• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AS/400 Keyboard and Monitor Connections

napergman

A friend just gave me an AS/400 (9406-S10) mini-computer for no charge. I love to tinker so I would like to at least get it up and running. He also gave me an IBM 3488-V Info Window II user interface (for lack of a better name). The 3488 has a DB15 VGA connector, DB25 parallel connector and a DB9 serial connector on the back. Connected to the DB25 is what I believe is a Twinax adapter -- it has two round 2 pin female connectors hanging from it. On the side of the 3488 are a single RJ45 and a PS/2 connector.

The AS/400 has an RJ45 connector (which appears to be a NIC) and 3 DB9 serial ports -- two are marked UPS and MI and appear to be integral to the system. The third DB9 is on a card plugged into an expansion slot. The RJ45 is also on a card in an expansion slot. There are no Twinax connectors on the AS/400.

My quandry is then, how do I connect the monitor and keyboard to the machine.

I did connect the monitor and keyboard to the 3488 and powered both the 3488 and AS/400. I immediately got an IBM splash screen on the monitor. It then went to the IBM ready screen -- a line across the bottom and the cursor parked at line 1, column 80. The cursor does not blink.

The AS/400 appears to have booted. Many characters and numbers appeared in the front panel LCD while it booted and it appeared to run a disk check of some sort as there was a great deal of HDD activity for about 10 minutes. Apparently it has been quite some time since the system has been powered. It is now "idling" (minimal HDD activity) and is displaying "01 B N" on the front panel LCD. Fans are running.

I appreciate any help that is provided. Thanks

The InfoWindow is merely a console for the /400. You will need either a twinax cable to connect to the system OR two Twinax baluns so you can just some other type of cable other than twinax to connect the two.
This all however assumes the /400 has twinax connections installed. Your system apparently does not.

You are correct, there are no Twinax connectors on the AS/400 so how can I connect a monitor and keyboard to it (i.e. what options do I have -- what was probably used considering no Twinax?)

Technically the AS/400 has no local consle in terms of keyboard and monitor right on the unit. It entirely communicated with the users/administrator by means of terminals.
There has to be a console interface on it. It's possibly one of the serial ports and if not, it's over the RJ45 as that's all you say three is on this unit.

Most likely your AS/400 has a console card. There will be a weird thin white connector on the back of it, or it will be one of the DB9 ports. Look up the cards in the IBM redbooks and it will tell you what they are. It needs a twinax block to turn it into twinax connections. 0 1 BN is automatic IPL, so yes, it should be up and running. Since it's running, and it sounds like you have an ethernet card, you should be able to sniff out it's IP address, and connect to it with a 5250 emulator.

Here is an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-9842-8-...369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b52ba629

BTW, I don't recommend spending that much money on one, that was just a quick eBay search. You should be able to get one for way less.

The proper term for your as/400 "booting" is actually "IPL" (Initial Program Load). IBM's site is going to be your most valuable friend in this endeavor. You will want to look up redbooks. Your system specs, card compatibility, etc will be in the redbooks. The best ones to look at are arranged by OS/400 versions, like v4r5. I hope you have the passwords!

DO NOT plug in standard PC PCI cards into the system. You WILL fry something (personal experience).

Next and mikerm, thanks for your input. I have been reading and just came across the IPL acronym. Thanks for the correction. I have attached pics of the rear and what I believe is the console card. I think it is a serial DB9 port. Thank you for the eBay reference. Am I correct that I have two options: use a laptop with 5250 emulation over the console serial port OR purchase a DB9 to Twinax adapter and connect to the 3488 Twinax connector. Please confirm this. BTW, I found another Twinax adapter on eBay for only $8. Finally, are the IBM redbooks available on line (i.e. no cost?)

Thanks again.

Attachments

• as400_rear_ 005s.jpg
    as400_rear_ 005s.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1
  • as400_rear_console_003.jpg
    as400_rear_console_003.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1
  • as400_rear_NIC_006s.jpg
    as400_rear_NIC_006s.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1
Per the pics, you would need a twinax block that fits that white thin connector (I think it's called HD15 or something). The as/400 doesn't have a "serial" port like you are thinking. You can do 5250 emulation over ethernet though, as your last card is ethernet.

Yes, all redbooks are available on ibm.com.

Thanks mikerm and steve. I have learned a great deal so far and think that I might even recognize the solution when I find it *smile*.

A couple of things.....
I have searched the AS/400 Redbook doc that you suggested. Based solely on it's physical location in the diagram, I think that I have a 9720 workstation controller. I think that it is a 9720 because it appears to support Twinax workstations connections and has an ECS port. Unfortunately I could not find any mention to the physical interfaces provided. Again, the card in this same slot in my machine has a DB9 and a 36 pin connector.

