• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

KXT11-A Manual or Schematic (BA variant)

johnperrin

Hi,

I'm looking for a users manual (actually, mainly just the jumper settings or a schematic) for an M8063-BA SBC (a version of the KXT11-A). The manual for the AA version is everywhere, but I have not been able to find a BA version manual. The PWB layout is slightly different, and the configuration jumper pins are VERY different.

Anyone have one or know of a location/link?

thanks in advance
John

I think I have a hardcopy of a KXT11 manual that will help, but I haven't scanned it [them?] to PDF yet, so it would be simpler for me if I can do a few pages for you.

While I look for the manual to get it in hand, please give me enough details so I can select pages that give you what you need.

I'll check back later tonight. I should be able to have something for you tomorrow evening if luck holds.

Close... but probably a miss

Close... but probably a miss

I have the following Hardcopy Originals in hand:

• EK-SBC02-UG-001 SBC-11/21 PLUS Single-Board Computer User's Guide (Appx 400pgs including ROM Listings and Schematic Fold-outs)
  • EK-KXT11-UG-PRE M8063 Falcon SBC-11/21 Single-Board Computer User's Guide (Appx 250pgs including ROM Listings and Schematic sheets)
  • EK-KXTCA-UG-002 KXT11-CA Single-Board Computer User's Guide (appx 225pgs including Schematic sheets)
  • EK-KXTCA-HR-001 KXT11-CA ROM Listing (155 pgs double sided)

The SBC-11/21 PLUS [AKA: KXT11-AB (M7676)] is a DUAL wide replacement / upgrade for the SBC-11/21 [KXT11-AA (M8063)] DUAL wide unit.

The KXT11-CA (M8377) is a QUAD wide board, unmistakable from the other two.

I've not looked online for these in some time, so it's worth a check, which is why I've listed the precise information for each. The First manual is listed on MANX, as having been available once upon a time, but is now offline. Somebody out there will have downloaded it. (Wish I did!) I know that the second document is available on BITSAVERS at this time.

I'll post a couple key pages from the M7676 manual, just so you can check if it may be closer than the already available M8063 manual. Frankly, I was hoping it would be what you needed. Now, I am not sure. Maybe you could post a snapshot of the module?

Let me spend some quality time with these to see if they can help. I'll look for your reply tomorrow.

Don't despair - there is another source I can tap in a nearby town who may have more docs too, but they'll be hardcopies like mine.

Thats it ... I think.

Thats it ... I think.

I'm pretty sure that the "EK-SBC02-UG-001[/B] SBC-11/21 PLUS Single-Board Computer User's Guide (Appx 400pgs including ROM Listings and Schematic Fold-outs) " is what I'm looking for.

Is in standard DEC "small book bound" form, or 8 1/2 by 11 pages? (I'd be happy to pay for a photocopy ...)

...Is in standard DEC "small book bound" form, or 8 1/2 by 11 pages? (I'd be happy to pay for a photocopy ...)
These are the circa 1984 type documents - not the "mini" ones. Everything listed above is 8.5x11. All but the KXT11-CA Listing are bound manuals. I'd have to unbind pages to use a document feeder, which I do not want to do. Consequently, it's a "Page at a time" job, on a flat-bed. To copy or to scan - makes no difference.

Frankly, a PDF is cheaper for me to do, plus has the benefit of making it available to others with no subsequential work.

Hmm ... not so sure now.

My board is a dual wide qbus card, markings on the purple tabs are M8063 BA ... not M7676.

Yeah, I get that too. Let's compare. I'll add some images in a bit. I recall back in the day, a lot of confusion about various versions of the Falcon. Kind of like when they revised the DUAL wide 11/23 from 18-bit to 22-bit capability. Nobody noticed at first and assumed only the QUAD was the 22-bit one.

Anyway, I assisted a friend who did some work on the Falcon back then, and he may have some more artifacts laying about. I only have the KXT11-CA QUAD board presently, myself.

