• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

eBay, last second bid, why?

Winning is fun only within reason

Winning is fun only within reason

To me, at least, eBay is a, sometimes frustrating, candy store. For reference, in the past 6 years, I've seldom bought more than a few items a month. I don't think I win more than 10% of the auctions I get serious about bidding in. That's ok though, because I'm never burdened over paying to much for an item either. I figure my max bid ahead of time and I stick to it. If the item is something I'm really wanting badly, I may go up another 10% in the last minute, but that's it. My fun is getting something for a great price that I wanted. So much so, that I rarely even go into a brick and mortar store anymore for my electronic wants. I buy off eBay. The shipping charges are a necessary evil, but worth it to me, or I wouldn't shop eBay. Besides the attraction of low price is the ability to shop for anything vintage you could ever imagine. My realm is restricted entirely to 'electronic things', so that's all I know, but being able to buy something 30 or 40 years old is a real kick to me. There are many other ways to acquire vintage goods, but eBay has been my choice since I retired. Hey, I'm old now - so letting my 'fingers do the walking' is much easier for me :)
Almost all the auctions I've lost are to someone who wasn't even in the bidding until the last few seconds. Sometimes I'll bid in the last minute hopefully to shake off any bidders that are manually 'live' bidding. Of course they may be doing the same thing. It can be frustrating to lose, but it would be more frustrating, at least to me, to pay more than I wanted. That would remove the fun factor. Hey, there'll be another day and another auction for maybe an equally attractive vintage item. I keep my patience, and just enjoy the game. Getting a box in the mail to open and hoping for that item that goes above your expectations is great fun too. In my case it reduces my age factor from age 68 to 6+8=14 :) I still can't believe of the 163 things I've bought in the past 6 years off eBay most all have been in such pristine condition. I consider myself good at 'reading' into auctions, but sometimes it seems that items I bought have been sitting in a closet or drawer for the past 35 years, going almost unused. I received several items with protective plastic still on their metal or plastic parts even! It may be that my patience in looking for 'just what I want' has paid off. I've found that when looking at an auction, if even one word isn't to my liking, I move along to another auction. I don't want to hear things like - 'I didn't test this' or 'it should work' or 'I don't have time to check it out'. I don't want to see things like fuzzy pictures taken with a camera phone. The more pictures the better. With so many like items for sale, I simply pick the best of the best to bid on. Patience is the key.

Example - This is one of my recent acquisitions arriving in just like brand new condition, manufactured in 1985! (Info about the calc is from rskey.org about the Casio version.)

attachment.php

I won this calculator on eBay for $2.25 - not bad, huh :)

There are a huge number of ebay sniping programs, often also promoted as "bid when you are not home/busy".
As far as I know ebay does not allow the use of it, however I'm not sure how they could detect them when you run it yourself.

eBay used to discourage them by changing the bid scripts (I recently tossed out a "RoboBid" disk that was useful for only a couple of months before eBay changed), but now they don't care and actually seem to cater to the sniping agents. Note that mine, eSnipe, is not a program that runs on my system, but rather has their own servers. In fact, when I'm on an auction page, a little window opens up for me to post a snipe.

It's the way things work now. eBay could conduct this as a traditional auction by extending the hammer every time a bid was placed, but if they did, they'd lose customers.

I don't consider a purchase winning, just a purchase--any more than a purchase made at a flea market.

What really annoys me is seeing the thing I wanted selling for 10p to £1 more than my bid.
But I spend too much on ebay as it is.

It's selling for that because that is likely what the auto bid increment is. The high bidder likely has a max bid way higher than yours. Auction items only sell for what the 2nd highest bidder is willing to pay.

It's selling for that because that is likely what the auto bid increment is. The high bidder likely has a max bid way higher than yours. Auction items only sell for what the 2nd highest bidder is willing to pay.

And what the 2nd highest bidder is willing to pay, usually depends on how "hot" the auction has become. By snipping in the last seconds, you avoid turning the auction "hot", and therefore what the 2nd highest bidder is willing to pay will be less than otherwise.

One thought to bear in mind - those that snipe have the time to do so, and can make themselves available at the end of whatever auction(s) that they're intending to snipe. While I've often been guilty of sniping auctions, I don't always have the time to do so. Others are just important enough to me that I don't want to risk not being able to snipe at the last second because I'm at work or whatever, so I bid my maximum early, and let the auto-proxy bids take over from there.

Generally speaking, however... I snipe. Not always successfully, but then, that's the thrill of it, isn't it?

You didn't by chance snipe that Server 95 did you?:D

I've never tried sniping, but when I needed a transfer kit for my laser printer, I lost five auctions in a row due to someone sniping them. Now I can win them.

