• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

E-mail notification of a PM?

smp

Veteran Member
Hello,

So, for me, it used to be that when I received a PM here in the Forum, I would also get a message at my personal e-mail address informing me that the PM had arrived.

It seems to me that somewhere along the line this stopped happening (for me, at least).

I just checked my settings, and yes, I do have the box checked to "receive an e-mail notification for PMs," or whatever the correct wording actually is.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there some process that I should go through in order to reset this feature to work correctly for me?

Your attention and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
smp

Go to "Settings" (at the top of the page), click on "General Settings" which is near the left-bottom side of the page, then make sure that the "Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages" option is checked. I haven't had anything change on me, in which I still get emails when I receive a PM.
You could also try turning it off, saving the changes, then turning it back on, and saving the changes.

Hope that helps.

FWIW, my ISP (Verizon) has recently determined that the exact message you are referring to is SPAM and has been depositing it (them) in the SPAM folder. So, I went into my webmail and made the necessary ajustment. It's just a whole lot easier then trying to convince them that it isn't SPAM. :)

Go to "Settings" (at the top of the page), click on "General Settings" which is near the left-bottom side of the page, then make sure that the "Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages" option is checked.

Yep. As I said in the OP, I have already checked that.

I haven't had anything change on me, in which I still get emails when I receive a PM.

OK! It's good to know that the feature is still actually working. Thanks.

You could also try turning it off, saving the changes, then turning it back on, and saving the changes.

OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks very much for your attention and advice.

smp

If anyone else has messages from here marked as SPAM please do what is needed to convince your ISP that we aren't, in fact, spammers. Usually you just need to go to Webmail and click the "not spam" button on the message.

It will make things tons easier for me and any new registrants... (It's a pain when email confirmations end up in spam boxes.)

Thanks!

I've done exactly that on several occasions and nothing changed. Calling Verizon is worse than calling the government so I only do it in case of risk of death or the like. :)

Hello again,

So, I have revisited my settings, turned it off and turned it back on again, and this afternoon I got 2 PMs with no e-mail notification sent to me at home.

I also checked the SPAM mailbox on my ISP, and there is nothing there, nor is there anything in the trash, except what I have put there.

For good measure, I checked also on my Macintosh at home, just in case anything weird is going on there, and again, nothing in Junk Mail and nothing in Trash, except what I have put there.

So, if anyone else has any ideas about this, I'd be glad to hear them.

I certainly can live without e-mail notifications of PMs here in the Forum, but it was a nice feature for me, while it was working, and I will miss it.

smp

Hello again,

So, I have revisited my settings, turned it off and turned it back on again, and this afternoon I got 2 PMs with no e-mail notification sent to me at home.

I also checked the SPAM mailbox on my ISP, and there is nothing there, nor is there anything in the trash, except what I have put there.

For good measure, I checked also on my Macintosh at home, just in case anything weird is going on there, and again, nothing in Junk Mail and nothing in Trash, except what I have put there.

So, if anyone else has any ideas about this, I'd be glad to hear them.

I certainly can live without e-mail notifications of PMs here in the Forum, but it was a nice feature for me, while it was working, and I will miss it.

smp

Did you change your email address by any chance? That could cause some problems...

A lot of webmail based programs seem to watch your actions to predicatively determine if they're spam as well. i.e. if you normally delete an email from that sender instead of reading it the program may start deciding you consider emails with that content or sender junk. I've had that happen in yahoo before at least from folks on mailing lists.

Did you change your email address by any chance? That could cause some problems...

Nope, my e-mail address is the same as it was back when this was working.

A lot of webmail based programs seem to watch your actions to predicatively determine if they're spam as well. i.e. if you normally delete an email from that sender instead of reading it the program may start deciding you consider emails with that content or sender junk. I've had that happen in yahoo before at least from folks on mailing lists.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, but I have checked all the Spam and Junk Mail boxes, and nothing is showing up in the trash (except what I am putting there myself). So, unless some mysterious thing on my side is completely deleting the notifications, I thought they should be showing up somewhere...

Oh, well. Thanks very much again for all your thoughts. Greatly appreciated.

smp

I'm still getting them...

I'm not sure what's amiss here. :(

I just got my first ever PM and I received an email notification. Lots of mail servers will allow you to "whitelist" a domain which will allow mail from that domain to get through server spam filters.

Also if you use POP3 in your mail client, you may not be able to see any spam that got caught by your mail server and therefore never even sent to your mail client. POP won't let you look at additional server mail folders in your mail address. If you have a webmail client try using it, and see if you have any "Junk Mail" or "Spam" mail folders on the server. Or if you use an IMAP mail client you will be able to see additional server mail folders other than the inbox folder.

Also some mail servers will delay messages for some period of time for "greylisting". My previous hosted mail had a 10 minute greylist time before I'd get any mail from a new sender. Greylisting is pretty effective at blocking spam from malware, since most malware mailer software doesn't use a real mail server therefore can't honor the time delay request that's returned by the receiving mail server.

I'm guessing you don't want a flood of PMs trying to help you troubleshoot ;-) But 1. I imagine you can probably PM yourself to test the functionality which is good, 2. if you do have a second email address you might test that just to confirm whether or not it's an ISP/mail side issue or the configuration.

Back