• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ever try carrying-on a vintage computer on a flight? Any issues?

bitfixer

Veteran Member
Hey there,

On a weekend trip to San Diego, I found a Commodore SX-64 someone was selling for cheap.. and despite the potential problems in taking it on the flight home, I couldn't resist.
I'm hoping to bring it as a carry-on if possible, it meets the size limitations for carry-on baggage but I imagine I'll get some strange looks from the TSA people.
Has anyone here tried carrying on some vintage computer gear? Any issues with doing so?
I could try to locate a box and some packing material and just pay to check it, but it would be great if that wasn't necessary.

Haven't tried it myself, haven't had to fly in years, though. Sounds like you might be in for an adventure. Next time I fly I'll be taking the Osborne, and will report what happens.

It would also be interesting to see what security does, because they'd probably think that you could store an *iffy* item in it. Although, people who used portable computers in their time must've brought it on a plane a somepoint. You'd probably have to count it as luggage, because it would be too big for the laptop bag limit and for just the size of those portables.

I brought a vinyl bag full of vintage computer parts to a meeting in Germany a couple of years ago. It caught some mild curiosity at the security scanner, but nothing serious. And I flew Ryan Air on top of that! On my way home, I had obtained a C128DCR but it was too large to bring as carry-on so I donated it to my German host.

I've hand-carried PCjr sidecars and stuffed luggage with them in the past. No problems.

The TTL logic on older machines is going to look quaint compared to a modern laptop. If it is heavily shielded it might be more of an issue.

I routinely travel with an ICOM 706 tranceiver and a 40m dipole in my carry on. No one has ever even asked me about it.

Well, in the end I wimped out and paid to check it in. Didn't want to take the risk of having it not get through security. Got a box, and packed the SX-64 in it, using all the clothing I had with me as padding. Also discovered that those paper cup carriers you get at coffee shops work quite well as structural packing material. When I get some time I'll look into repairing this SX-64.. the drive light comes on and motor runs when powered up, but that's it.

I wouldn't trust their handling at all, if it looks like a computer you'd probably be ok. But as Vince suggested from one of the VCF Build your own MicroKim-1 I would probably check any SBC. Yes they would generally want you to power it on, I think them knowing it's vintage and/or doesn't work would help though.

The closest I came although before we had our problems in airports was taking my wearable computer with me. It passed but they certainly stared at it for a bit under the x-ray. Actually I was nervous because I had a few different electronic devices and cables in the bag with it which certainly would have looked unusual.

For a demo compo, I brought an IBM 5150 with me on the plane wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in the overhead bin. I also brought a 5153 CGA monitor with me, wrapped in copious bubble wrap and stored in a box, then checked the box as luggage. Finally, I brought 2.5 days' worth of clothes in my carry-on bag which went under the seat in front of me. It wasn't ideal, but it worked and everything survived the round trip.

I crammed a Personal Iris 4D/20 into my luggage once.
It had to go through the overweight baggage check-in and even then I got a weird look from the lady running the x-ray machine.
Just show that it works and they should be fine with it.

1. The flight computers don't have 5.25 drives to transfer the software over. 2. Probably none of them would know what to do when faced with C:\. 3. They'd panic when the software can't be installed due to the 20mb hard drive. :D

Back