One thought to bear in mind - those that snipe have the time to do so, and can make themselves available at the end of whatever auction(s) that they're intending to snipe. While I've often been guilty of sniping auctions, I don't always have the time to do so. Others are just important enough to me that I don't want to risk not being able to snipe at the last second because I'm at work or whatever, so I bid my maximum early, and let the auto-proxy bids take over from there.

There's no point to sticking around waiting to enter a bid at the last second. There are plenty of services that will do it for you--and they have higher-bandwidth connections--just tell them how many seconds before the hammer and they do it (for a small fee--but only if you are the top bidder). Or there is sniping software you can run on your own machine. Sitting around waiting is a waste of time.

I've never tried sniping, but when I needed a transfer kit for my laser printer, I lost five auctions in a row due to someone sniping them. Now I can win them.

As I said in my earlier post, the person that has the highest maximum bid when the auction ends wins the item. You lost the auction because someone had a higher bid. Not because of the snipe.

There is freeware sniping software out there too. Jbid is one, but it can be quirky. I use Auction Sentry (NOT freeware) and it works fine. Places the bid automatically without having to be in front of the computer when the auction ends. Of course you need to leave your computer turned on. If your computer crashes or reboots, then the bid won't get placed. I snipe just about everything. And yes, I do lose auctions, but only because I set a maximum bid that I won't go over. I don't get into bidding wars with anybody. And my toy box is still full.

No! But only because it was a BIN ;)

There's no point to sticking around waiting to enter a bid at the last second. There are plenty of services that will do it for you--and they have higher-bandwidth connections--just tell them how many seconds before the hammer and they do it (for a small fee--but only if you are the top bidder). Or there is sniping software you can run on your own machine. Sitting around waiting is a waste of time.

My post was directed more at those that, like me, haven't taken the time/effort to look into sniping software, whether pay-for or free. Mainly because if I did, I think my ebay addiction would be even worse!! laugh

Just kidding, one'll pop up eventually.

On the sixth transfer kit I found, I sniped it. This other guy put in a bid two seconds before it ended and I set the program to put in a bid one second before end time. Won it!

But still in theory if folks really put their max in their regular bidding, sniping wouldn't do any good. It's only useful to make it look like no interest and hope the first folks are low balling.

But still in theory if folks really put their max in their regular bidding, sniping wouldn't do any good. It's only useful to make it look like no interest and hope the first folks are low balling.

Exactly. It makes it so folks who have just been outbid (in the final seconds of an auction) can't reconsider and up their bid. As such it's to the buyers advantage because it gives them something close to the final say in the closing price. If they outbid the current high bidder then they win. If they don't then they force the high bid up to their price plus the increment.

There are lots of sniping sites which run scripts to bid for you on eBay. Those can be in the sellers favor if there are two or more motivated bidders. On those sites folks will put in their highest bid and they'll get set against the auction within the last few seconds. It's not totally uncommon for a snipe bidder to say "I've got to have this" and to put in a totally outrageous bid (one that they're not keen on other bidders "testing" during the course of an auction) set to go off late and designed to beat any rational bidder. If two people do this a $500 item could be bid up to $2,500 or more in the waning seconds...

Generally I see sniping as being similar to good poker. Don't lay down your cards unless you absolutely have to and if you do, do it as late as you can...

Exactly. "Auction fever". Something I refuse to participate in.

Yep. I'm with you and barythin. If I lose an auction because someone's exceeded my maximum bid then fair enough. Someone else has wanted the item more than me.

Tez

I always wait until the final seconds before bidding. When I won my PET 8032 on eBay, I put in my absolute highest amount in the last few seconds and it happened to be a dollar more than the high bidder's highest amount. If he would have had extra time to up his bid by a couple dollars then I wouldn't have won.

I also wait until the end of the auction so I don't spend more than I want to on an item. If I don't win with my highest bid in the last few seconds then I don't have any time left to try spending more. :D

Heather

If I don't win with my highest bid in the last few seconds then I don't have any time left to try spending more. :D

The wisest and most succinctly-put advice I've yet seen in this thread. Unfortunately, I haven't always heeded this advice - heck, there's an auction now that I REALLY REALLY want, and am already looking around to see what I need to sell off in order to justify it. Those kind've auctions that are once-in-a-blue-moon types, those kill me :)

Sniping is great--today I received an email that I'd won (via eSnipe) a very nice wire stripping kit for a song.

You fit the tool with the die and nosepiece for whatever gauge you're using and you get a clean, nickless strip--even on very fine wire. Although this is badged "Utica", it was made by Augat was never cheap. Indispensible if you do wire-wrap construction. There are also dies for stripping fiber.

I placed my bid 6 days ago and forgot about it. Got it for the opening price.

That's how I use eBay.

Back