• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB XT IDE V1 assembled or PCB

Yeah, it's been awhile since I did any serious work with the XT bus and now I remember how primitive it was--and how I grew to really detest the 8237. Slow, limited to transfer within 64KB banks, basically an 8085 peripheral pressed into 16 bit use. The application of the 8237 to the 5170 was even more obscene.

It seems the DP CPLD version is completely abandoned. There haven't been any significant posts in months and no one is actively pushing the effort forward.

It did seem that way, but Ian has just posted an update on there. It seems that V2 (100% CPLD) should move forward early January, so hopefully there is time to look at those issues that were remaining (for the memory mapped IO and perhaps the flash in place of the EPROM).

Hi,
I ordered a small batch of the XT-IDE V2 PCBs of the Hargle variety. They should be here in late December or early January. The plan is these boards will burn off the backlog of builders waiting for boards and buy some time for the other projects to get theirs ready.

I am getting 40 PCBs which I presume half would go to Hargle for kit/assembled units. I will sell the rest for the DIY builders. These XT-IDE V2 PCBs include the TTL IDE interface, boot ROM, and UART circuitry. I've updated the schematic on the N8VEM wiki to identify the DNP portions of the board to reduce builder costs somewhat.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I've just visited this thread for the first time in a few days. Hargle, thanks for the summary of the situation at hand. I'd personally love to see a sticky either with information and compare/contrasts of the three boards, or even just containing links to build instructions and parts/feature lists.

As it sits, culling information from the 3 different versions with the various posts and mentions here is rather difficult, especially to the casual observer of the projects (of which I consider myself one).

I'd personally like to have one of each of the new offerings, but cost/features may narrow it down to just one model for me.

Cost is an interesting point... I just roughly checked out the price for the DP 'full-CPLD' (V2) board, the parts list is under £10.

The problem (in the UK, anyway) will be the one-off order charges from the main players (Farnell, Mouser, DigiKey) which are typically in the £15 region :(

Back