• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Diagnose Apple //e please Help!

appleguy

I am new to this fourm, i appolgize if i am breaking any rules i need help with my apple iie. When I preform my computer self-diagnostic test (solid apple-control-reset) it preforms the test and at the end it shows up with the error message *RAM 01000000 Does anyone know what that means. also when i boot it up without a disk it doesnt go further than the screen that says Apple //e at the top. how do i get past that so it has the Blinking Underscore so i can start writing in BASIC? Thank y'all so much for the help!

Thank YOU! no garbage like you discribe in your other thread it only shows that error when i preform the self test. Other than that works fine

That's very interesting. Do you have any floppy disks? Have you tried booting them?

it just repeated "Apple IIE" a bunch of times on my computer than just stoped

No random characters? It said Apple IIe the whole time?

That's good news! I don't know if it's possible, but maybe your diagnostic is bad. (Of course, I'm just guessing.)

Can you run the command HGR and see if the screen is totally clear?

sure...lol how do u do that
sorry it has been over 15 years since i have used one lol

Type in HGR to BASIC, and press return.

(For future reference, when I say run a command, I mean type it in BASIC and press return.)

ok what does that do? i typed it and some dots appeared on the screen breafly then clears up except the hgr is a funky pink and green color and when i reset it the apple //e at the stop stays that color for a little bit

HGR is high resolution graphics. The fact that the text at the top is colorful on reboot is normal, but the dots in the display concern me. Were these dots large and box shaped, or single spots on the screen? Also, when you boot the system it says Apple //e, not Apple IIe, right?

single spot on the screen but is a pattern but theyb were up for less that a second. yes it says Apple //e

I believe you have the Enhanced Apple IIe, since it says "Apple //e."

From what you describe, your screen looks like this:

scrnshot.jpg

what is the difference.
oh no smaller dots that flash uo for half a second then go away to a blank screen

Really? Those smaller dots could be the symptoms of your RAM problems.

What do you mean when you ask what is the difference? What is the difference between the Enhanced IIe and the regular?

Back