• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pentium III FC-PGA2 Heat Sink & Fan

Edit: The adapter doesn't seem to support the 815 chipset - it hits on either side;, i.e. the 810 & 820. What do you suppose is going on with that?

Best guess? I suspect the 815 already supports it, but the BIOS doesn't like to admit it. Just to be sure, what is the marking on your 815 chip?

Last edited:
Best guess? I suspect the 815 already supports it, but the BIOS doesn't like to admit it. Just to be sure, what is the marking on your 815 chip?

1.7 Intel® 815EG Chipset
The Intel® 815EG chipset consists of the following devices:
• 82815G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) with Accelerated Hub Architecture
(AHA) bus
• 82801BA I/O Controller Hub (ICH2) with AHA bus
• Intel 82802AB 4 M bit Firmware Hub (FWH)
The GMCH is a centralized controller for the system bus, the memory bus, and the AHA bus. The
ICH2 is a centralized controller for the board’s I/O paths. The FWH provides the nonvolatile
storage of the BIOS.

Late Edit:

The above is not exactly what you asked for - I referenced the specs, not what is actually on my chip;

INTEL
FW82815
L230151
SYL5N

I did a little homework and found this with the only exception being the referenced board has the AGP slot while mine doesn't:

http://www.thg.ru/cpu/20010919/print.html

Also, the PIII FC-PGA2 1.2 GHz Tualatin is fully supported by the Intel spec but make no mention of the 1.4 GHz Tualatin.

Last edited:
According to the Intel datasheet, you're good on this one. The 815EG supports Vtt of 1.25, so there's no issue of the lower AGTL voltage.

So the issue is really one only of BIOS griping.

...although I don't know why anyone would want to soup up an 815EG-equipped system. Graphics performance is still going to be pretty lame. But if you want to use this as a server, it's probably all good.

According to the Intel datasheet, you're good on this one. The 815EG supports Vtt of 1.25, so there's no issue of the lower AGTL voltage.

So the issue is really one only of BIOS griping.

...although I don't know why anyone would want to soup up an 815EG-equipped system. Graphics performance is still going to be pretty lame. But if you want to use this as a server, it's probably all good.

Well, I didn't want to soup it up originally. The 1.4 chip was available for about $9 and the NIB 1.2 was about $39.95. So, I went for the 1.4 from the get-go. The new 1.2 will be here tomorrow or Friday. There's a BIOS upgrade available and I'll do that as soon as I'm able to boot all the way. As far as the graphics goes, I have a new Nvidia GeForce 5500 PCI w/256 MB on-board, so it won't be a slouch. Chuck, thanks for jumping in on this. As soon as it's all bolted together I'll post a complete run-down on the project.

AO, just note that you may need a BIOS downgrade...

I wonder how Intel put pressure on the BIOS authors to make sure that they put that "I know I booted this, but Intel told me to tell you not to use this CPU on this motherboard" message out. :)

As I originally suspected, the heat-sink and fan are the holdup. All the parts are here and the mobo boots okay with the PIII 1.2 GHz Tualatin. The problem is the that heat-sink that's supplied with the kit is for the PIII Coppermine, and is too large to fit on CPU core base. So, its off to to the Micro Center today to root through some obscure racks of old NIB fan/heat-sink parts. You're probably thinking I should get creative and just about any heat-sink and clip would do, but the Socket 7/370 ZIFF socket has a strange mounting point on the base of pad, and you almost surely need the Intel OEM heat-sink or an exact after market replacement, which are scarce, at least in these parts.

Yes, there are a few new developments. I was away at the in-laws lakefront place for the 4th of July holiday and couldn't play. I'm still waiting for the new heart sink and fan to arrive. I've kludged together a workable heat sink and fan assembly that at least lets me get the ball rolling on this project. So far the mobo is installed in the case along with the Nvidia GX5500 256 MB PCI video card, RAM is maxed out to 512 KB, PCI SATA controller and an PCI USB 2.0 card (4 ports external/1 port internal). The internal USB port will allow for a modified (home made) adapter in order to use the the USB ports that are provided on the front end of the case.
I'm presently using a factory refurbed Maxtor 160 GB IDE as the primary HD and a Maxtor 8.4 GB as the secondary. The CD-ROM works off the secondary onboard controller. I plan to wait on the SATA setup until all else is up and running. I'll be attempting to load Xp on the primary HD this afternoon, and will be using System Commander Deluxe to facilitate multiple system booting. The secondary HD will be MS-DOS 6.22.

Last edited:
Wow, 512 gigs of ram, that must've been expensive :p.

As I know you mean Megabytes, if you have any 512 MB modules it would be worth a try to see if it supports 1+ GB, or even 768 MB. I had a Dell Precision 210 which had a "Max Ram" of 256 MB, but it ran fine with 2 gigs of ram and was able to use it all. Not sure what the 815 supports, or if the BIOS will let you use more ram, but the last Intel i810 system I had said max 256 megs ram, and anything more the OS would give ACPI errors, but ran fine with a Non-ACPI OS (NT4 lol). yu

An Intel i815 system I have (Dell Optiplex GX150) supports a max of 512 MB ram, and won't work with more, not sure if it's a BIOS limit or actual hardware limit.

Wow, 512 gigs of ram, that must've been expensive :p.

As I know you mean Megabytes, if you have any 512 MB modules it would be worth a try to see if it supports 1+ GB, or even 768 MB. I had a Dell Precision 210 which had a "Max Ram" of 256 MB, but it ran fine with 2 gigs of ram and was able to use it all. Not sure what the 815 supports, or if the BIOS will let you use more ram, but the last Intel i810 system I had said max 256 megs ram, and anything more the OS would give ACPI errors, but ran fine with a Non-ACPI OS (NT4 lol). yu

An Intel i815 system I have (Dell Optiplex GX150) supports a max of 512 MB ram, and won't work with more, not sure if it's a BIOS limit or actual hardware limit.

Yeah, I wish it was 512 GB. That was a typo. I'll try fooling with the RAM configuration as you suggested when it's all bolted together.

Back