• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any info on this???? Nbi 4100s computer system

Drummer016

Still going through that storage unit of vintage computers I bought. Found this NBI 4100S. Never heard of them nor seen a computer quite like this.

Any info would be nice. Cant find any on Ebay and couldnt get a match on google.

System seems to turn on fine but having problems getting a display.

100_2141.jpg100_2142.jpg100_2143.jpg100_2144.jpg100_2145.jpg

I had an ICL system very very similar to that, with LEDs on the CPU card.
Mine had 7 serial ports and no video card, ran an OEM version from ICL of Concurrent CP/M 86 to run terminals at a local library back in the day. Not sure if it was actually IBM compatible or not, pretty sure it wasn't though because I remember not being able to do anything with it :(

I guess that does not help you, but it bought back a rush of memories seeing that style of design again.

NBI was a big name in word processing and office automation during the 70s and 80s. The 4100 is roughly contemporary with an IBM 5160, when NBI decided to bow to the IBM juggernaut. I believe that it can run MS-DOS in addition to NBI's OASsys software.

Note how the 3 PC boards closest to the disk drives and power supply are longer and taller than the ISA cards on the other side.

If this system is still set up for OASys, there should be a coax connector on the back panel for it.

Ahh yes it does have a coax connector mounted on the plate of one of the boards.

Are these computers very collectable? I am a seller and am trying to determine a fair price.

Is it uncommon vintage gear? Yes, indeed--there's not much that escaped the scrap pile. Office automation equipment in general is pretty rare, particularly old word processors (e.g. Artec, Lanier, CPT and others), mostly because companies elected to scrap the stuff rather than try to resell it.

Is it collectable? That's harder to say--and I'd be the last to say, since I'm not a collector--it's definitely an underpopulated category, which may make it harder to collect. For what it's worth, I believe that your system could run MS-DOS just fine, but I don't recall if it took a special version, but that should be easy to determine.

That coax connector on the back was NBI's own OASys proprietary networking system, but I recall that you can get adapters to a standard 10BaseT connection.

I wouldn't junk it--it deserves to be preserved.

Back