• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CT1310 model number for the Soundblaster 1.0 - a myth?

shock__

Inspired by this thread over at queststudios, I wanted to know if that serial number ever existed "in the wild". While it has been widely accepted that the CT1320C (dated 1990) cards are considered as Soundblaster 1.5 cards, the only difference to the Soundblaster 1.0 is supposed to be the lack of preinstalled C/MS chips (the CT1320A has them soldered, the CT1320B supposedly has sockets with the chips inserted and the CT1320C has empty sockets)

As you can see here (picture by Amigaz), the CT1320A cards have the C/MS chips soldered in place, which would make it a SoundBlaster 1.0 by the definition of my "Das große SoundBlaster Buch" by Data Becker (some major distributor for budget software and pc related bookware in Germany).

Last but not very least, in the September 1988 issue of computer gaming world, there's a short mention of an upcoming sound card by Creative called the "killer card" which pretty much describes the Soundblaster (which wasn't out by that time yet). Now as we're extremely lucky, such a prototype has been found last year by a user called "Anonymous Freak" (who actually isn't that anonymous in case you're wondering/smelling a fake here [just in case]). Hi-Res scans of the front and back of the card are available. Once again we see nothing indicating a CT1310 but rather a CTT 1320 labeling. There's also an ad showing such a card with the brown/yellowish prototype PCB placing it right near a violin, a bunch of 5.25" floppies and a book/manual clearing indicating "Sound Blaster" around, which would go with my theory. Sadly said advertisement is too small to see an actual type number.

Considering the only actual mention of the CT1310 appears to be Creative Labs' website and no other information around, I do pretty much consider it a mishap on their website and false information on Wikipedia, unless there's other evidence of the existence of the CT1310 around. A possiblity I can't exactly dig into, would be that Creative used that number on the boxes, but as the earliest boxed card I have is a Soundblaster Pro II (CT1600) which yields a small sticker indicating "1600 xxxx" (xxxx being a bunch of random numbers), I can't exactly use that as possible proof.

Feel free to discuss and supply further information in case there is any.

Last edited:
Personally I'd say CTT 1320 == CT1320, and that confirms it. CTT XXXX must have just been some old naming scheme which they moved from, and if you were to "port" the model number to the newer scheme, it would be CT1320.

Edit: Derp, I thought you said 1320 everywhere, didn't realize, so disregard me. :p

Last edited:
the CT1320A has them soldered, the CT1320B supposedly has sockets with the chips inserted and the CT1320C has empty sockets)[/IMG]
I can attest to this: I own 2 CT1320C cards with CMS sockets.

Considering the only actual mention of the CT1310 appears to be Creative Labs' website and no other information around, I do pretty much consider it a mishap on their website and false information on Wikipedia,
I believe you can revise Wikipedia and incorporate this information.

Has anyone actually got CT1320A ?
I thought Trixter had some but he checked and he only has:
CT-1320c (this is a 1.5 without CMS chips)
CT1350B Rev 4
CT1350B
I would like to know what is a DSB version of CT-1320A
You might be able to tell that by simply looking on what is written on the DSP chip
or you can use this program http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/test/SBTEST2.zip
that also checks some more things.

The DSP version is important so that DOSBox has the right version for its emulated sb1.0 too.
There are some compatibility problems with older version that is present in prototype CTT-1320 hence it is important what version the earliest sb 1.0 had.

so i've heard before that the 1.5 ct1320 a-c was the only versions then why do i have a CT1320U http://electricdreams.ath.cx/card/creact1320u.jpg

just adding if anyone cares.
you can test the card with the program enclosed in my previous post this way:
sbtest2>ct1320u.txt
Maybe it will reveal some of cards mysteries.

Cloudschatze thanks, it looks i indeed forgot about its content as the last post there was mine and i somehow wiped it out from memory cause it says "But the manual is for Version 1.5 and mentioned nothing about the CMS organ". So it looks as if that could be some later version of ct1320a. If the manual was updated so the dsp could be updated too. We know that sb prototype has dsp version 1.03 so there still can be a ct1320a/1320/1310 card that could have dsp version either 1.03 or 1.04.

Back