• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

3" Floppy Disks (Quick Disks)

hexsane

Experienced Member
I have 20 of these.

They are Smith Corona branded (Some are marked 2.8" but that is the actual platter size not the case size) in sleeves. These are "flippy" type disks.

These work in Cresent QuickDisk Drives, many MIDI keyboards, Amstrad word processors and Smith Corona word processors.

They are the 3"x3" disks not the 3"x4" disks needed for the Famicon ROM copier. These use the same platter as that device so if you have a bad disk and want to try to hack up a good disk that may work.

Most are used although I have 2 seemingly new unused disks. I can't test them, sorry.

$6.00 for 2 disks mailed in the United States. I will mail outside the US but need the destination for calculating postage but most places should fall into the $6.00 total.

I prefer to sell them to different people so right now only 2 disks per person.

First 2 orderers get the 2 newer disks. Although several disks are labeled but not marked these 2 disks have the label unused in the sleeve.

I think they're called 2.8" so as not to confuse them with the CF2 3" disks (used by the Amstrad Joyce and others).

I've got a Smith Corona PWP here that uses them, but I never use it for anything.

You might have better luck posting these on one of the vintage synth forums. There were a few synthesizers that used them.

I think they're called 2.8" so as not to confuse them with the CF2 3" disks (used by the Amstrad Joyce and others).

I've got a Smith Corona PWP here that uses them, but I never use it for anything.

You might have better luck posting these on one of the vintage synth forums. There were a few synthesizers that used them.

If the Amstrad use the 3" x 4" case then no these will not work. These will work in the Cresent QDD as they are identical to those disks. Smith Corona mislabeled the disks as 2.8" (this is the size of the actual media, not the case). The disks are 3" x 3" hard shell case without a shutter.

EDIT:
The information I have may be incorrect. I see the Amstrad use the CF2 (3" x 4" case). These disks also came in different densities so I'm not sure they will work with a QDD either.

Last edited:
Need some 2.8" Quick Disks

Need some 2.8" Quick Disks

Hello, if these are the true 2.8" Quick Disks, I'd really like to buy a few to use in a Roland MT-100. Please email me on here or reply to the thread, thanks!

General note: Quick Disks are definitely NOT usable with the Amstrad 3" drives--Quick Disks have a single spiral track on each side written to sequentially, whereas the Amstrad uses a more normal arrangement of circular tracks. One other system that used the Quick Disks was the Famicom game system--but it used a longer disk shell. It is possible to add a case extender bracket and use the regular Quick Disk with a Famicom machine. I use Quick Disks with my TI CC40 and my TI-99/8, as I was able to obtain one of them with the necessary HexBus interface for those systems.

Hello, if these are the true 2.8" Quick Disks, I'd really like to buy a few to use in a Roland MT-100. Please email me on here or reply to the thread, thanks!
Same here (go MT-100)!

It's interesting how this thread was dead for almost 3 years, then this sudden explosion of activity. Let's all hope that the OP still has some of those original 20 QDs left...

Last edited:
I see the Smith-Corona Datadisks show up on eBay more often than any other type. Same as Quickdisk, just a different branding.

So keep your eyes peeled...

Back