• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got another pet Today, broken crt neck.

dabone

Veteran Member
I got a 8032 in today, but because the shipper chose wadded paper and hardly anything else in the flimsy box it arrived damaged. The space bar was broken off, and the nipple of the crt was broken off. Anybody have a 12" crt for a pet for sale?

Later,
dabone

Should not be at all hard to find another tube. Monochrome tubes are pretty compatible. It doesn't specifically have to be a tube for a Pet. If you don't care about it being green, you can use the tube from a television set.

-Ian

I've got an amber 12" with a M31-344LA tube, but I hooked it up and I'm not getting any raster from it, the original tube is a M31-334GH, I'm wondering if they have a different pinout?
(Also the amber tube doesn't have the mounting ears, so I would have to improvise something there also.)

Later,
dabone

Probably something else wrong with the computer - those tubes should definitely be compatible. Is the neck glowing? Might have to dim the lights a bit to see it.

And you *are* using the Pet yoke, right?

-Ian

The tube heater is working, I have high voltage, and yes I'm using the yolk on the pet chassis. When I turn up to brightness and sub brightness all the way I'm getting no raster on the tube.
I think I have another 12" mono monitor at home, and maybe it will have ears for mounting also, so I'll try again tonight.

Later,
dabone

Ok, cleaned up the pet, and repaired the motherboard (It was video ram as I had already guessed).
I came home and the other monitor I had was identical tube wise to the one at work, *^*^(*^.
I tested the monitor board from the 8032 in my 4016 and it worked fine, I didn't try swapping the yolk to check for damage, but I might try that
tomorrow.

Now I did find some docs saying the 31-334 is a 11.0v heater, while the 31-344 needs 11.8v, that might be whats going on here.

Later,
dabone

Grabbed a CRT from a old damaged terminal (Case was broken), so the Pet lives again. (Kinda).

The original error was 2 bad 2114 video rams, and a very very dirty motherboard. I removed all the socketed chips from the motherboard and scrubbed the board with soap and water, followed by alcohol, then preheated the oven to 200 degrees, turned it off, and stuck the board in for 2.5 hours.

(The board was so covered with black stuff you couldn't even see the traces underneath).

After I took apart the keyboard and cleaned it, I found one other error, the 6520 for the IEEE bus is bad, verified by grabbing one from another pet.

So the 8032 is now with its new owner, who was very happy with his birthday present even if I had to get the tube to fix it from him. :)

8032.jpg

Later,
dabone

old tv crt for commodore 4016

old tv crt for commodore 4016

Should not be at all hard to find another tube. monochrome tubes are pretty compatible. It doesn't specifically have to be a tube for a Pet. If you don't care about it being green, you can use the tube from a television set.

-Ian

I am looking at collecting some old 12 inch monochrome tvs as spares for my commodore 4016 and 4032 as the 4016 will be working 24/7 when I get it fixed, look at http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...odore-4016-n-with-extreme-water-damage/page18

what should I look for in a 12 inch monochrome tv or monitor to get a compatible one?

Black and white or green, all the amber tubes I tried needed a higher heater voltage so they didn't display, even with the same pinout.

I think the pet uses 10 or so and the amber tubes need 11.

Later,
dabone

Back