• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Lost, all in one, controller card

So I would need to add a MAX-232 and a resistor pack that is nifty.

Price technical i can have 3 16C550 for the price of one 16C552 I need a PGA socket for the later one and that should be added to the price, I suppose i shouldn't take the added Centronics port for granted though...
Hm price technical i would go for the 16C550 I could even piggy back it on top of the other if i keep a eye out for shortages, and if i need the extra board space.(I know it's a bad practice, and i would need to wire the other address and IRQ lines)

But this totally omits my goal and that is to use standard Logic components, I do agree it's a good alternative, to keep BOM short and the wiring down, I might actually go for it if i wanted to make a full board.

It comes in a PLCC-68 package. Like with DIP packages, PLCCs only need to be socketed if you plan on removing them. J leads are easy to solder and easier overall if you plan on etching your own board.

EEguru fixing prints is what i do for a living.
Having the connections under the IC is a bad idea if there is needs for manual rework like the removal of a shortage between pins.
Outside a mass production line i wouldn't consider this a design option for above said reason.

To be honest I like the use of sockets on hard to get parts like customs and CPU's and even memory, this can mean the difference between dead beyond repair and salvage.

Back