• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How do you name your computers?

bettablue

Veteran Member
My IBM 5150 plus IBM 5161 expansion unit system is called Alice.

My wife and I started naming our computers as ships from the Star Trek TV shows. Of course, my primary Windows 7 computer is "Enterprise", and my wife has a laptop named "Voyager". So how did Alice come around? Remember the episode of Star Trek Voyager where Tom Paris finds this old shuttle type craft? Well, Tom names the ship Alice. Well, Alice was much more than a ship. She was a ship that communicated to the pilot by way of neuo whatever...

Well, My name is also Tom, and when I originally named my IBM system, that episode was the furthest thing in my mind, but I guess my subconsious picked up on it. My wife got it right away though. Then she told me that if I start yelling at her saying that Alice needs me; she, meaning my wife, will kick me out of the house.

So go any of you have any interesting stories about how you named your computer, or am I the only real wierdo in the forums?

I've taken to naming my computers for the names of the planets in C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. No particular reason, other than that I rediscovered last year how much I love that series...

Compaq, Acros, Aspire, Dec, Risc 1 and 2 so I think the connection is obvious. Oops 3216 might feel left out. No names what so ever for the super socket 7 stuff other than "the clones".

It doesn't matter what you call your computers. They're not going to come when you call them.

At work they're all named after astronomical objects (as Chuck(G) said, if they're networked they must be named).
However, for the virtual machines I add on this network I use 'virtual' astronomical names.. that is, objects from the Known Space book series by Larry Niven.

-Tor

I have fun with naming. Somehow years ago I started using three letter designations, however those are a short version of the real name. So in a way there are two names. For example my main one is SCO which stands for Scorodonious, and it's old mate (another mushroom) was MAR for Marasmius (meaning wheel - the fairy ring mushroom).

My wife once had a computer running XP (not any more) and of a brand called Certified Data, so it was called CDX, the next one became CDY and finally CDZ.

Then there is the old 486 which came from the dump and had a bogus LED display that said "33" on the front. It's name is "Dumpster33" and it's three letter designation is DDX.

I network pretty much everything and the name goes with a fixed address. That way when I plug something in that hasn't been used for a while, I don't have weird things happen such as if I were to use DHCP. I keep a list. Here is part of it:
SCO 192.168.1.101
CDX 192.168.1.102
TOP 192.168.1.103
GEO 192.168.1.104
MAR 192.168.1.108
ANA 192.168.1.109
CCA 192.168.1.110
CCB 192.168.1.111
GIN 192.168.1.119
SCO ttyS0 client 192.168.1.120
SCO ttyS0 server 192.168.1.121
CDY 192.168.1.122
SAT 192.168.1.123
CDZ 192.168.1.124

To me, that's a poem. :)

When I start setting one up, naming it isn't even in the picture. When I get to the naming part I no longer even think about it, the first thing that comes to mind is what it gets. The last one I set up is Red Green, but the tv show had nothing to do with that ; )

I don't name much of my computers, because once you name something, it's hard to let go of it. :)
My main computer is named Ace. The XT is named Calvin. The AT is named Hobbs. The Dell System 310 is Robert. My PS/2 Model 50 is Sam. The //c is Suzy. And the Leading Edge D2 is Scout.

Intersting, the way some people name their computers. Here's my complete list:

Desktop/tower 1 - Enterprise
Desktop/Tower 2 - Prometius
Laptop 1 - Voyager
Laptop 2 - Delta Flyer
Netbook 1 - Defiant
Netbook 2 - Excelsior
IBM PC plus Expansion unit (As a complete system) - Alice

Again, Alice was not a Star Fleet ship, but a small vessel found in a sort of junk yard. It was Voyager Episode 5 in season 6, titled "Alice". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_(Star_Trek:_Voyager) Now that the wife brought it up, Alice is a great name for my vintage PC. My Alice, has taken up numerous hours of my time, and she certainly has filled my thoughs as I got one upgrade or another.

I do find it interesting what some of you have chosen as your inspiration. Rivers, other book themes, and even just abreviations of what the computers was/is. That is pretty cool.

I haven't named mine really, I tend to call them 5150, XT, IPC AT, etc etc except my 386 which I call grumpy.
I call it grumpy because the case is covered in rust, nothing aligns properly anymore, but it keeps on truckin' as an almost daily used workhorse, started life as an XT clone in the 80's.

Previous owner of my IBM 5160 PC-XT, according to software on hard drive, named it 'Annie's IBM PC XT HotRod'.
But that same owner renamed terminal to termanal, so I wont be letting them name any children of mine.

I like to name things by a category. So, in my case, rivers. One could just as easily use Star Trek characters, species within the genus Lilium, names of the cranial nerves (limits you to 12 machines and takes a lot of typing), etc.

Random names don't work for me.

Back