• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Contiki 1.3 vs. 2.5 on Apple //e

jeremym

So, today was the day I got my Apple //e online. Yay !

Indeed, I did it *WIRELESSLY* because my Uthernet was plugged into a wireless bridge, so, maybe the first in the world to make an Apple //e go wireless!

But I did spend HOURS trying to figure out how to get Contiki 2.5 going... then watched a YouTube Video on 1.3, and .. wow.. 1.3 is like 80000% easier.

I don't get it. I must be misunderstanding, and swear I'm not 'bashing'.. but it doesn't appear that Contiki 2.5 is an "upgrade." Again, I feel I must have done something wrong.

I unpacked all 4 Contiki 2.5 disks to a Prodos folder, and ... didn't know where to start.

With Contiki 1.3.. I ran Contiki.System .. and bingo... I knew just what to do.. It looks like a little desktop !

Okay friends.. what am I doing wrong .. or.. why is Contiki 2.5 so different, and am I missing the whole point? Thanks in advance.

Contiki 2.X was originally developed for integrated systems with far more capacities than our 8-bit computers. The Contiki 2.5 version thus was back-ported and likely offers quite a bit more configuration and applications than the 1.X branch did. While I haven't tried it for myself, it might give you a hint about the added complexity.

There's really "no place" to start. I mean, I got DHCP working.. then... Um... that's it. There's no menu, no exit.. no desktop.. no nothing. I'd like to hear what folks are doing with 2.5 versus 2.6.

Okay friends.. what am I doing wrong .. or.. why is Contiki 2.5 so different, and am I missing the whole point?
Yeah, I think there's a touch of both going on. Contiki 1.3 was/is an entire integrated desktop "experience," and 2.5 really isn't aimed at that same target. Both have TCP/IP stacks underneath them, and have various services they offer to other programs running in their respective ecosystems. But while 1.3 had that desktop/visual metaphor going, 2.5 is focused more on the back end. See:
http://www.contiki-os.org/p/about-contiki.html
I guess the way to think of 2.5 is more or less like a *nix command line - there are programs you can run (FTP server/client, twitter client, whatever) but there's not a graphical environment. For example, wget can go grab you some data you specify by URL; Oliver mentions that in this usenet thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.apple2/browse_frm/thread/d09180e4e41785cc/7f93a4c675082bc9

Last edited:
So, today was the day I got my Apple //e online. Yay !

Indeed, I did it *WIRELESSLY* because my Uthernet was plugged into a wireless bridge, so, maybe the first in the world to make an Apple //e go wireless!

Congratulations Jeremy, despite of your Contiki woes, that's awesome!

Back