I also tried to use the Ethernet port with my laptop. Unfortunately, the port appears to be dead. I did not get any link lights when I plugged the cable in. I did have link lights on my laptop so I am assuming that there was no physical layer communications.

If you have any new thoughts, please offer them. You have been very helpful so far.
Thanks

Did you connect a switch between your laptop and the AS/400? It may not work with just a cable between them, unless you used a crossover?

Good point Quantum. When I originally got my model 150 I tried a standard crossover cable - couldn't get it to work at all. A simple hub should suffice, assuming it has a fixed IP address.

I have searched the AS/400 Redbook doc that you suggested. Based solely on it's physical location in the diagram, I think that I have a 9720 workstation controller. I think that it is a 9720 because it appears to support Twinax workstations connections and has an ECS port. Unfortunately I could not find any mention to the physical interfaces provided. Again, the card in this same slot in my machine has a DB9 and a 36 pin connector.
The card will have the IBM number printed on it, most likely 9720. That is the console card, and you want a twinax block that mates with the white connector. IIRC, The DB9 can be used for smaller twinax blocks, but I haven't seen one in a while.

I also tried to use the Ethernet port with my laptop. Unfortunately, the port appears to be dead. I did not get any link lights when I plugged the cable in. I did have link lights on my laptop so I am assuming that there was no physical layer communications.
As others had stated, you either need a crossover (those network cards can't auto-detect), or a hub/switch in between with 2 normal cables. I believe that card is the older one that's 10baseT only (but it could be the "upgraded" 10/100).

That system is similar to the one I have. It's been a year or so since I messed around with mine, but here's what my rusty memory recalls:

The DB-9 connector on the PCI card is for a 4-port twinax brick. You will need to connect the console to this. I connected mine with two twinax baluns and an ethernet patch cable (not a crossover cable). The ethernet port may not be active - if the network isn't set to start automatically when the system IPLs, you won't even get a link light on the NIC. Mine was like this, and it took a bit of reading before I figured out how configure it and get it to start.

The other DB-9 connectors are for diagnostics and possibly a UPS interface. I'd recommend not connecting a serial cable to them.

Jim

As for passwords, I didn't have the passwords for mine. BUT I was able to reset the password for the diagnostic tools, then from there reset the QSECOFR password. Once this was done, I could IPL normally, log in w/QSECOFR, and do whatever I needed. I found out how to do this by searching for 'reset DST password'. Perhaps I should go out in the garage and dig out my notes from when I got my AS/400...

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. I had several other more urgent issues that I had to take care of. I am now ready to attack this issue again.

I will try to connect to the AS400 through a switch. I talked to a friend who had some experience with these devices and he thinks that the Ethernet port may be disabled which would explain why it had no link lights.

Since my last post, I have gotten the Twinax cable and brick for the server. The owner didn't realize that she had not given them to me. I connected 9 pin connector on the end of the 4-port Twinax brick (IBM P/N 72X5645) to the DB9 port on the back on the 400 (see pic). There was no connector for the thin white connector that is there. I connected the twinax male to male cable to port 0 of the Twinax brick and the Twinax connector labelled "OUT" on the 3488-V. Unfortunately this made no difference. Does anyone know if there is anything particular that must be done when connecting the first terminal?

Sounds good so far. If the terminal isn't auto-terminating, you will need a tinwax terminator on the other side if there is one.

You might have to play with the terminal settings to get the log in. Also, make sure the as/400 is booting with normal IPL.

I believe that the normal IPL is occurring. I do get an error for the missing tape drive after it loads. Would this prevent a login screen? How can I tell if the terminal is auto-terminating? Where would the twinax terminator go? On the "OUT" Twinax connector of the 3488-V?

It's possible that the missing tape drive could stop the IPL, that one I'm not sure on. I don't think it will, but I don't know for sure.

Whats the terminal make/model? And yes, a terminator would go to the "out" connector. Twinax is a daisy chain.

I have a 3488 Display Station so I am using a straight monitor (took one from one of my pc's). I did get an IBM monitor (CRT, not flat screen) with the 400 (model 6546-4AN) but I ASSUMED that it was just a monitor so I could use any I had.

I'll take a look and see if I can find anything about the tape drive error and IPL loading. Thanks for the lead.

I nosed around a bit and discovered that there is no tape drive in the AS/400. It's just a empty cage with a cover. I called the last owner of the AS/400 and she is going to give it some thought. I am hopeful that she will remember something (like the Twinax terminator or missing tape drive....)

Back