• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga 2000 Components

Compgeke

Veteran Member
I found someone selling an Amiga 2000 somewhat locally (about 40 minutes away), however they never mentioned if they had a monitor or keyboard or mouse for it. As I'm not sure of any models of DB23 monitors, I was looking to find out what all monitors had DB23 connectors, and if it's possible to build an adapter to use a more common display (anything really, anything from a TV to a VGA monitor).

Another thing is the keyboard and mouse. I have no idea what the connectors look like as I haven't been able to find much on those using Google.

I do know that it comes with some software and a printer, so that's a plus.

So, if it is just the tower(ish formfactor system), printer and software, what all compatible components are there for it or is it possible to make adapters to use other, more common, devices.

I'm paying a grand total of $1 (really, one), and I just emailed to ask if (s)he has the keyboard\monitor\mouse.

amiga generally requires a scan doubler to work with VGA monitors; otherwise you need either commodore's monitor or something that can sync down to 15.75 kHz (older NEC multisync comes to mind)

The A2000 does have composite video out (b/w only) - should be able to hook up to TV. Lack of a keyboard will be problematic... A mouse is also really needed, but it is possible to use key combinations to control the mouse pointer...

Well, for that price and the prices lately on A2000's it's worth the buck + gas even without anything. I have no idea why but the last 2 Amiga 2000's (well a 2000HD and a 2500) locally with "untested" status and no accessories sold for around $150 USD. In any event I haven't looked but I imagine you could probably find the accessories via forums, other Amibay type sites or ebay. Other than that as mentioned already a good NEC multisync monitor can handle the lower sync frequencies used by the Amiga.

Like others have said, the A2000 has a DB23 video out, which requires a special cable to a multisync monitor. The best ones to look for are the Amiga 1080 and the Commodore 1084. Any of the 1084 variants will work. Often you can get them with the correct cable as well.

The keyboard connects with a DIN connector and the mouse is a DB9, but that does not mean that other non-Amiga hardware will work just because it can plug in. There are adapters to make PC keyboards and mice work, but by the time you're done finding and paying for those custom adapters, you probably could have bought a real Amiga 2000 keyboard and mouse. You DO need the Amiga 2000 KB specifically. The A3000 and A4000 models use a mini-DIN so those won't work.

No matter what, for a buck, you're stealing it. I'd drive 200 miles for that deal!

I have an A2000HD and just use a 1084S monitor via DB23 -> DIN (6pin??) cable.

For the keyboard I got an A2000HD -> PS2 adaptor, was way cheaper than an A2000 keyboard, and readily available new (although in my case being where I am, postage is a big factor). Came from the UK via Ebay.

There were a lot of signals on that 23-pin connector, so any Amiga monitor cable just connects to the pins it needs. Most had the 23-pin connector on one end, and 8 or 9 pins on the other. Depending on the monitor, the other end could be DIN, DE9, or something else.

When I first got my Amiga 2000HD (new in 1990 or 91), I used it with a 1084 monitor. After repairing the 1084 for the third or fourth time, I bought an NEC Multisync II monitor and connected it. I made an adapter with a DB23 connector on one end (I sawed two pins off a DB25 connector to get it) and a DE9 connector on the other end so I could connect to the NEC. It worked well.

If worse comes to worse, there are digital RGBI signals on the connector, so you can connect to a CGA-type monitor. You'll be limited to a CGA-like palette if you do it, but if a CGA monitor is all you have, that's an option.

2000's weren't towers, unless you turn them on edge.

Like has been mentioned above, keyboards and mice were specific to Amiga. There are quite a few adapters out to use PC keyboards and mice on the Amiga, but they are a bit pricey.

If you're interested, I MAY have a spare keyboard and mouse that we could probably come to an agreement on. Also have a spare memory card and a hard drive controller if needed.

PM or email me and we can talk.

Curtis

Since no one's mentioned it, and since you're obviously new to the Amiga, be aware that the A2000/3000/4000 all have barrel-type lithium batteries soldered onto the motherboard. They can leak. They can cause problems. In some cases, big problems :)

See this post about how to spot and clean it... and why you should just replace it even if the battery is clean/NOS. Here's a possible, safe solution as well (though I personally prefer using coin cells with the 3-point holders)

The seller said he still had it so I emailed back wondering when I could get it. Got an email today (2 days later) saying he sold it.

What good is it to say you have it with a buyer already?

Oh man..that sucks losing out on something like that...but at that price, you can't hesitate to close the deal. Obviously he's not obligated to tell you others are interested, but it certainly would've been nice.

I've always enjoyed my Amiga's. I definately made sure to remove the battery though and have been looking at putting some of the coin-cell adapters in their place.

Jeff

Back