• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Raspberry Pi update

I couldn't work out how an RJ45 connector could be so wrong.... I found this on the Molex website:

"Molex Magnetic Modular Jacks incorporate wire-wound components (magnetics) in standard RJ45 jacks. These integrated magnetics, resistors and/or capacitors filter common-mode noise to provide signal integrity, protect PHY chips, provide DC isolation and offer low-mode conversion. Magnetic jacks are available in Power over Ethernet (PoE) versions that support PoE functionally while allowing customers to manage power. Magnetic modular jacks support Fast Ethernet (10/100) and Gigabit Ethernet applications."

I was wondering the same. It's an interesting little device, apparently they've been shipped and I've seen a few product demos that I have trouble believing. (i.e. playing Quake 3?) and some emulators have been ported which make it a possible little fun gaming rig if the performance can keep up.

Mines due to arrive next week, I can't wait to get the thing, I can finally have a dedicated machine for farting around with Python on, not to mention the low power web server applications it can fullfill.

In all likeliness it will just be getting used as a database server to store my android phones GPS location, and perhaps a few other applications I may get around to implementing properly, for example :

http://puu.sh/pChI

Mine's due June 18th...good Lord. (At least Newark is giving a discount off other items for the delay.) I'm looking forward to playing around with this; I want to use it as a test platform for hobby OS development.

I was wondering the same. It's an interesting little device, apparently they've been shipped and I've seen a few product demos that I have trouble believing. (i.e. playing Quake 3?)

I don't know why you find Raspberry Pi running Quake 3 hard to believe. Quake 3 came out in 1999 with a requirement of a Intel Pentium MMX 233 MHz/Pentium II 266 MHz CPU and a OpenGL 1.1 compliant graphics card. The Raspberry Pi has a CPU which is approximately comparable to a 300 MHz Pentium II and a OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant GPU which has comparable performance to the original Xbox GPU. It is quite capable of rendering Quake 3 at a playable framerate, and at full HD resolution too.

One comment on that site sums it up nicely:

As for claims "that a $200 Cotton Candy is 'driving down the cost of personal computing,' maybe it's the 'new new math for dummies,' where it doesn't really matter if you get the answers right as long as you feel good about yourself," she suggested.

I would be excited for an xbmc/emulator system for the price of the pi though. Anyone in the US, where did you order yours from? What was the total (shipping sorta killed the $35 fantasy price IIRC) plus most sites that I thought had them are all sold out anyway.

I would be excited for an xbmc/emulator system for the price of the pi though. Anyone in the US, where did you order yours from? What was the total (shipping sorta killed the $35 fantasy price IIRC) plus most sites that I thought had them are all sold out anyway.

Good points. I'm not getting one, but I wonder what the actual price (shipping etc.) would be.

Small and cheap is the aimed for goal here. However, that is only needed for some types of experimental projects. As for cheap computers for learning purposes, the millions of not-so-old computers that are put to e-waste would be suitable in some cases.

Good points. I'm not getting one, but I wonder what the actual price (shipping etc.) would be.
Mine are $35 each from Newark including shipping. Expected to ship May 19th. We'll see what they actually charge and when they actually ship.

Small and cheap is the aimed for goal here. However, that is only needed for some types of experimental projects. As for cheap computers for learning purposes, the millions of not-so-old computers that are put to e-waste would be suitable in some cases.

But there is no WOW! factor for the student. Part of learning is getting excited about it. Despite the large concentration here of people that get excited over repurposing old machines (I know I do) the average (or even slightly above average) student is not going to get any excitement at all from Aunt Millie's old Windows XP machine.

Then there is the size and video specs. HDMI/Composite video from a computer that you can attach to the back of the screen with a piece of velcro. That's at least a little sexy.

That's why I'm intrigued. Something I could technically wire into a TV or device and not have a server (wife/family thing) near the TV. Yes if I was single I would have a variety of systems in the main living area and probably my full tower next to the TV. Wife though for whatever nonsensical reason doesn't like seeing large computers in the living room or kitchen.

Despite the large concentration here of people that get excited over repurposing old machines (I know I do) the average (or even slightly above average) student is not going to get any excitement at all from Aunt Millie's old Windows XP machine.
I realize it's not normal, but I know a twelve year old who is an avid vintage computer hobbyist. He spends hours on my old IBM PC when he visits.

Update: today it was my turn - I've just ordered a Raspberry Pi model B. :)
No idea how long it will take until I actually have it in my hands.

Back