• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seagate ST2383 5.25 form factor ide drive

Thank you :), but to no avail, moving all the goods to cylinder 15 instead of 0 didn't do much good, now it dumps the error at checking directory structure an running chkdsk crashes chkdsk, and on reboot it doesn't detect the drive. So i wonder if it's the logic board on the drive, or the dos version on the conner 80mb that i'm hosting it with, which is 6.20, or a shot in the dark, but maybe the conner drive itself even, i know there are extraordinarily picky about whom they are paired with, even on a second channel, anyhoo, i'm turning in for the night, this is tomorrows project

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't spend too much more time on it. I just had a miniscribe 80meg hdd start playing up in my 386. Spent a few hours with it then just ended up using overlay software on a 4gig drive I had laying around. Works perfectly and much quicker than the old one.

Just curious--does the drive work on a later (say, P1 or later) system?

I had one of these Wren VI IDE (althought I think it was called an ATA) drive. It wasn't wonderful and I ended up trashing it because of problems. Not one of CDC's best efforts.

thats the thing, i'm trying to ressurect it on a p1-166s before i put it into the older machine, is it possible that the p1 simply doesn't like the darned thing? I'm not going to spend too much more time with the poor thing, it soon begin life as something else, like it's platters for a mobile......

(edit) Popped it open only to find a very faint line going from the inside to the outside of the drive, deeper towards the inside of the spindle, so this ones gone. Thread can be closed.

*thanks for the tips though*

Last edited:
Back