• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another Overpriced Auction

Looks like he shows an apple with just about every item, lol. I see a lot of .99 cent winners, lol. All that work for under a buck!

This is so annoying. Everyone just looks to see what other people are pricing their machines at, even though they never selll, and then price them the same. The people on craigslist look at eBay to see what people price theirs at, and do the same thing.

It sucks being an Apple fan, and general computer geek who wants to mess around with machines, and can't afford anything because everyone is living in a separate reality.

People who try to take advantage of the gullibility of others and the whole "Steve Jobs passed away" thing, suck.

Don't get me started on craigslist..... people on there think that a 1.0GHz G4 iBook is worth $250-275. :stern: Recently there was a 1.67GHz PowerBook for $550 that "needed work, but a steal!"

... everyone is living in a separate reality.

This has a certainly irony as Steve Job's employees during the original Mac era spoke of Steve Jobs living in a sparate reality where both the laws of physics and the truth of balance sheets didn't apply.

Tez

Just think, if Jobs hadn't have died, that thing would be priced at 30 to 40 bucks, which is about what it's worth. Dead or alive, you just can't get away from Apple mercenary (perhaps that's the word they are looking for when they say "visionary") pricing.

I do have to say...something is only worth what someone will pay. I would pay probably $20 for one of these...but then again, they probably don't realize that not many people have 5 grand to just go spend, especially since that is 2.5 times what my mom makes in a month...

But 9999/10000 times, those things are just going to sit there for months, and they keep relisting them.

A guy has been relisting an IBM XT with the monitor, keyboard, and the original boxes of software/books that came with it...it's in good condition, but he wanted $500 for like 2 months, then $450, now it's at $350. It's been relisted for like 4 or 5 months now.

I told him I'd give him $60 and come get it immediately. Seems like a really fair offer to me. I'm just going to get it running and probably play some old text games on it. haha...maybe try and do some assembly programming? I've never learned how.

A guy has been relisting an IBM XT with the monitor, keyboard, and the original boxes of software/books that came with it...it's in good condition, but he wanted $500 for like 2 months, then $450, now it's at $350. It's been relisted for like 4 or 5 months now.

I told him I'd give him $60 and come get it immediately. Seems like a really fair offer to me. I'm just going to get it running and probably play some old text games on it. haha...maybe try and do some assembly programming? I've never learned how.

His price is too high, but your price is too low -- the original boxes, and software/manuals, certainly bring the price of a complete system to around $120-$150 and then it goes upward after that based on condition and internal config (640K, stock parts, everything working, etc.).

If all you want is a "beater" to play old games on and learn assembler, there are cheaper systems to be had (like 8088 Taiwanese clones, or any one of several Tandy 1000 machines). Here's a few I found doing a quick search (it's slim pickings around xmas time, maybe search again in a few months):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandy-1000-EX-/130618393177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e69768259#ht_500wt_1413

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandy-1000ex-vintage-computer-25-1050-/320815230163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4ab213ecd3#ht_768wt_1396

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-PS-2-56...ultDomain_0&hash=item2317ae4ef8#ht_500wt_1413

It doesn't have the original boxes for the computer itself, just some of the manuals that came in like, cardboard box-like holders.

$60 I think is fair. It's technology that's 30 years old. I don't want a beater, I don't want a clone, I had that same one when i was 14 that I got for free from the school when they cleaned their stuff out. I got rid of it...probably shouldn't have, but at that time I was more interested in the new stuff.

:)

It doesn't have the original boxes for the computer itself, just some of the manuals that came in like, cardboard box-like holders.

$60 I think is fair. It's technology that's 30 years old. I don't want a beater, I don't want a clone, I had that same one when i was 14 that I got for free from the school when they cleaned their stuff out. . . .

I too don't like to pay much for old computers, but some are desirable by many people. They're not going to get any cheaper.

Wikipedia: The IBM model 5150 Personal Computer has become a collectable among vintage computer collectors, due to the system being the first true “PC” as we know them today.

People give old computers away all the time (I just got a free 5155) but these old machines are getting hard to come by in that way and the "givaways" are mostly newer. Times change.

I wouldn't pay it myself, but on the open market I'd say $200-300 for a PC that's clean with manuals. I paid $40 last year for a rusty one that didn't boot and no manuals or second drive and felt I got an OK deal because it was from a store. A friend with no interest in computers would probably give it away, but I didn't have one of those and at this point in time I doubt one will show up. I'm more likely to get a new Windows7 machine for free because they're more common and not worth as much. Anyway, the market for the original PC is hot right now and you get what you pay for.

BTW: You say it's technology that's 30 years old. Well, you do know that the older it gets the more desirable, and hence expensive it gets. Right?

Back