• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to backup PET harddisk to PETdisk?

Drea

Experienced Member
Hi

I have this old 24 mb harddisk with a lot of files and programs that I would like to preserve, and from what i understand, it should be possible to connect other ieee devices to the petdisk...

My PETdisk is set as device 10 and normally the harddisk is at #8, however when hooked up to the petdisk, the harddisk is not found at that number,or any other numer I've tried so far.The petdisk is found with no problems when doing the load "$",10 command

Is it simply not possible to have a harddisk connected to the petdisk, or am i doing something wrong?

Perhaps a bus timing issue? I've got a similar setup (Corvus hard drive) but since I don't own a PETdisk, I can't tell how compatible it is.

As an alternative, you could try to use cbmlink to turn the PET into a slave and pull files from the hard disk directly to your PC. It requires a custom cable that you might be able to make yourself. It might not be as elegant as using PETdisk.
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/transfer/C2N232/cbmlink.html#hw-conn

Well I tried again...wrote load "$",8 got an error...wrote the same line again, and it found the harddisk Ha ha!

So how do I backup the harddisk to the petdisk? Thought it was as simple as Backup 8 to 10 , but guess not.

Hi,

The PETdisk's passthrough connector should work with any IEEE device -
I've tried it with an SFD-1001, and have had reports of other CBM floppy drives working fine with it, but have not had the opportunity to test with a PET hard drive.

What type of PET is it?
Sounds like it is set up correctly, if the PETdisk is recognized at device 10, then that part works.
If you turn on your PET with everything connected, and look for the hard disk before accessing the PETdisk at all, does the hard disk respond at all?
Also, try removing the Atmel chip from the PETdisk (when turned off!) and see if the hard disk is recognized then.
I have seen an issue that prevents the PETdisk from working when there is a connected floppy drive that is powered off.
I'm guessing that the PETdisk is somehow hogging the lines and preventing the HD from being seen.
Hopefully we can get this working for you. If needed I can put the fix into a firmware update.

Ah, sounds like there are signs of life!
At the moment the PETdisk just supports the LOAD and SAVE commands, so higher level disk commands aren't there yet.
So to back up files you would need to load them into memory, then save onto the PETdisk.

LOAD "PROGRAM",8
SAVE "PROGRAM",10

Hi,

The PETdisk's passthrough connect
I've tried it with an SFD-1001, and have had reports of other CBM floppy drives working fine with it, but have not had the opportunity to test with a PET hard drive.
What type of PET is it?
Sounds like it is set up correctly, if the PETdisk is recognized at device 10, then that part works.
If you turn on your PET with everything connected, and look for the hard disk before accessing the PETdisk at all, does the hard disk respond at all?
Also, try removing the Atmel chip from the PETdisk (when turned off!) and see if the hard disk is recognized then.
I have seen an issue that prevents the PETdisk from working when there is a connected floppy drive that is powered off.
Hopefully we can get this working for you.

Hi

Both the petdisk and harddisk works fine together now, I don't know why I had problems to begin with, since the harddisk would load fine without the petdisk. Guess maybe old and dirty connectors could be the reason!

Also tested the petdisk with a 8250lp drive and that seems to work fine, too, btw.

Ah, sounds like there are signs of life!
At the moment the PETdisk just supports the LOAD and SAVE commands, so higher level disk commands aren't there yet.
So to back up files you would need to load them into memory, then save onto the PETdisk.

LOAD "PROGRAM",8
SAVE "PROGRAM",10

Ok! There's about 100 programs on it, soo guess this will take a while ha ha. Thanks for the help!

Have copied some files from the harddisk to the petdisk with no problems. Just wanted to let you know it works fine!

Excellent! Very glad it worked for you.
I'm hoping to add more functionality to the PETdisk soon, such as higher-level disk commands. But those troublesome real-life things like jobs and such keep getting in the way of vintage coding! :)

Since PETdisk only knows LOAD and SAVE, I suppose neither of these archivers might work, but you could have a look if you want:
http://zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/pet/archivers/index.html

Strangely, I don't know of any batch file copying programs running on a PET. There has been a lot of talk, me included, about writing one but I don't know if anyone got onto it.

There is also CBM-Command that has some PET support, but I don't know about drive support.
http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/

Since PETdisk only knows LOAD and SAVE, I suppose neither of these archivers might work, but you could have a look if you want:
http://zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/pet/archivers/index.html

Strangely, I don't know of any batch file copying programs running on a PET. There has been a lot of talk, me included, about writing one but I don't know if anyone got onto it.

There is also CBM-Command that has some PET support, but I don't know about drive support.
http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/

I will try to play with some of them!

Btw another "problem" ...some of the files on the harddisk is located on a second partition, to access it I have to write load "$1",8 ...but how do I load something from it? obviously load "something",8 won't work..

Btw another "problem" ...some of the files on the harddisk is located on a second partition, to access it I have to write load "$1",8 ...but how do I load something from it? obviously load "something",8 won't work..

If the partition looks to be drive 1 to the PET then Load "1:name-of-file",8 may work.

If you (or others) need to do this for los of disks, I'd recommend ZoomFloppy It has IEEE support and opencbm supports sending arbitrary DOS commands.

cbmctrl supports any arbitrary DOS command.

So, you can easily read files individually, or just dump the entire HDD to an image using cbmctrl.

It might not be the fastest option...

And, I happen to know the manufacturer very well, I know he'd either make it work well, or refund your money.

Jim

Back