• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what is my old apple 2 gs worth?

Here's a few other things to consider:

First, you should do a search of eBay for all current listings for the IIGS to see what the current price range is. Then do the same search for Completed listings to see what recent sales went for, and look at each system that sold to see it's condition & what exactly was included. Keep in mind that on eBay, not only is the current competition important but, maybe moreso, timing is critical - you need to be selling on eBay just when some folks are desperate to get exactly what you're offering. I just saw today an item that was listed for one price, the auction expired, the same item was listed for more & sold right away at the higher price. Its all about the timing.

How quickly do you want to unload your's? If you're willing to wait, you can get a higher price. But if you're desperate for the money (or to free up valuable space at home, etc.) you will need to drop the price to reach all the chintzy buyers or resellers.

The ROM03 systems generally get more than ROM01 or ROM0, since ROM03 is required to run GSOS and the ROM03 boards came with 1.25 MG installed.

Take the time to CLEAN your system thoroughly and take good, clear photos to display. Most sellers on eBay just want to dump their items and heaven forbid they should clean them up a bit. Cosmetics DO matter quite a bit.

If you have the original boxes & packing materials, original disks and manuals you can command considerably more than if you don't. Serious collectors need to have the box, original packing and all the included paperwork. For example, a complete in-the-box IIGS that is in mint condition will fetch the most. The same but incomplete IIGS (missing paperwork & disks, for example) in it's original box comes in 2nd. The same IIGS in a retail box other than it's original box (that is, the serial number on the box does not match the serial number on the unit itself) is 3rd, and so on...

What does your S&H include? Mine includes the eBay handling fees, PayPal handling fees, packing materials & of course the FedEx or USPS shipping fees. Thus my S&H fees are higher than normal, and that limits your market. If you are willing to bury the high eBay fees (9-12% including the S&H) and PayPal fees (3%) into the price of the item, you're S&H is lower & that does have a positive effect on buyers.

Are you willing to ship outside the USA? If so, you're market is increased... but of course S&H is considerably more (you pass that on to the customer, one way or the other) but more importantly, there are a LOT of downsides to shipping overseas: length of time to delivery (so your buyer can slam you on your feedback), there may be customs forms to complete &/or fees to be paid, and there are more of the Nigerian Banker scammers out there to contend with. I restrict my sales to North America, which limits your potential market.

One final thought for now - if you list it as "untested" you might as well list it as "broken and does not work". Seems to mean the same thing on eBay.

I've been restoring/reselling Apple II computers for a number of years now, and I have gotten the full range of prices for IIGS units, all depending upon their condition, how they are outfitted and pure luck of timing. You've already seen the comments about parting your system out, but I watch these things very closely and I doubt you will get more by selling your system piecemeal providing your have an intact system in good condition and you take the time to clean it up & thoroughly test it out. And it takes longer to sell pieces. The market it flooded with IIGS base units sans keyboards, mice, cards, etc. People buying pieces are either looking to replace a broken piece or, more often than not on eBay, looking to build a system for cheap.

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

i have already spent around 6 hours cleaning it i have gotten the yellowing out of the plastic it is spotless the only issue is that the 5.25 floppy drive has a small crack in it
i was not planning on parting it out i was just going to sell the games seprate what would be a good starting price for all 54 games all tested and working except for 2?

Here's a few other things to consider:

The ROM03 systems generally get more than ROM01 or ROM0, since ROM03 is required to run GSOS and the ROM03 boards came with 1.25 MG installed.

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

I hate to burst your bubble here but a ROM 01 system will also run GS/OS. That's what I have with a 4MB ram card, CFFA3000 and Sound Meister stereo card. The ROM 00 is the only one that can't run GS/OS.

Dean

I hate to burst your bubble here but a ROM 01 system will also run GS/OS. That's what I have with a 4MB ram card, CFFA3000 and Sound Meister stereo card. The ROM 00 is the only one that can't run GS/OS.

Dean
Correct. The good doctor misspoke, but seeing as he is currently selling GS/OS disk sets for $24.99 + 8 shipping, he probably knows this.

