• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Snagged an HP Dual slot-1 server

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
Snagged an HP Netserver LC2 system locally today, something about huge solid metal servers does it for me. Anyway its a dual slot 1 I think with 512MB of RAM (he included the original RAM and HDs) and DAT drive, looks complete except for maybe the top exhaust fan.

Havn't opened it up to look yet, its in the garage since my lab is a mess. I did have time to check a junk tower he wanted me to take, P4 3.4Ghz with 2x1GB DDR400 low density, something useful I guess.

Anyway will pop it open tomorrow and put the old drives back in see if it works (after I clean it a little).

I had the chance to get one like this, probably the same thing, but I didn't as I was more worried about finding something Xeon based. Dual Pentium IIs I believe and all 9.3 GB hard drives, all I remember.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I think the Netserver LC2 is one of those weird 'transitional' Slot1 machines that still used the old 440FX PPro chipset. Which would mean that it takes EDO (probably the hard-to-find DIMMS, so it's a good thing yours came with 512MB already), and it most likely will only accept the 'Klamath' PIIs.

Some of the big HP servers took very oddball power supplies. Bigger than an ATX with plugs that look exactly like the ATX ones, but with very different pinouts.

Something to be aware of...

I've actually got a HP\Compaq workstation that has a shot power supply that takes a special power supply, has a 28-pin connector and a 20 pin connector. If people didn't think they were made out of gold online ($70 online) I would have it back up and running, but I only paid $10 for the system.

FX chipset. I got it to make a dedicated Netware 4.11 server to play around with. I have EDO server memory anyway even if it wasn't maxed (and if it is like the PPro motherboard I have it should take 1GB of RAM).

Will probably bring it in later today for a strip/clean. Should boot it up first I guess.

Stripped it, washed it, and put it back together. Works decently, Dual 300 CPU and 512MB RAM. Both 4GB HDs work fine after I installed the correct UW cable with terms. Only need a 120MM fan to finish it. This seems like a real server, split custom motherboard and oddball power supply.

Installed NT4 just for the hell of it, but was wondering if Netware 4.11 would be better to mess with or maybe SCO Unix?

I have NT 4 on my Dual PPro system (1GB RAM, 2 PPro 333 overdrives), so was looking for something different.

Finished it with a new 120mm cooling fan (3 wire type) direct from the UK (funny how fast it got here not even a week). Will probably stick a Tokenring ISA card in it and try Netware 4.11 next weekend.

Back