• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

setting up a pentium mmx 233mhz with Windows 98

seabass1858

I want to recreate the computer i have in the shed that I use to use in 1997, I want to bring it back to factory running windows 98 instead of 95, office 97, have an anti-virus/firewall, maybe run VMware to use opera and kernell32 to install adobe flash, It has always been on a broadband Internet so I will be putting it back on it. My only question is what would I use for an antivirus.

Well, Avast Antivirus still has support for Windows 98, and I believe the program still does or recently did support Windows 95. Give that a go. It doesn't hog performance speed and performs well for me.

Your options for Win98 antivirus are pretty slim if anything right now. The best antivirus is going to be keeping the ethernet cable unplugged. :)

Just try to avoid questionable websites on it.

I would just use an old version of Norton AV on a system that old (or an old AVAST if you can find it). Most exploits these days use IE/flash flaws that don't exist on a 9x platform anyway. I worry more about old software with trojans or a virus tacked on (you know common warez) then something coming over via the internet.

Anything new would hog the CPU and use up all your RAM on a P1 system.

Anything new would hog the CPU and use up all your RAM on a P1 system.

I gave up trying to install old AV versions. The overheads far outweigh any benefit unless you are trying to use an antique for serious browsing on the modern internet - only a masochist or very stubborn collector would do that.

Online hygeine is more effective than offline disinfectant. I connect low-spec machines only when needed, normally only for local networking. If on the internet for some reason, only browse trusted, text-based sites. Use a more capable machine with up to date AV for any downloading.

Rick

Just for kicks, I installed Norton Antivirus 4.0 on a Windows 98SE system here. Suprisingly enough, the antivirus engine still grabs update files from Symantec's update portal. The program istelf runs good too.

Just for kicks, I installed Norton Antivirus 4.0 on a Windows 98SE system here. Suprisingly enough, the antivirus engine still grabs update files from Symantec's update portal. The program istelf runs good too.

The updates havn't been updated for ages, but yes it still works doing auto update.

Right clamav is alright for common viruses. Not sure how much it detects but it would be an on-demand scanner not a real-time protection scanner which is also the consideration you'd need to figure out.

I installed avg Internet security 7.5 with no problems and it grabs the latest update definition file, I use opera web browser and installed kernell32 on it and put flash player on it. Surprisingly it surfs okay I put 384mbs of ram on it.

I wouldn't use an antivirus in a retro-project with Windows 98. Just set up the machine fully-loaded, and then make a Ghost backup of C:. Whenever Windows 98 gets "corrupted", reload from you Ghost backup.

I remember that both virus and antivirus software where a common cause of BSOD in the Windows 98 days...

I turned off Avast on my Win 98 system because it was causing many BSODs after an update early in the year. I tend to boot that system into Linux and occasionally let ClamAV scan the Win98 partitions. Clever viruses can't hide if they are not running.

I turned off Avast on my Win 98 system because it was causing many BSODs after an update early in the year. I tend to boot that system into Linux and occasionally let ClamAV scan the Win98 partitions. Clever viruses can't hide if they are not running.

Very True, I am actually typing this message using my old HP mmx 233 right now, I am about to play a game of red alert over gamespy arcade.

Just a note, Opera 12 runs just fine under 98 if you install KernelEx.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Opera

Thanks for the tip! :) I am using Opera 9, but I am using KernelEx already (so that I can run CCleaner) on my Windows 98SE. I am using ClamWin AV, which I like. I don't want "realtime" scanners etc. as I think they rarely work anyway, not to mention the resources they hog. But Clamwin can check your machine for malware. I am a safe web surfer, so that's my first defense. My machine is a 450Mhz Pentium III (on the Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard.) 768MB of Ram, and one 8GB system drive, and a 60GB secondary data drive. I use Clonezilla to back up my system to an external USB hdd.

I still have (assembled) my tyan trinity s1590 ? 600 mhz and max 384 ram.
another board runninbg a winchip 233
only takes 128k of ram ( chipset limit) and 8gb ( I have a promise ata33, and 66 cards. win 98se is ok on these. because it is limited to 512m of ram unbless you patch it. ( tiny patch)
I also have a mcafee install cd.
but did not erase old copies of other programs,

Back