• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Lost a lot of memory on my NEC v20 system

Robin4

Veteran Member
I had just installed compaq dos 3.31 latest version (i think version G)(have the newer command prompt. And sees the directory if iam in it.)
I installed the bus mouse with IRQ 3 and uses microsoft drivers that were included with ms windows 3.0 (installed on the VGA WONDER+ bus mouse port)
I had installed windows 3.0
Installed the highresolution drivers for ATI VGA wonder + under windows 3.0 as 800x600.

It automaticly installed himem.sys on my system, but need to remove that line from de config.sys.
I also installed IOMEGA software to see if it could run on my NEC v20 so i could use a SCSI zip drive on it.

Now i have a little big problem.. I have only 446KB of memory left. And that isnt enough to run checkit of microsoft diagnostics.. I want to know where the memory has bin.. Did windows 3.0 take almost of the memory? Is it possible to use extended memory as a add-on memory card and could it be used with windows 3.0?I like to have windows 3.0 on it, because its runs nicely on my rig.

Could one of these drivers / software run on a memory extended, or expanded board.. Then i have more memory free to run programs.

I have only 446KB of memory left. ... Did windows 3.0 take almost of the memory? .
Yes, Windows is a big memory hog. Is that 446K before or after windows is started? If it' the latter, that's pretty good for a V20 Machine. I can only manage 430K after loading Win 3.0 on my HEAVILY modded 5155! That's with DOS and Command.com and all drivers and tsr's loaded in UMB. I have 631K available BEFORE loading windows. As far as extended memory, no that won't happen on a V20. Expanded is possible, but is slow, and i'm not sure if Windows 3.0 can make use of it.

As Chuck say's, let's see your config.sys and autoexec.bat

I think you could do mem /c or mem /p to print out what's taking memory in dos. Obviously having your GUI loaded though will take a good chunk. You could also bypass it all during a dos boot with F5 (ugh.. I can't believe my eyes actually looked at F5 like that would type anything) or holding shift during the loading ms-dos ..hm.. actually what version of dos are you on? IBM or Microsoft?

How much total memory does the system have?

If anything I would say that the Iomega Zip drivers are taking up a lot of space.

Its a STJUKO clone board.. with a total of 1024KB memory installed.. He uses 640KB of base memory the other part is only for memory mapping i guess. It can be used for programs..
Would extended memory on a memory board fixing this problem, so then i have more base memory left..
I like to use Microsoft windows 3.0 too..

Let's see your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. That should tell the story.

I dont know how can edit or copy system setting.. like config.sys or autoexec.bat..

Yes, Windows is a big memory hog. Is that 446K before or after windows is started? If it' the latter, that's pretty good for a V20 Machine. I can only manage 430K after loading Win 3.0 on my HEAVILY modded 5155! That's with DOS and Command.com and all drivers and tsr's loaded in UMB. I have 631K available BEFORE loading windows. As far as extended memory, no that won't happen on a V20. Expanded is possible, but is slow, and i'm not sure if Windows 3.0 can make use of it.

As Chuck say's, let's see your config.sys and autoexec.bat

Yes i know that windows likes memory very much.. Didnt know that it could eat the base memory like that..
I didnt checked it before i installed windows 3.0 on my computer. I seen it later when i want to run microsoft diagnostics and checkit utility tools.. that the system couldnt run it, because off lack of memory..
Why couldnt i use extended memory on this V20 machine?? Its just like a ISA board plugged in and installing software, or does windows 3.0 work with extended memory?

I think you could do mem /c or mem /p to print out what's taking memory in dos. Obviously having your GUI loaded though will take a good chunk. You could also bypass it all during a dos boot with F5 (ugh.. I can't believe my eyes actually looked at F5 like that would type anything) or holding shift during the loading ms-dos ..hm.. actually what version of dos are you on? IBM or Microsoft?

Ok, i will try later to see whats in config.sys and autoexec.bat if i have more time and how i know what would work..

Iam using Compaq dos 3.31 Release G (with the new command prompt like MS-DOS 6.22)

Last edited:
You could back up your autoexec.bat and config.sys and try memmaker if it's MS-DOS 6.x or higher to see if it can figure out any good tricks to put things in highmem, etc. I haven't used it for a long time but a wikipedia user implies you can run it with /undo if it doesn't satisfy your issues to undo that changes it made.

Back