• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Still looking for an Amiga 600 or 500? mouse

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
I believe they're the same, but don't know for sure. I have a 600.

Please don't send me messages or e-mails stating "I think I may be able to help you out", and require that I reply before I even know what help you're offering! Let me know what you have and how much. Short, sweet, and simple. That's the way I like it.

"I think I may be able to help you out".... ;)

Unless you're after authenticity of one of those crappy, ball, tank-style Amiga mice... if you're handy with a soldering iron and don't mind about $8 in parts, you can build your own interface to make an Amiga mouse out of a (semi-)modern PC mouse.

http://atariamiga.free.fr/sourisps2_e.php

There are other similar projects that will use both joystick ports on the Amiga to give you scroll-wheel ability as well, but eh.. I just wanted to use an old logitech ps/2 infrared mouse on them, as I had a few of those pilfered from the "discarded" pile at work.

I'm not familiar with the newer Amigas but I didn't think they changed the serial port at all did they? Any Amiga serial mouse I think will work or is there something unusual/different with a true 600 mouse?

I'm not familiar with the newer Amigas but I didn't think they changed the serial port at all did they? Any Amiga serial mouse I think will work or is there something unusual/different with a true 600 mouse?

AFAIK, nothing is different on the serial port(s). However, Amiga mice connects to the joystick / mouse ports. Like this: http://old.pinouts.ru/Inputs/AmigaMouseJoy_pinout.shtml
Since Amiga mice are not really serial devices, I'm not sure what you are trying to tell us?

Well that's what I was implying incorrectly. The joystick port/9-pin connector.. that's still on the 600? If so any Amiga branded mouse should work. Certainly corrected me calling that serial though :)

Well that's what I was implying incorrectly. The joystick port/9-pin connector.. that's still on the 600? If so any Amiga branded mouse should work. Certainly corrected me calling that serial though :)

OK, I see. No worries. :)
The "problem" (from my point at least) is that most "Amiga" mice available today are of the "mouse ball" type, which are not good to use - optical mice are better, but are hard to find, and usually expensive. And the physical parts (ball and rollers) gets dirty and wear out. So having an adapter that allows you to use common mice (ps/2 or usb) is nice.

There's no difference between Amiga mice for an A1000/500/600 to that of an A3000/4000 (although there are 3 models: the "tank" mouse, "pregnant" mouse, and the "new" sleek Amiga Technologies one from the early/mid 1990's). None are optical, and all are two-button mice, and all are prone to wearing out, necessitating repair or replacement. This is why I linked the adapter I did - it can be built as an adapter fully-enclosed ijn the DB9 hood, or you can snip the PS/2 connection and wire it up directly to the DB9, permanently changing it to an auto-sensing Amiga/Atari ST mouse.

Mouse systems made an optical mouse for the Amiga but it needs a special mouse pad to work (the mouse looks like the same funky opticals made for Sun ultras but has a different connector).
Last time I needed an Amiga mouse I had to pay $22 shipped for a new 3rd party mouse (for my A1200) on ebay (many years ago).

Yeah...there's that option too - but I'm iffy about "new" 3rd-party mice. They look to be of sufficiently low quality. Several companies made 3rd party mice for the Amiga/Atari ST lines (many had a slide switch for alternating between the two).. Golden Image made a particularly nice one for the Amiga as well. I was just referencing Amiga mice, as I'm not intimately familiar with any 3rd party mice for those lines outside of the Golden Image one.

Mice and keyboards are consumables, as a collector you have to deal with the fact they wear out and need fixed or replaced and will be hard to find.

The mouse I purchased (saved the box) is an Alfa Data MegaMouse (Amiga only) 400 DPI. Works fine for what looks like a cheap old serial mouse.

The consumable aspect is exactly why I went with an easily-assembled PS/2 adapter... ps/2 mice are going to be easy to find for the next 5-8 years, and many of us already have a plethora to choose from. For as often as I pull my Miggy out, I'll be good to go - and I'm not limited to a ball and rollers that's going to need constant changing, as I've a handful of optical PS/2 mice in good shape.

Back