• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Space Eggs Catalogue Listing

Mister_Alex

Experienced Member
Not sure if this helps anyone analyze what, if anything, is wrong with my Space Eggs disks, but here is the catalogue listing from Apple Utilities. It's still kind of odd that when I try to 'copy' the disks it tells me they're damaged, yet the files can still be read properly.
Also, the computer I use is an Apple II C if that helps. :)

Disk Name: Vol 6
Disk Format: DOS 3.2
- - - - -

Sirius Software ABasic 2
Space Eggs Binary 91
Space Eggs #2 Binary 34
Space Eggs #3 Binary 34
Applesoft IBasic 2

5 Files Listed 163 Sectors Listed 240 Available

I'm guessing the problem is that the diskette was formatted in DOS 3.2 format -- the bulk of most games for the Apple II came out in DOS 3.3 -- DOS 3.2 is 13-sector format, 3.3 is 16-sector format. If you need to copy it from 3.2 to 3.3, there's a program called MUFFIN (I think it came on the DOS 3.3 System Master disk) to copy files from the 3.2 diskettes to 3.3 diskettes -- but more than likely, since was a commercially released program, it has some sort of copy-protection on the diskette and you will need a program like Copy II+ or Locksmith to copy the diskette in full.

First thing that jumps out it is Dos3.2. Not Dos3.3 Possibly IntgerBasic with the Applesoft Ibasic 2.

What are you using to catalog the disk? What are you using to copy the disk?

I would say you would need a Dos3.2 system master to read and copy it. A Dos3.3 system master will not do it as far as I know. Unless you convert the Dos3.2 13sector disk to a Dos3.3 16sector disk. Their are utilitiles that do this on the Dos3.3 system master disk. With one drive you may be doing of disk swapping.

Trying to remember what it was I believe it was muffin that would convert the 13 to 16 sector disks. If you have interger basic programs you may need to boot the system master first which will load it, than catalog the disk you want to run and run the main program from that disk. It should run fine as interger basic is loaded so it can run any files that start with the I prefix.

I am using Apple Utilities For ProDOS 1.1.1 to catalogue, and attempt copying.

Is it possible to load Integer BASIC or will I need to track down some software?

If you boot up the Dos3.3 system master it will load Integer Basic into ram. Take the disk out. Put in the disk with the Integer catalog it. Run the hello program or start up program by typing its name and you are good to go.

I guess I have loads more studying on Apple II architecture to do. ^^
Could you give me a step by step process?

BTW. If it helps anyone, I'l gladly mail out one of the disks to someone who's willing to give it a shot.

Hi,
We can try and walk you thur it. Do not need the disk, as I will be busy with taxes and other things. Now Applesoft has a square blinking cursor. Integer Basic has < blinking cursor.

This is once you have made the disk with the 3.2 into a 3.3

First you need the Apple Dos3.3 system master.

Boot disk. It will say loading Integer Basic.

From there you want to get the prompt. To do that hit control esc together if I remember right.

Take the disk out, load the disk with the integer basic.

Then with the caps locked type CATALOG and return. All files will now come up.

One of these will be the main file. If it has B for the prefix then you must type BRUN and the files name. Other wise RUN and the files name. Then hit the return key.

Eventually you will find the right file that is the so called "hello" start up program.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm. I thought I had the Apple Dos Master Disk. Guess getting Space Eggs to work will have to go n the back burner. . . .

Still, if anyone out there is willing, I'd love to loan them the disk just to see if it works. It is a very fun game-much better than the arcade game on which it is based. :)

The thing is, game disks like this are supposed to boot. You shouldn't have to go digging around in the files. Something is wrong with it. You might be able to start copying the file, but you might just hit disk errors (the same damage preventing it from booting) anyway. Either that, or some kind of copy protection might prevent you from getting at the data.

Just download a fresh copy: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/appl...ingzero_sneakers_spaceeggs_spacequarks.dsk.gz

-Ian

There may be nothing wrong with the disk. It is Dos3.2 which the machine can no longer boot. So you have to do a work around. Or convert it. Or he can D/L one already converted and cracked on a disk image. So people just like the fun of doing it all themselves.

There may be nothing wrong with the disk. It is Dos3.2 which the machine can no longer boot.

Right. Forgot about that. Shows you the last time I worked with a DOS 3.2 disk.

If it really is a 13 sector 3.2 disk, then you'll have to use something like MUFFIN on the system master to copy the files to a 3.3 disk. IIRC Copy II+ could also do that.

-Ian

I really never ran across any 3.1 disks. Not sure I would be able to read or save them. Or if it would worth it since most good things were converted as time went on.

What about formatting it with Apple Systems Utilities?

It is kinda funny, though. I have other games by Sirius Software and they work fine.

Hi,
Formatting a disk with any utilities wipes out what is on that disk. It erases the entire disk. You want convert and copy it. Copying it on to a ProDos disk will not work either. Some programs might. But 99% wont if they were Dos based to begin with.

Back