• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Motherboard with NEC V40

iLavr

I have an unknown moterboard with NEC V40 processor...

Many years ago I've get it, I found it to be defective, so I cut out connectors, memory ic's & some other ic's.

NEC_V40_0422.jpg

NEC_V40_0423.jpg

Anyone can help to identify this moterboard?

Attachments

• NEC_V40_0422.jpg
    NEC_V40_0422.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 5
  • NEC_V40_0423.jpg
    NEC_V40_0423.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 5
Don't know if this helps, but here's some information on your motherboard that I found on Wikipedia.

The NEC V40 (μPD70208) is an embedded version of the V20, integrated Intel-compatible 8251 USART, 8253 programmable interval timer, and 8255 parallel port interface. Used in the Olivetti PC1.

Is this the chip you're talking about?

260px-NEC_V40.png

I've mentioned the V40 (and the 16-bit V50) several times here. There were a few systems that used them--the Zenith EZ-PC, the Olivetti Prodest, a couple of Epson laptops. It was more heavily employed in Japan--and was an important embedded processor in many products. Most of the V40s that I have are in 68-pin PLCC packages, but they also came in PGA as well as the QFP you've shown.

Don't know if this helps, but here's some information on your motherboard that I found on Wikipedia.

The NEC V40 (μPD70208) is an embedded version of the V20, integrated Intel-compatible 8251 USART, 8253 programmable interval timer, and 8255 parallel port interface. Used in the Olivetti PC1.

Is this the chip you're talking about?

260px-NEC_V40.png

Thank you for your attempt to help me!
I've look through NEC D70208 V40 datasheet in SAT-V41.PDF manual.
So I have technical information about NEC V40...

The chip I'm talking about look like following:

NEC_V40_0421.jpg

Sorry... this photo was made by my phone, next image it better:

NEC_V40_0420.jpg

It's not the same as the one on your picture... :(

You see, I'm trying to identify this moterboard, may be NEC V40 is still in order there? :)

I've mentioned the V40 (and the 16-bit V50) several times here. There were a few systems that used them--the Zenith EZ-PC, the Olivetti Prodest, a couple of Epson laptops. It was more heavily employed in Japan--and was an important embedded processor in many products. Most of the V40s that I have are in 68-pin PLCC packages, but they also came in PGA as well as the QFP you've shown.
First my special thanks to you! I've read a lot of your posts in this forum about NEC processors before my registration here...
You see, I'm looking for this moterboard type a lot of time! It has nothing written on it, that can help to identify it... :(

Here is Zenith EZ-PC moterboad picture:

NEC_V40_0431.jpg

And here is Olivetti Prodest PC1 moterboad:

Olivetti_Prodest-PC1-inside.jpg

They are unalike my one... :(

Epson laptops... a person who have presented this moterboad to me says that it is from desktop.
But its power connector is unusual for desktops... And it has 3 lines of memory chips as SIPP, but
soldered into motherboard.

Any else ideas?

Is there any chance you remember the type of system that your motherboard came out of? Was it a laptop?

Is there any chance you remember the type of system that your motherboard came out of? Was it a laptop?
I've never seen the system. This moterboard was prtesented to me by my neighbour. He says it's from desktop.
I can't ask him, he is already not alive... :(

If this truly is an Epson board, I think I've found your system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epson_QX-10

The QX-10 has an NEC graphics chip. The chip you show on your board is soldered in. This is rather uncommon for CPUs, and the shape and size of your NEC chip is unusual for the eighties.

Epson? %) Hm... I think it is not so...
The Epson QX-10 is a microcomputer running CP/M or TPM-III (CP/M-80 compatible) which was introduced in 1983. It was based on a Zilog Z80 microprocessor, running at 4 MHz...
And my has NEC V40 CPU on board with 16 MHz quartz resonator...

Interesting. I don't know what your board is at the moment, but I'll keep searching.

Not particularly relevant to the question, but a tidbit on the V40. Did you know that a line of the AMSAT OSCAR satellites were powered by V40s?

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/sat_summary/microsat.php

Anyone got a photo of a MicroBee 640TC, AKA "Mathilda"? That was a V40 PC.

@iLavr, I see that your board still has the EPROMs on it--why not read them out and tell us what's in them? That would certainly give a hint as to what this thing came from.

Last edited:
Some more information about this motherboard

Some more information about this motherboard

This is memory chips, which were soldered on motherboard:

NEC_V40_0433.jpg

KOREA
KM41256AJ-15

On the other side:
SAMSUNG KMK49256

This motherboard support 2 floppy drives and 1 hard disk.

This is its IDE connector:

NEC_V40_0435.jpg

P.S. Why I can't edit my post if I found a mistake? I press "Edit" and "Save" after correcting mistake - and nothing happend... :(

@iLavr, I see that your board still has the EPROMs on it--why not read them out and tell us what's in them? That would certainly give a hint as to what this thing came from.
It's a good idea! %) You see, usually on EPROMs BIOS provider is written...
In this case - only numbers (not data) - some stange numbers...
Maybe it's confused me...:( But you are right! I'll try it! :)

See those chips with paper labels on them? Those are what you want to dump.

So... ROM BIOS... (IC9 EPROM)

Normerel_ST_2_2.GIF

I see: "PCE Firmware Version 1.01.00 Copyight 1987 NORMEREL Systemes "

I Google for NORMEREL Systemes V40 and find only one computer:
http://ndoduc.free.fr/ach/ams__fpu.htm

Normerel_ST_1.GIF

There is nither such computer view nor moterboard picture or any other reference... :(
Maybe I was not lucky today... :)

The second IC60 EPROM seems to be a characters generator.

Sorry, I cant manage to upload EPROM *.bin files here...

I can only find a mention of the ST2 in a benchmark report. But now you know what you've got, even if you don't know what it looked like. :(

You can ZIP the EPROM image up and upload it using the "Go Advanced"/"Attach files" posting feature.

I can only find a mention of the ST2 in a benchmark report. But now you know what you've got, even if you don't know what it looked like. :(

You can ZIP the EPROM image up and upload it using the "Go Advanced"/"Attach files" posting feature.

I've never heard of the ST-2. Is it rare?

Probably not--just French and not perfectly PC-compatible.

I'd think the OPlite was far more collectable.

Alright. Maybe we'll be able to dig up some pictures one of these days for iLavr. Unfortunately, my most reliable source of information (which happens to be Google :) ) only turned up with pictures of the OPlite.

I think, I've found the nearest to mine NORMEREL Systemes project!
It's "Normerel OPlite computer" (1983)

Normerel_Oplite_System_s1.jpg

It's rather strange desktop computer model!
But it has a lot of features, equal to my motherboard.
I've marked them in the Tecnical Information:

Normerel_ST_2_3.GIF

Yes! It has a lot of connectors, such as:
"RGB, video composite, SCART, Parallel, Serial, 4 expansion slots"
I've cut all of them from motherboard...

And now - what is the reason of my "dancing" around this motherboard:
Long ago I dont know that NEC V40 can emulate i8080 codes, and when I've learn this,
I've remembered, that I have this CPU on my old damageded motherboard!

Now I'm thinking about soldering the power connector to it and may be NEC V40 is still alive? :wink:
I have a dream to test the NEC V40 feature in emulating i8080!

Back