• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Search for ATi's Color Emulation Card

Anonymous Coward

Veteran Member
I am looking for a photo of ATi's first graphics card for the vcwiki entry. Unfortunately, nobody online seems to have one.

ATi's first card (called "color emulation card) was supposed to be an OEM only product. I have heard rumours that Commodore was one of their customers, but I was not able to confirm this. I was however able to confirm that ATi provided these cards to Kaypro, for certain models of "Kaypro PC" and "Kaypro 286i" both released in 1985. Does anybody in here have one of these systems that would like to take a peek inside?

Slightly OT AC, but do you guys have any more info on the ATI VIP card? I recently got one in a lot and I am happy to send you pictures or any info that can be gleaned from the device itself. Unfortunately I have no idea on what the dip switch settings are...

Glad I could be of help.

Actually, I already have some pretty high resolution photos of the VIP. What I really need are photos of:

1. ATi Color Emulation Card
2. EGA Wonder Series 1
3. VGA Wonder V1

hello
got a ATI EGA800+ card here. Have you pictures of that one ?
(on board says "1988 rev1" small paperlabel says "PC30 EGA" chip : ATI18800-1)
/cimonvg

No. The Graphics Solution is CGA or Hercules monochrome, depending on the position of the switches.

How much do those ATI VGA Wonder (8-Bit) cards go for these days?

That is the card I would want for my 8-Bit systems!

To the best of by knowledge there is no such thing as an 8-bit VGA Wonder. All VGA Wonders are 16-bit, but they are backward compatible with 8-bit slots (yes, there is some overhang).
There is also the 8-bit VIP which was the precursor to the VGA Wonder, but not recommended because of compatibility issues, as well as something called the "VGA Edge" which is a stripped down VGA Wonder.

But just so you know, pretty much any ATI card that is ISA and VGA will work in an 8-bit slot (not sure about Mach32 and Mach64 though). I recommend VGA Wonder Plus type card or greater, since there were some speed improvements made with the second generation of chips.

Not sure about prices. They could range anywhere from free to a few hundred dollars.

Are you still looking? I have that card in my "Kingtech" brand Compaq portable 1 clone, here are some pictures, i found one pic online of one that had just one connector and a single bank of dipswitches, so this one seems like it might be an originally more expensive option! Hope this helps over 10 years later

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_093241.jpg
    IMG_20221024_093241.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221024_093307.jpg
    IMG_20221024_093307.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221024_093322.jpg
    IMG_20221024_093322.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Back