• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So whats up with this DOS 3.3 auction?

That picture of the shiny MS logo lures them to bid. :)

Maybe it's because it is packaged by Microsoft and not sold with another manufacturer's computer and hold their logo. The originality must be pulling.

Dunno. Maybe two people typo'd their 25.00 bid? It's two people bidding only, could also be a friend or something faking interest.

It was only $100 when I noticed it (I search using DOS all the time) now it is stupidly high. Could be some clown with 30 of those from a garage sale trying to make it look rare so he can sell the rest at $50 a pop.

If this is any kind of sign, then maybe we're in for one hell of a ride. These prices are really out there as far as I'm concerned. But you have to wonder, are they buying these to use, or are they buying them just to say, "Hey, lookie what I got?"

I see too much of that in any collecting forum. Someone will buy something only because of it's collector valus and vever open it. The contents could be a bunch of blank paper for all they know, but because they don't want to ruin the collector value, they'll never really know for sure.

Then too, what condition are the floppy disks? Have they been stored properly, or has someone placed them too close to the TV? Again, we'll never know for sure unless the buyer opens it up, and by doing that, they ruin the collector value. Double edged sword!

I open up boxes because I use the stuff, but who knows if something has been reshrunk unless there is wear on the box or something is missing.

Mostly for the old apps I want the boxes and the manuals so I know how to use the stuff (or with hardware how to setup the software). Most of the actuall apps can be found in warez archives (which is why I pay little for just used disks).

If enough people see crazy prices they will either start upping their prices or just keep the stuff in a "safe" place to rot and gain value. So eventually real prices will go up because the millions of copies are being hoarded, followed by a crash when people finally want to cash in (and then the stuff will get junked since it is "worthless").

Maybe it was the free shipping? Guess I'd better put my windows 95 on 5 1/4" floppys in the safe.

Back