• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Someone to make me a cable- IIGS Monitor to Amiga RGB

AppleIIfan

Banned
Looking for someone to make me a monitor cable

I would like to connect a an Apple IIGS RGB Display to a Commodore Amiga 1200

Thanks

My issue is I cant solder at all, stupid carpal tunnel, Id drop the soldering iron on myself

My issue is I cant solder at all, stupid carpal tunnel, Id drop the soldering iron on myself

This is borrowed from AtariAge

"Commodore 1084d & 1084dS Analog/Digital Connector
9 PIN D-SUB FEMALE viewed at the monitor

Pin Name Analog Mode Digital Mode
1 GND Ground Ground
2 GND Ground Ground
3 R Red Red
4 G Green Green
5 B Blue Blue
6 I not used Intensity
7 CSYNC Composite Sync not used
8 HSYNC not used Horizontal Sync
9 VSYNC not used Vertical Sync

of the DB-9 at the 1080/1084 monitor.

What's NOT apparent is that you'll need to wire a 75 Ohm resistor between composite sync and ground at the DB-9 end of the cable to attenuate the sync signal so that the commodore monitor is happy with it.

I built this cable. It works, with the resistor added "

You Have to find 1/8 watt 75ohm resistor so it can fit in the DB 15 case. Redmond cable should be able to make them. http://www.redmondcable.com/. But I would want a nice easy to understand pin out of both sides with the resistor. The cable will cost a bit.

But I think you may need a better print out. I seen one in computer shopper years ago with the resistor. I built my own for to use the IIgs on a Sony 13 tv/ that had analog for the RGB.

BTW can't seem to find any Apple II items from Silicone Alley Recyclers in Warren. Seems 2 people buy all their Apple that they take in.
Take Care

Wouldn't this be hooking a Digital RGB Amiga to an Analog RGB Apple monitor? Can you do that? I know the 1084s does both on one DB9 connector, but there is a button to switch between the two. 80 column C128 is analog, Amiga is digital, if I remember correctly. Or I could be completely lost. :)

Well with a combination of adapters I was able to get the IIGS to display the amiga video signal perfectly, other then the vertical sync not staying.. and thats due to the composite sync being out I think

Wouldn't this be hooking a Digital RGB Amiga to an Analog RGB Apple monitor? Can you do that? I know the 1084s does both on one DB9 connector, but there is a button to switch between the two. 80 column C128 is analog, Amiga is digital, if I remember correctly. Or I could be completely lost. :)

In general, it doesn't hurt anything to feed a digital signal into an analog input, as long as you don't exceed the maximum voltage. Digital signals are made up of analog signals within certain voltage ranges. Does this make sense? I don't feel like I'm explaining this very well.

80 column C128 is analog, Amiga is digital,

Not lost, just backward. C128 RGB is the same RGBI as a IBM CGA Style. Digital

The Amiga is RGB Analog, but the problem with it is all the different modes that it supports including PAL/NTSC, Interlaced and non. Some monitors won't display all of them, just some or if the monitor works, it's constant adjusting of the Vertical size. (My NEC LCD that supports 15k cuts off the bottom of all the pal screens)

Later,
dabone

The Amiga is RGB Analog, but the problem with it is all the different modes that it supports including PAL/NTSC, Interlaced and non. Some monitors won't display all of them, just some or if the monitor works, it's constant adjusting of the Vertical size. (My NEC LCD that supports 15k cuts off the bottom of all the pal screens)
The Amiga provides both analog and digital RGB outputs. The digital RGB output was not used by Commodore's own monitors, but was intended to provide compatibility with CGA-type PC monitors, at the expense of only displaying 16 out of the Amiga's total palette of 4096 colors.

p.s. Or at least that's the case with NTSC Amigas. Since there is no such thing as PAL CGA, then maybe the digital RGB output is not present on PAL Amigas.

In general, it doesn't hurt anything to feed a digital signal into an analog input, as long as you don't exceed the maximum voltage. Digital signals are made up of analog signals within certain voltage ranges. Does this make sense? I don't feel like I'm explaining this very well.

Most computer monitors are amazing tolerant of over-voltage signals. You're probably okay as long as the signal never rises above 5V. I drive a VGA LCD monitor (0.7V is 100% signal level) with an AT&T PC6300 (TTL signal levels). It works fine. One of these days, I'll add a voltage divider...

Most computer monitors are amazing tolerant of over-voltage signals. You're probably okay as long as the signal never rises above 5V. I drive a VGA LCD monitor (0.7V is 100% signal level) with an AT&T PC6300 (TTL signal levels). It works fine. One of these days, I'll add a voltage divider...

Huh? How do you do it? details please chuck

Looking for someone to make me a monitor cable

I would like to connect a an Apple IIGS RGB Display to a Commodore Amiga 1200

Thanks

Talk to this guy, he made a cable for me(mini dim to dim), and it's perfect, send to him the pin diagram, the what to do list, and I bet he can make this!

I've made cables before. It sounds like you need a sync cleaner though. I think I have schematics here somewhere for one, and I'm actually handy with a soldering iron.

Back