• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Floppy Formats for MS-DOS 6.22

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Hello All,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what formats MS-DOS 6.22 came on? I have original 1.44MB disks and I am guessing 1.2 might have been available but how about 360KB or 720kb? Also has anyone seen a 1.2 version anywhere? A couple of my systems only have 5 1/4" drives only. Thanks.

While I can't remember that far back in time I would guess that you could copy all the files to a directory and install from there, just like older Windows versions.

You can definitely do that but I would have to first get the files onto 1.2MB disks then get them on a HDD and then install them. If I can get it in native 1.2MB I am good to go.

My ancient MSDN includes MS-DOS 6.22 in images of both 5.25" HD and 3.5" HD formats. I think I have a 5.25" HD upgrade purchased for a 286 and 3.5" HD set that came with a 486. According to the documentation with the DOS 6.22 upgrade, it was possible to order 5.25" DD or 3.5" DD copies of DOS 6.22. I have no idea if any such disks exist; I am fairly sure I do not have any install media for DOS 6 on double density media.

I found a manual that went with the upgrade. I have not looked for disks; it would take looking through a dozen large floppy storage cases to find them.

If they existed then the images exist somewhere on the net. :) Time to start the hunt! ;)

I'm not sure what you're up to here. Are you looking for genuine historical information?

If not, just make the disks. Format a: /s and then copy whatever files you want after that. That's how I did it back then and it's how I do it now so I know it works. :) DOS can be installed from anything that it can format. If you want 1.2 disks - go for it. You could do it from 1.7 disks if you want.

Having the MS disks will simplify a pure floppy install with SETUP prompting for the next disk. Reworking DOSSETUP.INI to handle the 12 disks that 5.25" DD installs need would be complicated especially since I don't know of any documentation for the DOSSETUP.INI file; it is not a simple text file. The biggest file in DOS 6 is the 266kB HELP.HL_.

I would just copy all the files to a CDROM or ZIP and then transfer the entire 4MB to the target hard disk. More disks makes failure more likely.

Well, I have the MSDN CD as well, but you have to remember that most copies of MSDOS 6.x were sold as "upgrade" versions (I have the 6.0 upgrade).

Back then, the upgrade craze was in full swing. DRI's DR-DOS 5 kicked off with a "Toss your DOS" campaign. DR-DOS 6.0 shipped with both 5.25" and 3.5" distribution. I know I upgraded several fairly expensive products by simply waiting for the "competitive upgrade" deal.

That's when there was real competition...

Having the MS disks will simplify a pure floppy install with SETUP prompting for the next disk.

With all due respect, that would not "simplify", and would also give you a very messy system. You're better off not using SETUP if you want to save time as well as do a good job.

With all due respect, that would not "simplify", and would also give you a very messy system. You're better off not using SETUP if you want to save time as well as do a good job.

Oh, I agree. I always copied files from CD to hard disk and ran the install from the hard disk.

I use SETUP, it does the same job, and requires less effort (well to be accurate "less typing", its not hard). Once its parittioned/formatted/installed I just edit CONFIG/AUTOEXEC (maybe fiddle with a line or two) and it's done. I'm not sure how the upgrade packages work, but I haven't had an issue with the OEM installer.

I don't think I'd want a 360KB copy though, if I was putting DOS 6.22 on an XT I'd make a boot disk and use a serial cable.

As for formats, it sounds from earlier posts it was available in others, but I have only ever seen it in 3.5 HD myself.
I also have Windows 95 on floppy (I just remembered), now if I can just find somebody I can con in to doing the install to test them....

I'm not sure what you're up to here. Are you looking for genuine historical information?

If not, just make the disks. Format a: /s and then copy whatever files you want after that. That's how I did it back then and it's how I do it now so I know it works. :) DOS can be installed from anything that it can format. If you want 1.2 disks - go for it. You could do it from 1.7 disks if you want.

Ole Juul,

Not sure what you are referring to?!? I was looking for historical information (which I got) and now I am looking for the different disk types. Yes: I can take the DOS 1.44MB disks copy them to a HDD, then zip them up and span them across 360KB disks, unzip them from floppy onto another HDD, and then install from the HDD. However, that is alot more time consuming then if I can just pop in a proper 5 1/4" disk where the setup program will install directly from disks. Unless of course you are saying that setup won't care on what disk I have the files which I believe is wrong.

I don't think I'd want a 360KB copy though, if I was putting DOS 6.22 on an XT I'd make a boot disk and use a serial cable.

As for formats, it sounds from earlier posts it was available in others, but I have only ever seen it in 3.5 HD myself

The DD stuff i was asking a bout more out of curiosity then anything else. The 1.2MB version will do fine. I've seen DOS 6.22 upgrades on eBay that have both disk types but they say they only upgrade DOS 6.0. So I am wondering if you need a full DOS 6.0 install or just a bootable system w/ the system files from DOS 6.0? If its the former then we are back to square one w/ needing to get DOS 6.0 on 5 1/4" disks.

Stone,

Is your boxed? I also have "6.22 FULL" but it came just shrink wrapped with the manuals, license, and COA. I've never seen 6.22 in the white retail boxes used by MS at the time. 6.20 and 6.22 UPGRADE yes, but not a full 6.22?

I use SETUP, it does the same job, and requires less effort (well to be accurate "less typing", its not hard). Once its parittioned/formatted/installed I just edit CONFIG/AUTOEXEC (maybe fiddle with a line or two) and it's done. I'm not sure how the upgrade packages work, but I haven't had an issue with the OEM installer.

As for formats, it sounds from earlier posts it was available in others, but I have only ever seen it in 3.5 HD myself.
I also have Windows 95 on floppy (I just remembered), now if I can just find somebody I can con in to doing the install to test them....
I had an OEM Win 95b on 3.5" at one point. It installed slowly but very smoothly. Absolutely no hiccups. Only have an '95 orig upgrade on 3.5" media now. A Warp 3 blue spine bundle on 3.5" media should be turning up in a week or so. Maybe we could have OS install face off ;).

OP:- MS Dos 5.00 or IBM Dos 5.0 is an option on DD media. Versions 5.0a and IBMs 5.02 cleared up a few clitches. IBM did sell v 5/5.02 in retail packaging. I've got IBM Dos 4.01 in it's original sleeve and binder. Installed it a couple of times out of curiousity.

Last edited:
Ole Juul,

Not sure what you are referring to?!? I was looking for historical information (which I got) and now I am looking for the different disk types. Yes: I can take the DOS 1.44MB disks copy them to a HDD, then zip them up and span them across 360KB disks, unzip them from floppy onto another HDD, and then install from the HDD. However, that is alot more time consuming then if I can just pop in a proper 5 1/4" disk where the setup program will install directly from disks. Unless of course you are saying that setup won't care on what disk I have the files which I believe is wrong.

Hmm, I once tried the setup thing and it was quite time consuming. As I recall I never actually let it finish because it was including files that I didn't need and IIRC it tried to impose a directory structure so the user would have to move files around anyway in order to make a clean system.

I don't know what you mean by zipping up and spanning disks for installation since I've never tried that approach. At least MS-DOS 6.22 works like a charm installed from 360K disks just the way it is. I guess how I install DOS is so radically different from what you (and perhaps others here) have in mind that we'd need to start another thread to communicate about it. I'm obviously on a different track. :) Carry on then.

Back