• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally own an 8" hard drive! Memorex Model 101... NIB!!

I seem to recall seeing documentation online that can enable you to connect an 8" drive to a 5 1/4" drive connector, but these drives require 24v to operate, so you'd have to use a separate power supply.

And if you're going to risk blowing it up, please trade me for my 8" drive which is in dire need of refurbishment.

Unpark the heads before you power it on, and don't leave the room while it's running, as it may pop a cap if left running for too long. There should be a screw with a plastic or metal arm bolted to the side with an arrow that shows what direction to park/unpark the head. It's probably good for it to run for 30 minutes every six months or so. That is if it does not catch fire first.

I hope you can take good quality pictures should someone need them. You may someday regret damaging it before you know everything there is to know about it. But that's the historical preservationist in me speaking. It's your property, do what makes you happy.

I would sell the drive for $300+

Bill

I'm afraid of damaging hardware, and VERY afraid of damaging old hardware, those things will never be manufactured again, very nice piece of history, and even a rather common Pentium 100 cpu is something that deserves be well treated. I think I will never forgive myself for letting that 407MB Seagate Hard Drive fall into my feet, 12 years ago...

what sad moment.

Last edited:
I think I will never forget myself for letting that 407MB Seagate Hard Drive fall into my feet, 12 years ago...

what sad moment.

I have a bare 8" hard drive that weighs at least 10kg, If that fell on my foot, It would probably take my foot off:D
And I think the drive capacity is only 5-10 MB.

Yessir. Pre-PC, but present on a number of systems, including the Perq, my own Durango F85 and probably a fair number of S100 systems. (Shugart SA4000 series)

The way I remember them the replaceable-type Hawk disks must have been around 14" as well? IIRC they were 10MB harddisk 'packs', and you swapped one for another by inserting a handle at the top and removed the one in use, then replacing it with the other one. Made kind of sense when the disk sizes were only 10MB and there was lots of satellite data to store.. whenever you forgot to warn everybody that you were about to switch the disks you had to buy a cake (and take some vocal abuse from the guys who lost their work.. :))

I never measured them but I imagine them as slightly bigger than an LP, thus maybe 14"..

-Tor

Back