumper wires soldered in its place. This is probably part of the problem.
Quite a few members of these forums will tell you that on MFM/RLL drives, one can usually get by without a terminator. But those "couple jumper wires soldered in its place" is very worrying. Are you able to remove them?

Back