• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problem with CMS upgrade on a rev0 CT1350

I'm thinking that PAKU PAKU could be used to gain some info.
1.)I believe that when PAKU is loaded without any options, it should automatically detect the Sound Blaster and load ADLIB / SOUND BLASTER option. Or at least you should be able to type PAKU /ADLIB to force it. With my REV 0 Board w/CMS option, if I type PAKU with no options, it plays the sound through the PC Speaker. That would indicate that it is not detecting the board. If I try to force it with PAKU /ADLIB no sound comes out at all.
2.) When I run PAKU with no options and the Rev 0 Board without the CMS chips, it detects it as ADLIB and plays the sound perfectly through the soundblaster.

Do you see these same symptoms on your's CHUCK?

Paku's Game Blaster's music sounds just fine on my 4.77MHz 8088 Tandy 1000SX.

The game will not automatically start using CMS music, even with a true Game Blaster. It could validly autodetect a true Game Blaster and utilize the C/MS chips onboard, but not the C/MS chips when installed in a Sound Blaster. Even the Sound Blaster's DSP has no way of informing a programmer whether the chips are present or not. See here for details : http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,3447.msg33570.html#new

Last edited:
I have confirmed that the new JED file works perfectly with a rev 3 and rev 4 CT1350 - gameblaster, digital and Adlib FM all work fine. I used secret of monkey island to test gameblaster & adlib and duke nukem 2 to test adlib and digital.
I'll be sending one to squallstrife to test on a "rev 0" card , he will hopefully get it early next week at the latest.

Hi,

Just tested the new jed in my rev.0 ct1350 and Iam a little bit.....dissapointed.
This are my settings:

SB IN 220 IRQ5 WITH CMS JUMPER OFF

Well, like that using the sbtest program i have fm music and voice, the test runs perfect. Paku paku with /cms option has no sound at all and monkey island with -g option (gameblaster) have sound with cms, i don´t know if sounds perfect but runs quite well. Games with adlib sound like arkanoid 2, bubble bobble, etc dont have sound at all and hangs the Xt machine. Other games with soundblaster like prince of persia makes the same, no sound at all and the adlib sound is not detected like the taito ones.

So resuming, with the soundblaster test programs showed here in this post, fm and voice works, and games like monkey island can use cms-gameblaster, rest dont show even the option to choose adlib.......

I tried with A240 address in autoexec.bat and nothing change, I dont change the irq..........
Another point, the CMSDRV charges well in INT 80.........

I dont know what more to test or change, maybe irq, I dont know.........

My thougts are about cms sound pissed off the rest of the sound, maybe is an issue in the gal code, maybe a soft problem..........but I think is really close to solve it.

Hope anyone can find the problem.

Regards.

Hi everyone, sorry to hijack this thread :blush: but does anyone of you guys know the difference between the CT1350A and the CT1350B? I have one of each card and can't find any difference between them. I was just wondering why two models of the same card would have a different model number...

I have ordered a G540 programmer and a couple of NS GAL's to test on my CT1350B with no revision markings. I have a lot of games to test this. Just need a couple of weeks to gather all the stuff.

The guy sent me SGS Thomson 16V8S GAL's instead of NS. I still need to receive the programmer so i can't test them. I just wondering how different are these GAL's from each other.

Well with my first test i coe to soe conclusions. First the software from my Genius G540 programmer is really crappy. When i load the JED files it doesn't load the fuse map properly, so basically the card just makes the PC never past POST.

So i decided to write the fuse map manually and it boots properly. I could install cmsdrv, but there's no FM, SFX and just garbled noise when trying to use CMS.

All this with only SGS GAL's.

Seems that this is gonna take ages to never solve.

I also have problematic CT1350B without revision number. I used to have rev 4 but I sold it because it had v2.01 DSP while this board has v2.02. I kept this one because I assumed it would be later and better design. Here are pictures of the card.

Anyway, like with other reported rev 0 boards the Lattice GAL does not work. The bad news is NS GAL doesn't work either. So either my CT1350B is different than other "rev 0" boards or the NS GAL is different. The pictures show the GAL installed (GAL16V8A-15LN).

The problem is that Adlib sounds do not work at all and CMS doesn't work properly either. I haven't tested with many games but Indy3 doesn't play all notes. Monkey Island sounds better.

Hmm, my non-REV CT1350 has DSP 2.01. The exact GAL is a 16V8A-15LNC.

BTW, i believe it's more likely you are not programming correctly. Be sure that the fuse map gets properly loaded before programming.

thanks to CarlosTex that send me a working and verified GAL , I can say that cards with a v2.02 DSP won't work correctly. SB/Adlib are dead on 2.02 cards when you install the upgrade... Lattice/NS does not make a difference, apparently the DSP version does.

So in order to update latecomers to the is thread, there are three board types that have different requirements for the upgrade :

1. Sound Blaster 2.0 boards without a revision and DSP 2.01 - Only National Semiconductor GALs have been proven to work.
2. Sound Blaster 2.0 boards with a revision 3 or 4 and DSP 2.01 - National Semiconductor and Lattice GALs have been proven to work.
3. Sound Blaster 2.0 board with a DSP 2.02 - No GALs have been reported to work.

Perhaps #3 needs a true PAL of the correct vintage to get it to work.

Stupid newb question... how does one identify the DSP version on the cards? I've often seen DSP mentioned in correlation with the "hanging note" bug in the SB-16 series, but I've never seen a clear indicator on how to locate the chip (as I've never seen one labelled "DSP")

Stupid newb question... how does one identify the DSP version on the cards? I've often seen DSP mentioned in correlation with the "hanging note" bug in the SB-16 series, but I've never seen a clear indicator on how to locate the chip (as I've never seen one labelled "DSP")

Its the PLCC chip in the top left-hand corner of the board. It will have a line like CT1351V201 or CT1351V202. The V20x will tell you the version number. Also, the appropriate sound blaster test program should give you the DSP version. After the early Sound Blaster 16 and AWE32s, you could use the DIAGNOSE program to tell you the version. Also, the installer for X-Wing and TIE Fighter will show the DSP.

So in order to update latecomers to the is thread, there are three board types that have different requirements for the upgrade :

1. Sound Blaster 2.0 boards without a revision and DSP 2.01 - Only National Semiconductor GALs have been proven to work.

I'm gonna correct that. Before i sent my one of my NS GAL's to keropi i tried a Lattice one on my non-REV card. And it works perfectly just like the NS one. You might as well update your blog! (which is awesome BTW)

Basically, board revision is not the game changer but the DSP version is. Thing is, every REV card has a DSP V2.01. I've never saw a REV 2, 3 or 4 card with a V2.02 DSP. If someone finds one it most certainly will face the same problem as normal CT1350B's with 2.02 DSP.

I became suspicious when keropi told me my GAL was not working on his card, because aitotat here reported he was getting into trouble too. So i went to check every thread and every card picture and found that the upgrade was only failing in cards with 2.02 DSP.

Last edited:
Back