Dean
Yeah, there is really nothing wrong with a ROM1, its just a bit less RAM on the board, and not as much of the GSOS routines in ROM, but those missing ROM portions get patched into RAM by GSOS, so other than a slightly longer load time due to loading routines from disk to RAM, the ROM1 is just as capable with GSOS as a ROM3 is.

I also run a ROM1 with 4mb card as my main IIgs, works flawlessly. With a CFFA card GSOS loading those patches to RAM is not even noticeable, you MIGHT notice a few seconds extra if you were loading GSOS from floppy though.

ROM3 board does have a few hardware improvements over ROM0/1, but ROM1 has better software compatibility.
GSOS 6 overrides a fair number of toolbox routines built into ROM3, so you'll not see much increase in available RAM.

Dean

GSOS requires a minimum of 1 MB memory to run. There is a distinction here between ROM1 board and ROM1 system, and I tend to use the two interchangeably (my bad) as do most folks. Your ROM1 system includes extra memory on a card to bring it up to snuff for GSOS. But a straight ROM1 system (that is, sans additional memory) will not run GSOS. Since almost all GS systems (ROM1 and ROM3) have additional memory these days, it may be a moot point unless you happen to buy one of those straight ROM1 systems that doesn't have the memory card installed (or has less than .75 MB on board). But I stand corrected - a ROM1 system with addional memory which brings up up to or over 1 MB total will run GSOS.

I have to do better in the future to distinguish between boards & systems!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

What is the availability & cost for the memory modules for the card?
Should use most 1mb 9-chip 30pin simms, but I don't know how finicky the card is about ram, with ebay prices it would probably be cheaper these days to buy one populated with ram from him.

I on the other hand have a big bag full of 30 pin simms.

And other with 72 pin.

Ah, the joy of having done computer repair as a full time job for the last 24 years.... Sometimes I feel soooooo old.

Later,
dabone

I on the other hand have a big bag full of 30 pin simms.

And other with 72 pin.

Ah, the joy of having done computer repair as a full time job for the last 24 years.... Sometimes I feel soooooo old.

Later,
dabone

With a big-old-bag o' RAM, I would probably buy an unpopulated one too, lol.

I have slowly started to recollect some 30pin, but most of my big-old-bags o' RAM got tossed or turned into keychains about 2000ish, before I really got into the "vintage" computer collecting. Still regret that.

now i am haveing a new problem it came with 2 disk one marked apple works and one marked apple 2 version 4.0 when i try to load the apple 2 disk it says unable to load prodos and when i try useing the apple works 3.0 it says unable to load apple.works.system but the both work fine if i have a game in the 5.25 floppy drive but it wont let me start up the system without a game? anyone know what the problem is?

sorry it took so long i was haveing issues with my camera but heres some pics it does run i am just haveing issues with the startup disk
iigs325 002.jpgiigs325 003.jpgiigs325 008.jpgiigs325 007.jpgiigs325 009.jpg

FWIW, eBay doesn't care about software © complaints unless it is the © holder that is doing the complaining. That's just their policy.

Those disks all look like copies, MECC had pretty artistic labels on them with "pretty color graphics", these look like copies that a school made with what looks like DMP printed labels. You may run into legalities or ebay policy issues if you try to sell these, I am not sure.

but why would they say the name of the school then say copyright mecc on them? is that just how they made copies? i thought they where orginal becuase most copys i have ran into did not have the copyright on them. they had hand writen lables do you think i would have a problem selling them on ebay? i dont want to break any rules
i also seen these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-APP...MECC-SOFTWARE-5-25-FLOPPY-DISKS-/251123973001

Last edited:
but why would they say the name of the school then say copyright mecc on them? is that just how they made copies?
Yup - my school used to mark copies with a copyright too, as we usually had a site license for most software used. Still didn't stop anyone with the know-how and their own blanks from copying them, though :) (I still have my first "copied" set of DOS 3.3 disks... *sniff* - nostalgia!)

Back