• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gettin win 2.03 running under Caldera DOS

JT64

Experienced Member
I tried to use <setver command.com 3.0> to change dos version reported but the screen just gobbles up with a lot of signs.

I did setup to HD with no mouse. PC XT 100% compatible, VGA adapter is a 16 bit isa paradise clone (in 8-bit slot).
I use a PC XTRA with 640 KB 128 KB extended (of no use for ROM?), video card is a 16 bit
What else do i need to to, the installation may well be a flaky download?

Why does Caldera 6.0 report wrong (incorrect dos version) to win 2.03

This is what i've done so far.
[config.sys]device=C:\DRDOS\SETVER.EXE

[prompt]setver command.com 3.0

When i list versions with setver commmand.com reports 3.0

But when i run win from prompt i get incorrect DOS version?

I tried to use <setver command.com 3.0> to change dos version reported but the screen just gobbles up with a lot of signs.

I did setup to HD with no mouse. PC XT 100% compatible, VGA adapter is a 16 bit isa paradise clone (in 8-bit slot).
I use a PC XTRA with 640 KB 128 KB extended (of no use for ROM?), video card is a 16 bit
What else do i need to to, the installation may well be a flaky download?

Just run trixters TOPBENCH
;Data collected by: TOPBENCH | Benchmark and detection stub | Version 0.97b
;This file contains fingerprinting information about your computer. Please
;email this file to trixter@oldskool.org with a subject line of "Benchmark" to
;help test these routines and seed the TOPBENCH database.

[UID54AE1F0B]
MemoryTest=1786
OpcodeTest=835
VidramTest=1151
MemEATest=924
3DGameTest=882
Score=9
CPU=Intel 8088
CPUspeed=10 MHz
BIOSinfo=unknown
MachineModel=00FB
BIOSdate=19870601
BIOSCRC16=54AE
VideoSystem=VGA
VideoAdapter=VGA, Paradise PVGA1A, 16-Bit-Video, 8-Bit-ROMfixed-sync, VESA, 5
Machine=PC/XT

When you say Caldera Dos 6.0 do you you actually mean DrDos 6.0? If so it reports IBM Dos version 3.31 to programs out of the box. Or ar you using Caldera OpenDos 7.02 which reports PC Dos 6.0 to programs?

I know it doesn't solve your problem at all. If you want to get Win 2.x going that bad just try an earlier Dos version.

Last edited:
It turns out i was wrong it is not caldera dr-dos 6.0 it is 7.03

I think you're stretching the "compatibility" part of DOS (anyone's DOS) a bit far.

Try booting, say, PC-DOS 3.3 and giving it a try. Windows has its hooks deep into DOS (a subject of a long-blown lawsuit, FWIW). Early Windows may not cotton to late, foreign DOS versions.

I've seen mentions elsewhere online of using SETVER WIN200.BIN 3.40, though that's with later MS-DOS rather than DR-DOS.

I think you're stretching the "compatibility" part of DOS (anyone's DOS) a bit far.

Try booting, say, PC-DOS 3.3 and giving it a try. Windows has its hooks deep into DOS (a subject of a long-blown lawsuit, FWIW). Early Windows may not cotton to late, foreign DOS versions.

I did try to boot it up with a (Nec ?) Ms-Dos 3.3 boot disk but it do not recognize the HDD (CF 520).
Have no idea why it says NEC IO.SYS at boot though?

Your the man Elliot, i actually thought the installation was somehow flawed, but using setver WIN200.bin to version 3.40 did it. So anyone who try to run win 2.03 on newer DOS it works just set WIN200.bin to version 3.40.

Thanks again JohnElliot, but now i got to get a serial mouse that works :D

Last edited:
That's certianly one the nicest XT class machine I've seen. You could also give PC/Geos (namely GeoWorks 1.x) a shot just for the hell of it. What made you decide a variant of DrDos instead of the standard fare, namely MS or PC Dos?

Last edited:
That's certianly one the nicest XT class machine I've seen. You could also give PC/Geos (namely GeoWorks 1.x) a shot just for the hell of it. What made you decide a variant of DrDos instead of the standard fare, namely MS or PC Dos?

Actually i fiddled around with alot of boot disks but it seem like any dos under 5.0 can not handle the 480 MB HDD, so i basicly i could had MS-DOS 5.0 or FreeDOS and now i am thinking this may work under FreeDOS to so i may change OS on HDD again.

Now I have to go get my fluorscent green MCGA monitor, just to show off ;D, but i do not think the CGA port will work in conjunction with my Paradise VGA.... And really my 32 inch SWEDX tv have damn much better picture.

I have to emulate the fluroscent green in DOS ;D

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as long as it works and does what you want it to do. I've got a VGA cable permanently hooked up to our large telly in the lounge just in case.

Back