• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Drivers for PS/2 model 80

Kyle McKuen

I have a model 80 PS/2 that has MCA cards, but they do not have the drivers for them and I can't find them anywhere.

Does anybody have these or know where I could find them?

I have a model 80 PS/2 that has MCA cards, but they do not have the drivers for them and I can't find them anywhere.

Does anybody have these or know where I could find them?

What MCA cards do you have? It would essential to know manufacturer and model numbers of the cards to find applicable drivers, or if those aren't available, sometimes the FCC ID can provide insight to mfg/models.

Without some identification to go on, it would be like looking for a needle in a hay-stack (or a hay in a needle-stack).

I have a IBM internal modem

Advanced Gravis Computer technology ltd Micro Channel game card version 1.2

a 3Com Fast EtherLink XL PCI

an IBM card which has a chip that says TI DSP TMS320M52OPQL mwave

an IBM which has a card on top of a card

and finally an IBM enhanced 80386 memory expansion

I think that is all

and finally an IBM enhanced 80386 memory expansion

I think that is all

Some of these like the game card and memory expansion may not need drivers, but you may need to use an updated reference disk to get them recognized at the BIOS level.

http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/sound/Windsurfer.html - Drivers for mwave modem/sound combo, might fit your card, might not since you say you have SEPARATE modem AND a card with a mwave DSP on it. Mwaves were modem/sound combo cards in every variation I have ever seen.

the 3com card is somewhat of a contradiction, you say its PCI, which means it shouldn't work in the PS/2, please try to get EXACT model numbers for us to be able to help. I don't know all the cards out there, its possible it could just be a PCI chipset on a MCA bridge or something else I am not familiar with.

NOTE: You will likely have to remove the cards to gather model numbers off them, they are not always in the best position to read while the card is inserted, due to other cards or components blocking the view of the stickers. 3Com cards will usually have it silk screened on front of card, or possibly sticker on back (or even both), usually something along the lines of "3C905" or "3C509B "for a model number, always starts with 3C.

Most all of the IBM branded stuff can be found in a few different places. Try here, here (for the PCCBBS archive from 1999), and here.

From the Microchannel Enthusiasts Page, you can download the QBMCA software. This software can probe and name the cards in your PS/2 Model 80, giving you the four digit card-ID that you need to have. (Nearly all Microchannel adapters have a four digit card ID and a corresponding ADF that defines what resources they use. A few cards, usually those for memory expansion, have "option disks" that must be used to modify your computer's reference diskette. The reference diskette is what you use to configure any PS/2. Reference diskettes are in the PCBBS mirror or here.)

When you know what ADFs you need, you will probably find those at the Microchannel Enthusiasts Page as well.

The game card should only require an ADF to function. Games that can recognize the presence of a game or "joystick" port should do so automatically.

As for the 3Com card, Hewlett-Packard absorbed 3Com some time ago and should still have the files for it around somewhere. I mirrored the 3Com FTP site a while before it went dead. I still haven't posted it.

This is probably an Audiovation card. More information is available here.

I would guess that this is a multiport serial adapter. Use QBMCA to identify it or post a picture if you can.

This is probably an Audiovation card. More information is available here.
when he said it said mwave, my first thoughts went to the mwave combo cards, but you could also be right, we just need more info to go on than a rough description of the card....

I would guess that this is a multiport serial adapter. Use QBMCA to identify it or post a picture if you can.
Agreed, pictures would help a lot too.

Whatever you may do, definitely don't put that 3Com card into the Model 80!

From the pictures, the cards you have are as follows:

1-3 Game port card
4-5 3Com PCI NIC
6-8 IBM 300/1200 modem card (more below)
9-10 IBM 8514/A Graphics card (more below)
11-12 IBM Audiovation sound card

That particular version of the IBM 300/1200 modem card is a new one on me. I had no idea there was a short version of the card. It's from a different maker as well. The long 300/1200 modem card was made by Racal-Vadic, this short one says it's made by OKI.

The "sandwich card" is an IBM 8514/A graphics adapter. 8514 is a high resolution graphics system (1024x768 ) with either 16 or 256 colors available. The color depth is determined by the amount of video memory on the card. There are some drawbacks...the 8514 graphics adapter is not exactly fast, and its refresh rate is very low (43 Hz vertical, interlaced). This leads to the potential for a lot of flicker, especially on fine lines and some shapes. IBM sold 8514 and 8515 monitors with longer persistence phosphors to alleviate some of the flicker. Newer CRT monitors will almost always sync up to the 8514 card's signal, though flat panel displays usually will not. However, any CRT monitor than the 8514/8515 will likely make the "flicker" worse, due to shorter persistence phosphors.

It's possible that if you have any kind of photosensitivity condition (such as epilepsy) that the 8514 could set it off.

The 8514 adapter is also a one-trick pony. 8514-level graphics are all it does. All other video modes are generated using the system's onboard VGA and passed through the 8514 card to your monitor.

Back