I did find a nice advertising brochure last night that included 3 KXT11 variations, but not a "M8063-BA". It's why I'm thinking there was an in-between artwork, a step between the two DUAL versions.

Scans coming next.

First the M8063 [I would take this to be the AA variant]:
M8063.jpg

Next the M7676 [Listed as the AB version]:
M7676.jpg

And finally, the brochure page [Note: incorrect image attributed as M8063-AA]:
KXT11 Page.jpg

This clearly shows the halo of confusion that perpetually surrounded this product. DEC documents rarely had errors of this magnitude. It reveals DEC's internal struggles about the T11 CPU in general, and their own sense of turmoil about where the product belonged and what to do with it.

They never seemed to get a grip on something that could be sold as a CHIP, a Dedicated board and a QBUS Module, all at the same time.

I should not be surprised that you have hardware which doesn't "fit". I'm betting it looks more like the M7676 though. (?)

Ah. The plot thickens.

It would seem that my board is just a respin of the AA board, judging by the significant re-layout of the 7676 board. The general component layout (PPI and 2 SLUs above the T11) on my board is the same as the AA, but the wire wrap pins are moved around a bit (and in some groupings, a different count).

I'll get a high res picture tonight, the phone camera pic was not focused very well.

May be time to dig out the ohm meter :-(

Good. That's progress.

High res pics will really help me, help you, especially if the part numbers, labels, and designations are clear. Please take shots of the underside as well.

Found this image (purported to be a M8063-BA), but it isn't quite clear enough. Is it the right one though?

M8063-BA_top.jpg

Typically, when DEC revised a board and changed the major letter suffix, the purpose and location of jumpers can have changed, components too. If this is like yours, I can see the discrepancy you are faced with.

Keep that OHM meter handy.

I am still hopeful the documentation will yet be of some use, although schematics may help more than anything. I'll try again to contact my friend to see what he may have.

Last edited:
This is a better drawing to see the other component changes. Superficially, it appears similar, but a lot has been re-arranged on this guy.

M8063-AA_layout_r1.jpg

M8063-BA_top.jpg

I spoke to my friend, and am not overly hopeful, but I'll have a look at what he has and post back.

Have you made any further progress?

I've picked up a number of boxes of documentation from my nearby contact. I kept an eye out while packing them, but didn't see anything at first glance that would be helpful to you. There will be time to look more closely as they are unpacked and shelved, but it's doubtful there will be any more on this.

Were you able to take any better photos of your board, or get help elsewhere?

I have one of those boards, as depicted in the picture. Still in sealed bag.
I don't recall seeing any docs, but think I got something back in the '80s. I'll
keep my eyes open as I inventory all the stuff.

Wow. When it rains, it pours.
While trying to get my stuff organized for its departure, I found a second board, although not sealed. I may have fired it up some 30 years ago. :)
They both are M8063 rev D boards.
I also found what I remembered with regard to documentation. 3 of them in fact!
The manuals I have:
EK-KXT11UG from 1981, loose bound photocopy, for the 8063 rev C board.
EK-KXT11-UG-PR1 1982, bound manual for the 8063 rev C board.
EK-SBC01-UG-001 1982, loose bound printed, for the 8063 rev D board.

Its probably best that the docs stay with the processor boards, particularly since I have only
one copy of the the manual for the rev D boards.

If I can help the OP with a PDF or two, I'd be happy to.

Now, on to the Stanley Cup match. Go Kings.

So, the board rundown, as I can figure out

So, the board rundown, as I can figure out

Wow. When it rains, it pours.
While trying to get my stuff organized for its departure, I found a second board, although not sealed. I may have fired it up some 30 years ago. :)
They both are M8063 rev D boards.
I also found what I remembered with regard to documentation. 3 of them in fact!
The manuals I have:
EK-KXT11UG from 1981, loose bound photocopy, for the 8063 rev C board.
EK-KXT11-UG-PR1 1982, bound manual for the 8063 rev C board.
EK-SBC01-UG-001 1982, loose bound printed, for the 8063 rev D board.

