• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5160 SMartwatches

That's just plain weird. The DS1215 chip has to be accessed by firing a specified pattern of 64 bytes at it. Not something that helps much--I think the datasheet says the chance of it happening by accident is something akin to winning 10 consecutive jackpots on the slots at Vegas.

Just tobe sure I'm not mistaken, U19 is the one closest to the right edge of the board (same side as power connectors), Right?

I have a DS1216E on a STJUKO CLONE (flytek) motherboard. I can confirm it works perfect underneath the bios rom IC.

The bad is it cant be detected by older system utils. But iam was almost beware about that..

The good is:
You dont need a RTC card for it.. Mostly they doesnt work anymore.. And if they do it probably doesnt support the YEAR 2000..
Now you arent dependent on a seperate card.. Now its installed under the bios ROM chip.

Just use TESTCLK and you can see if the clock is working or not..

And with CLOCK.EXE you can display and set it..

That's strange. I was only able to get the software from Brutman's site to work when the DS1216E was in U18. It did not respond when it was in U19(unless using the "No-Slot-Clock" software in my previous post). Is it possible you've got the facts reversed?
I've just looked at the 5160 motherboard circuit diagram (256K motherboard), and the diagram shows the U19 socket starting at F0000 and the U18 socket starting at F8000.

Just tobe sure I'm not mistaken, U19 is the one closest to the right edge of the board (same side as power connectors), Right?
Right. And you'll find that "U18" and "U19" are silk screened on the motherboard.

I've just looked at the 5160 motherboard circuit diagram (256K motherboard), and the diagram shows the U19 socket starting at F0000 and the U18 socket starting at F8000.

Right. And you'll find that "U18" and "U19" are silk screened on the motherboard.

Well then the software must be set for F8000 because the chip is definitely in U18. It was previously in U19, and the testclk.exe and clock.exe as well as rdclock.com did not work untill I moved it to the other socket(U18 ). And yes I did see the silk screen but since the cover is now in place I just wanted to double check as I can remember that the bottom of drive b was very close to the top of the Bios Prom when the ds1216E was under it and it was near the edge of the board but now it's in the next socket over.

Last edited:
Stupid question here.

Is this the same 5160 with the 1Meg GAL mod? If so, you may want to give it a try with the standard ROM in it. Given that the mapped in area is E000-F000, I wonder if there might be a tie-in...

Stupid question here.

Is this the same 5160 with the 1Meg GAL mod? If so, you may want to give it a try with the standard ROM in it. Given that the mapped in area is E000-F000, I wonder if there might be a tie-in...

Yep, same one(although, actually it's a 5155, but of course since it uses the same Motherboard, that doesn't realy matter). However, I tried the software from Brutman's sight before I did the 1 Meg mod and got the same results.

Another strange symptom;
If I set the DS1216 with Clkinit.com from "No-Slot-Clock" software, then read the clock with clock.exe from Brutman's site the year is 20 years ahead (2032)! If I set it with Clock.exe and read it with same it give the correct year. However if I then read it with Xtclock.com from "No-Slot-Clock" software, the it reads 1992. So I guess there is a differnce in translation.

I managed to get the chip to work, and it works nicely.
If you used the software at mbbrutman's web site, which socket did the DS1216E work in - U18 or U19 ?

But one Caveat with it, i can't have my AST sixpack plus in it while formatting an MFM Hard drive, my adaptec rll controller doesn't work with it installed, and the only vga board i can use and have everything is my Headland VRAM II 1mb board, which i found out, looks for openings in the bios and plunks itself neatly in a hole, thus saving me troubles, once it's done formatting my ST-251-1 i'm going to put my six-pack plus back in and see if everything works properly.
If you upgraded the CPU to a V20, try reverting it to an 8088.

Attached is the no-slot-clock programs I found on the JDR BBS archive. I don't know if they'll make a difference, but what the hey...

I've dropped JDR an email to see if they've got the entire content of their BBS kicking around. If they do, would anyone like to host the files? Some pretty useful stuff there.

Attachments

• NOSLOT.ZIP
    4.2 KB · Views: 2
Back