• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Letting go of a collection is hard

Ernest LS

I've finally decided to sell my large collection of Apple II clones. It's a big step for me but it needs to happen. So today, I began testing and photographing the systems and writing the formal listings for Ebay. Ugh. This is depressing! I knew it would be hard but geez. I didn't expect to feel so sad about it. The odd part is that I haven't even seen these computers (out of the box) in at least 10 years so why should I feel so sentimental about them? I don't know but I'm not enjoying letting go.

I know how you feel, I couln't stand letting go of some of my prized PCs. If you already haven't posted them on Ebay, you might consider selling them on this forums "for sale" section.

heh, that may elongate the process. I do feel your pain though. It's odd isn't it, but you're getting it to other enthusiasts and collectors and historians so it's giving others the opportunity to learn and enjoy.

As a collector and historian, I enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. I also enjoyed taking each system apart, cleaning the grunge off, and restoring them to working order. I would try to discover whatever I could about the companies who made these computers and whenever possible, I made contact with the actual people who helped design them. I cultivated friendships with fellow vintage computer collectors and spent hundreds of hours building a website about what I had found. So in many ways, it's not just a bunch of old computer junk that selling, it's more like I'm letting go of a part of my life that I thoroughly enjoyed at one time. Letting go of these systems IS the right thing for me to do but its not a pleasant experience at all.

Not there yet, but it will be hard. Even depressing. It would be like you are disappearing. Becoming smaller. Less important and interesting. I would suggest of getting rid of your back up, backups first. I have seen too many do this, getting rid of everything. Giving it away. Like ripping off a band aid, to get all the pain over with. Then to try to buy it all back losing $$$ in the process. We all have been conditioned to acquire things, gather as much as we can. But never of having less.
I think the trick is to stay active in it. Even in some small way. Me I have a bunch of project planned, (in my head) will they happen maybe. One is to make disk images of the software that is not on any of the FTP sites. Starting to make disk images of Disk of the Month IIgs. Will have Antoine put these up on his FTP site.
Take Care & Good luck to you.

If I havn't looked at a machine in 10 years I don't think parting with it would be a big deal. The only exception is my Timex 2068 which I got new in 1983 and havn't done much with in 20+ years since I moved onto other machines. Today I got in a box of Timex software to finally enjoy the stuff I was missing when the machine was new. Most likely after this experiment is over I will be finally getting rid of it.

I don't know which is worse, having to dig them out of storage to get rid of them, or digging out the ones you want to keep and finding that they don't work anymore. :(

Electronics often fail from not being used.

The same is ESPECIALLY true for analog synths. Dunno how people can let them linger in silence.

Any stuff I don't use, I get rid of. Which is why I'm thinking of getting rid of my 5160, and the macs.

So, while we're on the topic, would you like to share your ebay id? At least you'll have other enthusiasts and collectors aware of your systems. I always get frustrated putting things in the collection away too lol. You find lots of toys you don't really use but the minute they're in your hand all of a sudden you want to use it again or remember all the things you did discover with it.

lol, I'm trying to help with the positive attitude ;-) Besides, I would think it'd be worse if he was already posting some of the items on ebay and they weren't getting the attention they deserve.

Hi Ernest -

I saw a number of clones on eBay today, and figured they were yours. You might want to hold off on listing more - flooding the marketplace lowers the prices in general. You might make out better financially if you mete them out more slowly.

I'm with Ken Gagne in wondering why you're selling off your collection.

Good luck with the sales!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

Back