• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite DOS Games!

My favorite by far is Raptor Call of the Shadows.
I love virtually all of the old apogee releases, but that one was the best!

only 1 say quake in this long thred :eek: well i add my vote lol
think quake was my first full 3d game and it think i ran it on a pentium 133mhz 16mb ram and... 1mb s3 tri64... yeah hehe

anyway heres a litle list of some of my favorite dos games...

quake
duke nukem 3d
heretic
hexen 1 & 2
doom 1 & 2, never playd thrue these games tho as they give me a bigger hickup and quake does LOL
transport tycoon & transport tycoon deluxe
simcity & simcity 2000
wolfenstein 3D
epic pinball
ducktales
prince of persia
stoneage
test drive series

Raptor was definitely a fun game. Good graphics and sound effects making the PC feel like an arcade machine. Once we had splurged for a midi setup and adlib sound card for our 486, our system finally started being able to play games comparable to what the Commodore and Amiga had been doing for years. Still it was exciting to listen to and start doing mods and enabling actual audio on some of the dos games that supported it opposed to the midi we'd been hearing.

Hello folks,

my favourite games are:

Commander Keen
XCOM
Lords of the Realm
7 Cities of Gold
Bundesliga Manager Professional
Lemmings
Monkey Island

Legend of Kyrandia series
Dune2
King Quest 1
Commander Keen 4
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Quake2
Terminal Velocity
C&C Tiberian Sun
Sim City

I could go on and on.... so many memories

Commander Keen
Wolf 3d
Doom 1 and 2
Duke Nukem 1 and 2
Grand Theft Auto. NOT the Playstation 3 crap either. The original top view GTA Circa 1990's
Raptor was good
Jazz Jack Rabbit 1 2 and Though not dos nor released, Jazz Jackrabbit 3, i found an alpha, it's based off the unreal engine, and it's actually pretty good.

For my demo at the last VCF South, to show off early x86 compatibles I ran Sopwith (a personal favorite) although I ended up disabling sound to keep from driving everyone nuts, Wheel of Fortune (dos), a Pacman clone I can't recall the name of, and Rogue.

The c64 I just grabbed a random disk case but pretty much ended up with Pac-man with a joystick on an sx-64 which was easily the most attractive game and system to most the crowd.

Man... I think that next year, all you guys should have VCF South during a Florida vacation... you know... we've got miles and miles of beaches... golf courses... Nascar crap... Disney/Universal/etc... and uh... then one would be close enough to where I could attend!! :D

(yes, I'm only joking - but the pix I've seen of the events look very cool)

I think we should start a thread with the best mods to favorite DOS games (making sure to exclude Wolf3D/Doom/Doom2/Duke3D/Quake mods - there're tons of websites already covering those games) - for instance, I know that there are level editors for Jetpack and some fantastic level packs for that game.. ditto for Chips Challenge (ran with the fantastic Tile World engine).. I'm sure that there's alot of mods out there that many of us have never heard of.. and it might be a little more fun that regurgitating the same (great) games in this thread :)

Funny Sopwith is mentioned...I have always liked that game, played it a lot myself. I have a copy of this game on vintagecomputer.net in the ibm section under programs. Thexter also comes to mind.

anyone like Astrotit?

DOS has so many gaming masterpieces... One of my top platform games are the Dangerous Dave series... I have a soft spot for the "Risky Rescue" episode:

xmqt4x.jpg

For me, KQ6 was the most memorable, as it's the one that I played the most... over and over and over :) A close second would be the remake of KQ1, as it was the first KQ that I laid eyes on back in high school... i remember my jaw dropping at the graphics being drawn on our CGA 5150 (this was before I knew ANYTHING about computers, and I thought the 5150 was the bomb - note that this was circa 1990/1991 - rather funny to me, now)

I have to admit, although the list of games I never played to completion is quite large, the (first?) Kings Quest was so slow on my 8088 I never got that far. I must have received them out of order but I already played and enjoyed The Black Cauldron before I saw Kings Quest (very similar game/loading screen style). The pain was waiting for the new area to render whenever you left that screen. I remember finally getting a hard drive which made it less painful than asking for the other disk and waiting for it to load all the data off the floppy but still it lost my interest before I was able to get too far.

Been a long time, since I started out with a 8086 it was my children who liked games, the cost of the computer one would have to sign their house away! I had an EGA Monitor and Covax speech thing, and I loved "Sticky Bear ACB's" so many years drifted away. I'm not sure if the following games worked on it as I usually used it for keeping records, I loved the flintstones (never could make it past the tar pit) loved Jack Nicholus golf and my all time fave was CD-Man, buy I remember it would only work with a VGA. Ice Man was cool too, one of the few I actually lived through and finished! Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
Back