• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel "Overdrive" socket and chip upgrading 486 CPU to Pentium technology?

33black

Experienced Member
I have this Packard Bell Multimedia Extreme that I purchased on Craigslist from a lady for $20. She really knew nothing about it, but I'm a fan of the old Packard Bells.

It has a motherboard with an Intel Overdrive socket, as well as an Overdrive chip (pictures included). It's model PODP5V63. I did a little research and found some stuff that says these were created to upgrade 486 CPUs to Pentium technology. It also says it's clocked at 63mhz...which is a weird number for the clock, right?

Outside of that I couldn't find much more about it. Anyone know the history behind these chips, any info about them?

It works, but acts really weird and doesn't boot completely all the time. I found the battery partially exploded and leaked on the motherboard. I'm going to desolder it and try to replace it and restore the computer. I'll have to find a replacement for the battery as well. Maybe just put a battery holder on there and then use replaceable batteries? Not sure.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7204/6986614189_cb33a6d8b2_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7206/6986608549_951216bfc2_z.jpg

Intel produced 2 Pentium Overdrive processors for the 486. They were clocked at 63MHz (25MHz x 2.5) and 83MHz (25MHz x 3.5). You can find additional info on this Wiki page

A quick Google search for Pentium Overdrive Processor will provide more links.

...They were clocked at 63MHz (25MHz x 2.5) and 83MHz (25MHz x 3.5)...

That rather should be 25MHz x 2.5 = 63MHz, and 33MHz x 2.5 = 83MHz...

The multiplier was 2.5, shown correctly on the wiki page you quoted...

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have looked a little closed at what I typed before I clicked on "Post Quick Reply". Sometimes I thing I may have a Bug in my memory control software.

Just gotta spend more time with it :)

My first system was a PB Legend 610 (still have it), and I long ago put an overdrive in it to get the DX/2-50mhz performance boost (was significant over the stock SX-25). I've recently come across a Pentium Overdrive that will work in it, and will most likely put it in that old PB... just because I couldn't afford that Pentium Overdrive back in the day - heck, it took me all year to save enough to buy the DX2-50 Overdrive!

Actually have one of these cpu NIB that a guy was selling on ebay not too long ago. The end result freq is based on your set freq. If the mobo can be set at 33, then you will be able to use the chip at 83mhz.

Too bad about the battery. If you are having issues I would lean to that event being the culprit :(

The end result freq is based on your set freq. If the mobo can be set at 33, then you will be able to use the chip at 83mhz.

Really!? I thought it was dependent upon the CPU that was installed, not what the motherboard was capable of?

My PB has a soldered-on 486sx-25, but the MB can be jumpered to support 33mhz. If I set that jumper and install an Overdrive, it's not going to "run" my original CPU as an OC? Wait.. brain kicks in... pin on the OD chip disables the original chip, so pulling the freqs from the MB makes perfect sense... MAN... wish I'd thought of that back in the day... the OD chip I bought would max at DX2-66. And that also means that my POPD OD will hit 83mhz... man... if I had a brain in my head to think of these things for myself, I'd be dangerous ;)

Google has been less than useful recently. I find myself going to either Duckduckgo.com, Dogpile.com, or Wolframalpha.com

Somehow I Googled it and came up with a page with significantly less information...

Thanks for the link.

I swear, sometimes I think Google is just trying to make me look like an idiot.

Really!? I thought it was dependent upon the CPU that was installed, not what the motherboard was capable of?...

I've only seen the last stepping marked as 83MHz (at the bottom of my chart). The removable fan on top of the casing affects speed too: Remove it, and the CPU drops any clock multiplying (back to 25 or 33MHz internally).

Really!? I thought it was dependent upon the CPU that was installed, not what the motherboard was capable of?

My PB has a soldered-on 486sx-25, but the MB can be jumpered to support 33mhz. If I set that jumper and install an Overdrive, it's not going to "run" my original CPU as an OC? Wait.. brain kicks in... pin on the OD chip disables the original chip, so pulling the freqs from the MB makes perfect sense... MAN... wish I'd thought of that back in the day... the OD chip I bought would max at DX2-66. And that also means that my POPD OD will hit 83mhz... man... if I had a brain in my head to think of these things for myself, I'd be dangerous ;)

Don't you love those "Aha!" moments? It should work exactly that way.

I have this Packard Bell Multimedia Extreme that I purchased on Craigslist from a lady for $20. She really knew nothing about it, but I'm a fan of the old Packard Bells.

It has a motherboard with an Intel Overdrive socket, as well as an Overdrive chip (pictures included). It's model PODP5V63. I did a little research and found some stuff that says these were created to upgrade 486 CPUs to Pentium technology. It also says it's clocked at 63mhz...which is a weird number for the clock, right?

Just by coincidence, my new 486 PC has the same "Intel Overdrive Ready" CPU socket in it. I do a little talk about it in the thread where I present my new machine.

ahh yes, the coins were a nice touch.

i also noticed that it was said there's a jumper setting on the motherboard for the voltage of the CPU. i want to make sure that is set correctly. when i fire it up post-restoration.

anyone know off hand of a place to find diagrams of old PB motherboards?

ill google as well. im pretty sure i didnt see any jumper settings on the case.

IIRC, so long as you're using an Overdrive chip intended for 486's, you won't need to worry about the voltages on the Overdrive socket - by spec, it'll just work.

Back