• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vacations in Brazil

lucasdaytona

Veteran Member
Hello,
I was doing a little research, and almost everyone thinks that Brazil is only Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo... nobody knows how BIG this country is. And I became curious, anyone here are planning a vaction on Brazil? I can give some real good advises!

See ya!

Hello,
I was doing a little research, and almost everyone thinks that Brazil is only Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo... nobody knows how BIG this country is. And I became curious, anyone here are planning a vaction on Brazil? I can give some real good advises!

See ya!

Maybe... for WorldCup.

If I do, I suppose you're going to ask me to bring a 5150 in my luggage, right?

Maybe... for WorldCup.

If I do, I suppose you're going to ask me to bring a 5150 in my luggage, right?

dude, if you bring a 5150 to me, I will be your guide here, and find everything you will need here, for a 5150 I can be a personal translator!

by the way, I think that quarter-finals you be in my city! Belo Horizonte.
I do love soccer, real nice game. I used to play vintage soccer games, but they weren't good.

dude, if you bring a 5150 to me, I will be your guide here, and find everything you will need here, for a 5150 I can be a personal translator!

I thought that might get a rise out of you. :)

I've had people ask me to figure out the cost of shipping a 5150 to Brazil before, and I almost fell off my chair when I saw how much it was.

Wasn't Brazil one of the country that's rather anal about importing computers? (Created an instant market for local Apple cloners.) I wonder if that ... importation wall applies to someone lugging one in.

According to the local courier we use at work Brazil is one of the most difficult countries to ship anything to. There are lots of rules and regulations, and breaking any of them can result in per-day fines. One, for example, is to use some other ink colour than blue when filling in forms.

Last year we shipped some computer equipment there and (due to external circumstances) we used another shipper - with experience from shipping everywhere else but without Brazil experience. To avoid having the equipment stuck in customs they tried to work out everything in advance so that the shipment itself could sail through. This took nearly a year!

-Tor

Importing small things(up to an AT case) is nearly ok, sometimes I have to pay 70% tax, but the thing arrives. But some things, only can come in big shipments, like tires, if I buy a tire to my car in ebay, the seller will not be allowed to send it to me... Recently my brother bough two BF Goodrich to his car (1969 Dart), because national tires sucks... because the obscure importing laws, he have to buy then from a BIG importer, and these tires which costs near 130$ ends nearly in 440$ . And this nowdays, where these tires are being more cheap to buy...

Brazil customs suck! A local friend told me this: if the customs taxes are nearly 70%, pay it without complaining, because if you loose the process, you have to pay a lot of money in fines.

Brazil is a very very corrupt place, there's abusive taxes in everything, BUT is a super beautiful place, and the regular people are usually very nice to everyone. If anyone want vacations here, this is my advice, get some Brazilian to be your guide, or you will end loosing all your cash buying things for a far far higher price.

I do love Brazil, but I DO hate Brazil laws.

I really don't get the 70% thing, what if I say an item is worth like $5?

Well, If I buy something that costs $5 in USA, when this comes to the customs in Brazil, these guys (federal customs) have the right to make me pay a tax of 70% of $5 = USD 3.5, the total cost will be 5 + 3.5 = $8.5 for a product of $5, SUCH A BIG TAX HUH?

usually, these taxes are random, but if your item have a value of $70 or more then is very likely to fall into the 70% tax. My brother bough a car part for $225, the shipping was $75, with the tax, the total was : $510 (the tax could include shipping sometimes)

did you get it?

real sad situation.

That is pretty odd and unfortunate. I don't quite understand the justification other than to punish folks not buying locally. I haven't had the experience of trying to export anything out of the country during a sale but it does seem like a huge pain in the rear on both sides, then the waiting in customs or possibility of incorrect paperwork and it seems like it wouldn't be worth the risk for a smaller purchase or sale. I get nervous waiting for shipments any time I do a sale lol hoping it gets here or there and neither party tries to pull outta the deal or scam (I've had good luck but still I'm on edge every time) or just having it sit on my porch until I get there is nerve racking.

Not to hijack the topic but here in the US there was an almost interesting news article regarding physical stores starting to rally up to manufacturers to compete with online store prices. Apparently target and a few others (and I already have seen this at BestBuy and Walmart and a few others) decided that they think people walk into the store, see an item for sale, then use their phone to look up the best price online which isn't theirs and they buy it online after seeing the product in the store. Instead of price matching or lowering prices they want to pressure manufacturers to make proprietary models for their store so noone can match the SKU or product. It's sort of popular here for a store to SAY they'll price match other stores, however when you look at that item (laptop, washer/dryer, other appliances) you'll rarely ever find that specific model in any other store because they get renamed or made for sole distribution. Kinda a slow but growing scam now that makes it hard to ever compare products/prices.

You're certainly correct though, so many countries (US is pretty easy to point the finger) have little to no insight into other countries and what there is to offer outside of the carnival cruiseline destinations. Do you have some pictures somewhere out of curiosity? I always love seeing the beauty of other places. It's always amazed me just even from walking from south Texas to Mexico once how the tree species change and so many things never seen before.

Back