• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PET cartridge?

That connects to the tape port, and by 90% chance of likeliness simply is a dongle to let you run some business software. Call it copy protection if you want, it will simulate a combination of keys on a tape recorder pushed down and the software wouldn't run without it.

It might contain some circuit with built-in software though, but it probably took until the latter half of the 1980's until those became available. I remember a security system for the C64 that loaded its software through a similar dongle. Try LOAD without parameters and see if you get anything happening.

LOAD did nothing.

The Commodore 8032-sk it came with does have a manual for something called "Comtext" and the computer seems to have roms for that aswell, so i guess it is used as copy protection for that then...
Here's some pictures:
Photo 24-02-12 16.25.18.jpgPhoto 24-02-12 16.55.01.jpgPhoto 24-02-12 16.55.54.jpg

Yup. Apparently putting part of the program in utility ROM wasn't enough to prevent unauthorized use, so a number of applications supplied a such dongle as well.

The CBM-II series actually has a real cartridge port for which there are a few cartridge programs. However some of the cartridges I've seen appear to work as ROM dongles, as the chip inside the cartridge was a PET/VIC character ROM and the CBM-II computers have no real use of an external character ROM other than to compare memory contents with what is expected to be present.

Back