• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Pertec ISA interface card

Does this help?.

The standard timing-wise is sort of loose, because it's not a standard--just a convention started by Pertec. So every vendor has their own twist on it, so Kennedy did it a bit differently from Cipher, who did a little differently from Fujitsu...you get the idea.

Suffice it to say that if your interface can handle 1MByte/sec in either direction, you're in good shape.

You're very welcome--it took quite a bit of digging to put that one together. I've satisfied myself with my Fujitsu X2444 drive that it's accurate.

Check this out:

Reel to reel tape drive by CDC. I do not know if it is made in USA, or made in Romania under CDC license with american components. There was a company which built peripherals under CDC license, I do not know its name.

Lower motor is rusted. I recovered the drive with its electronics missing.
Things to build:
- two H bridges with PWM-adjustable speed for the engines;
- forward-backward controller (via a microchip PIC);
- constant tape speed control (via tachometers);
- read/write unit + USB interface.

Attachments

• ubm0.jpg
    ubm0.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ubm1.jpg
    ubm1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
  • ubm2.jpg
    ubm2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2
  • ubm3.jpg
    ubm3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2
  • ubm4.jpg
    ubm4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2
More pics here:

Attachments

• ubm5.jpg
    ubm5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1
  • ubm6.jpg
    ubm6.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
  • ubm7.jpg
    ubm7.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1
  • ubm8.jpg
    ubm8.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ubm9.jpg
    ubm9.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1
...and more here. BONUS: a restored serial video terminal DAF2020 made by ICE-Felix Romania (DAF = display alpha numeric). I hope the pics will not vanish away, the window say that they will be deleted if nobody use them in an 1 hour interval.

Attachments

• ubm12.jpg
    ubm12.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
  • ubm13.jpg
    ubm13.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1
  • daf1-resize.jpg
    daf1-resize.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1
  • daf2-resize.jpg
    daf2-resize.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Image1360.jpg
    Image1360.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1
Does anybody have any idea what kind of tape drive is this?

Only numbers and numbers and a lot of numbers inside. On the components it is written "Symtron Corp". On the back side of the front door it says "Siemens". I do not know what kind of interface it has, but it does not look like SCSI or PERTEC. I will come back with more detailed pictures because we had no electricity (big storm last night).

Attachments

• image1827.jpg
    image1827.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dscf5091.jpg
    dscf5091.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1
  • dscf5093.jpg
    dscf5093.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
  • dscf5095.jpg
    dscf5095.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1
Here's one without the interface cable for BIN $49 including shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190719319245
Computer Logics PCTD16 Pertec 9 Track Tape Drive ISA Interface Card

If I needed another one of these I might buy it myself, but I can't justify buying one more of these.

Making the cable might be a pain.

Hello Chuck (G) and others :D

Chuck, from an old post, you wrote :
I've got one--and the drivers Mine is hooked to a Fujitsu M2444 drive. Works fine.

Have patience; they still turn up from time to time. It's not the only one by any means, but is probably the most common one that will work. Whatever you do, stay away from the PCTD III--it uses an early FPGA that needs the driver to download its firmware and it is a very slow card--it probably wouldn't work on anything much faster than a 386. The PCTD16 has 256K of onboard buffer and is pretty sli

Do you "still" think so ??
Why this question ? Because, I ** MAY ** buy that card for my qualstar 1260, so I would like your comment first.
Beside, It seems to me that, some time later, somewhere ( I was not able to find where :( ) you mentionned you have that card ( and its drivers ) and I understood that you were pretty happy with it.
Thanks for your time and, BTW ( that why I posted on the forum ) .... any news on your interface design ??
Regards, Gérard
PS : Will NOT work on anything faster than a 486 hold true ???

I am getting old :( !!

NOT RELATED to my previous posts :

Please, someone CONFIRME : This card, that I own

atc16.jpg

which is labelled : CATAMOUNT ACT-16 *** IS THE SAME *** as the forum refer as PCDT16 -- Correct ??
or is it a PCDT II ??
Thanks everybody
Gerard

Edit : sorry the picture is so small. In fact, picture is the FIRST you can find on page 1 of this file ( Chuck's post, with two pic. in it )

The CATAMOUNT ACT-16 card shown in that picture looks different than my PCTD-16 cards and I would not assume that they are software compatible.

I have one PCTD-16 in a system with something like a 400 MHz Slot 1 Celeron. Faster systems might be fine as long as they have an ISA slot and you boot into real mode DOS.

-Glen

Hello guys

Does someone have QUALSTAR 1260 ( reel to reel tape drive ;-) ) schematics and/or Maintenance/ User Manual ??
I did not find anything on bitsavers and Internet.
If someone has link(s)
Thank you very much in advance

Last edited:
Just saw this one today. A Qualstar 1052 with a different ISA Pertec interface controller that I am not familiar with.

The software manual and floppies say Flagstaff Engineering, copyright 1986,1987,1988. Can't zoom in on the photo of the ISA interface card to get a good look at it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150992366442
Currently 1 bid at $50, ends Feb 13, 2013 18:11:52 PST, shipping from Phoenix, Arizona

Back