Its probably best that the docs stay with the processor boards, particularly since I have only
one copy of the the manual for the rev D boards.

If I can help the OP with a PDF or two, I'd be happy to.

Now, on to the Stanley Cup match. Go Kings.

So, the 8063 rev C is the 8063 AA variant
the 8063 rev D is the 8063 BA variant (the ones I have)
The quad board must have been known as the AB variant.

So, the 8063 rev C is the 8063 AA variant
the 8063 rev D is the 8063 BA variant (the ones I have)
The quad board must have been known as the AB variant.

The KXT11-CA is the QUAD board (M8377). I can supply the documentation for this by PDF if anyone needs it. [previously described]

The EK-SBC01-UG-001 is probably what John needs, and nobody else has online. A copy of just Chapter 2, and the schematic fold-outs (usually Appendix F) will probably answer all his immediate questions, if indeed it pertains to his version.

I have an 11x17 scanner here which should do a good job with it, and I'll post it ASAP so it can be shared if you send it my way. Not sure about the other manuals. They could be unique among our collective versions as well, but probably aren't what John needs at this moment.

I also have the EK-SCB02-UG-001 manual, but this is for the M7676 (DUAL) module, called the SBC11/21-PLUS. So far, no one has these boards either.

Seems the M8063-BA is the most common, followed by other M8063 variants.

Well, in going through my recently acquired documentation, I found some information on the M8063 "D" revision. It's not a lot, but may be enough to help.

The document is a DEC "For Internal Use Only" LSI-11 Systems Service Manual EK-LSIFS-SV-004 Volume II CPU / Options (November, 1982 - 642 pages!). I don't recall ever seeing this one before.

In it, among many other modules, the SBC 11/21 M8063 is described in two versions:

• M8063 (C revision) circuit board 501448C, Falcon SBC 11/21 Single-Board User's Guide (EK-KXT11-UG)
  • M8063 (D revision) circuit board 501448D, SBC 11/21 Single-Board User's Guide (EK-SBC11-UG)

What follows is about 8 pages of "Configuration Information" sufficient to return the modules to a Field Service Testable state, and configure them with ODT ROMs and a Test / Loopback connector (KXT11-LP).

So, while of limited help to you, it provides enough information to confirm which revision you possess, what document you require, and perhaps return it to a usable "known" configuration, and even how to run XXDP diags (NKXAA0.BIC) on it.

I'll post the relevant document pages early in the week.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

I've been distracted from this for a bit due to some maintenance work I had to do on my airplane. I did get as far as decoding a few of the configuration jumpers (power, start address and a few others), but it's been painful to do with the ohm meter without cutting the existing wires (i've been trying to avoid that).

However, it sounds like the data has surfaced. I'll check the rev of my circuit board (I'm guessing it's the D).

What I would really like is the config jumper info, and the schematic pages if they are included. With that, I can happily put the ohm meter away ...

thanks ...
/JP

I'm trying out some new PDF generating software / methods. Please advise of any issues reading these.

I don't seem to be able to "attach" these to this post, as I'd planned, so here are links. ( Al, if you see this, I'd like to upload these to Bitsavers)

Both include information on the KXT11 variations, and their purposes / differences. The Sales literature is from a packet sent around with the original experimental KDJ11-AA releases, and gives insights on DEC's thinking about new products and how they fit into the existing lines - Good background for the curious.

You still need Chapter 2 and Schematics from the EK-SBC01-UG, wherever it comes from to be fully "unleashed" but these will give pretty good clues.

I, too, have an M8063 AA which I was able to identify as a Rev D using the information in the pages from the EK-LSIFS-VS-004 that are linked to in the preceding post.

Did anyone ever manage to find any more information about the jumper settings?

There is enough information in that documentation to get the board back to it's factory configuration by using the "field service configuration" and the note describing the differences from the factory settings, but it would be really helpful to have the complete documentation.

I can't find any trace of the EK-SBC01-UG online (I already have a copy of EK-KXT11-UG-PR1 from bitsavers which is marked "preliminary" and describes the Rev C).

Back