• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Getting mac+ os disks

Elvi

Experienced Member
Ok so i got this mac+ from a friend that i know also had the os disks but when i got the computer they were gone so now i'm wondering if theres anyway to get a copy of them via a pc or something and i know about that 400/800k issue with pc's and the mac and i also have no other mac i can use for this.

I know the disk images can be downloaded online (legal?) and 1.44MB images can be written to a physical disk with a program called HFVExplorer. However I do not know if 800K images can be written in a PC drive. Worth a try.

I don't see any OS disks for the mac+ on there and the mac+ doesn't have a hard drive anyway so it needs to be a boot diskette with os, think the last that was run on it was something like v6 or there around.

platatomi
i highly doubt that that app can actually write 800k diskettes and doing it on pc is even harder from what i gather anyway.

I think the problem here is Elvi is wanting to write out 800k images to a 1.44MB disk in a PC. To my knowledge it can't be done (I'd be gladly proved wrong).

I think the best option would be to beg, borrow or buy a Systems disk from someone who can produce 800k Mac disks. The rescuemyclassic.com site mentioned above might be a good option.

Tez

Elvi.. I can make you a set of SSW 6.0.8 or 7.0.1 on 800k Cover the shipping and ill make some up

Steve

yep... can't write double density Mac floppies from a PC, since the Mac uses GCR encoding and the disk controllers on the PC uses MFM. Only way to do it is with a Mac, an Apple II, or an Amiga.

i do have an amiga 500 with dual "bioses" 1.3 and 3.1 but no way to transfer anything to it, a friend ownd that amiga before that's why it's moded, even has a ide 1.2gb drive heh

this site http://lowendmac.com/compact/macintosh-plus.html seems to indicate even 7.55 was doable on the + but i really can't remember if it was just 6 it had on it the last time it was tried and NOTE no hard drive, just saying this again cause it seems some people think it has one.

Last edited:
I forgot one caveat for using the Amiga... I believe you also need to use a Mac "emulator" card like an A-MaxII or Emplant, since Mac DD floppies are also dual speed.

If you can find a 90s Mac with built-in ethernet, that is a convenient way to make Mac disks from disk images. I keep a Performa around for this purpose. It has made several floppies for my Mac Plus with success.

Well now i've found 2 mac's that can do this, an lc 3 and lc 475 both with system 7.1 on them BUT none of them have stuffit expander on them so i can't extract any bin files :(
The lc3 thought has a network card in it and i've managed to get it on the net but the next problem is that is had netscape 2 on it and it won't save in binary just text.

Anyway some of you know this already via the irc channel and what i've tried but maybe some of you that doesn't know about this could give some ideas, if i just got the image over to 1 of these mac's i could then make a system 6.x floppy boot image for my mac+ so it has something to start.

I've tried to get this going for a few days now but i'm just too much of a mac noob and i think these LC's are the newest mac's i have.

Well now i've found 2 mac's that can do this, an lc 3 and lc 475 both with system 7.1 on them BUT none of them have stuffit expander on them so i can't extract any bin files :(
The lc3 thought has a network card in it and i've managed to get it on the net but the next problem is that is had netscape 2 on it and it won't save in binary just text.

Anyway some of you know this already via the irc channel and what i've tried but maybe some of you that doesn't know about this could give some ideas, if i just got the image over to 1 of these mac's i could then make a system 6.x floppy boot image for my mac+ so it has something to start.

I've tried to get this going for a few days now but i'm just too much of a mac noob and i think these LC's are the newest mac's i have.

The LCs should work excellent for making disk images, you can probably get stuffit from a PC over to the LC either on a PC floppy disk or FTP. OS7 should read PC formatted disks since it should have PC Exchange built into it.

Will Netscape2 do FTP? if it will I would bet it can save binary that way. Thats another option.

You could also try installing the executor emulator (setupexecutor.exe) on a PC, and copy stuffit to a Mac formatted disk from that (it will only read/write 1.44 Mac disks, as described earlier in this thread, PC floppy drives will not do apple 800k format).

the lc 3 does have pc exchange on it BUT it will NOT read dos formated disks, beats me why, it just want's me to format them every time, doesn't matter if it's 720kb or 1.44mb.

i'll see about netscape and the emulator.

HOORAY!!!
I got stuffit 4 on my lc 3 making it be able to extract and install other software needed to make a bootfloppy for my mac +
I can finnaly use it :D

Thanks RWallmow, you helped me alot, that emulation software really did the trick :D
A 1000 thanks man :)

HOORAY!!!
I got stuffit 4 on my lc 3 making it be able to extract and install other software needed to make a bootfloppy for my mac +
I can finnaly use it :D

Thanks RWallmow, you helped me alot, that emulation software really did the trick :D
A 1000 thanks man :)
Glad to hear you are up and running!!!

That emulator is really great, and its fully legal/legit since its using its own Mac compatible ROM & OS, and since about 2006 or so the author released it free (including portions of its source), it had previously been a commercial closed product.

Back