• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old scanner

bluethunder

Experienced Member
Not exactly sure where to post this, but since this would/could of run on an old PCI pentium Win98 / 2000 rig, I figured this might be closest.

I've acquired on old enterprise/small office 11x17 ADF scanner. Came with everything except a cable, and any sort of support. I've tried signing up for the KoFax forums, but seems to be dead. Have to wait for an admin to approve me, and it’s been a couple weeks now with no action.

Its a fujitsu M3097DE, with a first generation KoFax VRS card in it. The card is a Fujitsu CG01000-440201 (sticker) or kofax 13000125-000 (PCB silkscreen)

It also came with an KoFax Adrenaline 650i PCI SCSI Scanner card, which I have it on good authority, was used with the scanner.

The card has a HD68 external scsi on it, and the scanner has 3 connections (2 for rs232 control, and video. These are supposedly disabled with the 3rd party card installed), and one for the VRS (which is DB37).

As I understand it, it was a package offered by fujitsu. But, can't find really any info on it at all. Especially, what kind of cable it took.

Anyone have any familiarity with such a beasty? It would be great for scanning a lot of my old documentation, because it does two sides at once, 200 dpi, grey scale.

Thanks

A couple of pictures would help to tell if it is a mass-market device, or a vertical-market device. If it is the later, you will have trouble getting it to work without proprietary fujitsu expertise...

connectors on scanners can be decieving.
read the fine print.. some may be parallel db25 to db 25 like a printer port
sometimes the givaway is there is a pass thru ( in and out)
which has caused some a lot of problems. although the early scanners
sometimes had a SCSI interface, the connectors changed over the years
some were a female db 25 looking like a parellel port
others were a large version of the centronics - style connector.
usually there is no problem using a scsi card especially if it has a bios.
when you start the pc the card will announce itself unless that feature is turned off. These cards do not require drivers. For dos thru 09/me it does not matter but support for is 'el cheapo" scsi cards ends after ME.
strangely, out hp scanner had the driver on the second floppy.

Scanner OP was referring to looks like this:

3148D.jpg

OP also says he has the DE version which according to this is serial and oddly enough it has video out as well.
Never seen that configuration before. Perhaps the computer controls the scanner through the serial and pipes the video to a capture device to digitize it? Seems kind of redundant.

Yup, that's the beasty. I'd kinda forgotten the scanner down in the basement (as well as this thread). Summer projects are taking over.

The 3rd party kofax card in the scanner has me confused, as it disables the serial/video output, and gives it some post-processing capacity, as well as scsi (although completely non-standard pinout I can't track down).

Yup, that's the beasty. I'd kinda forgotten the scanner down in the basement (as well as this thread). Summer projects are taking over.

The 3rd party kofax card in the scanner has me confused, as it disables the serial/video output, and gives it some post-processing capacity, as well as scsi (although completely non-standard pinout I can't track down).

We use (well, used to use, we are all USB now on Win7) the Kofax 650i cards with Fujitsu 4750c scanners, there is a special driver (+VRS) package that must be installed for the 650i to do any of its tricks, without it windows will just see it as a bog standard "initio" SCSI card. The special driver/VRS package allows the card to do a BUNCH of post processing on the scans (stuff like read barcodes on scanned documents). Problem is there are several revisions of the 650i card, and of course there is no universal package.

The HD68 SCSI connection on the card is standard, it would just be a matter of getting a HD68 to (whatever your scanner has) cable. Our 4750's are a HD50 SCSI on them, but I am not at all familiar with your scanner. I could probably find an old cable somewhere if you need a HD68 to HD50, since we have gone USB I am sure we have boxes of old cables around somewhere.

I MIGHT be able to get you the 650i software, however I would need to make sure it's legit to do so, it's spendy licensed stuff, however I believe the license itself rests with the card (I want to say the card has a HASP built in), so it might be legit for me to send it to you.

Hi..

Hmm, I thought I had responded to this thread, but I guess the interweb ate it.

I do have a number of CD's with VRS up to 4.5, that came with the package. (everything except the damned strange cable).

Good to know the HD68 is a standard hook up. The guys on classic comp gave a few links with D-sub 37 scsi pinouts, I'm going to see if they line up with anything I have (or atleast grounds etc).

I would certainly appreciate the cable, If I track down what pins are what, I could make a custom cable.

Thanks!

Hi..

Hmm, I thought I had responded to this thread, but I guess the interweb ate it.

I do have a number of CD's with VRS up to 4.5, that came with the package. (everything except the damned strange cable).

Good to know the HD68 is a standard hook up. The guys on classic comp gave a few links with D-sub 37 scsi pinouts, I'm going to see if they line up with anything I have (or atleast grounds etc).

I would certainly appreciate the cable, If I track down what pins are what, I could make a custom cable.

Thanks!

So Your scanner uses a 37pin d-sub port for SCSI? You suppose it could be the same as this http://old.pinouts.ru/HD/NovellProcompSCSI_pinout.shtml? EDIT: It wouldn't be that hard to see if at least all the grounds line up with this pinout, if they do I would think its likely the rest might line up as well. I even found a few people selling DB37 plugs, this one was the first link http://www.winfordeng.com/products/con37.php, so making a new cable is not out of the question by any means.

There are a few different pinouts for HD68 SCSI, but I am almost certain the Kofax 650i card uses the LVD/SE Pinout here http://pinouts.ru/HD/scsiexternalhidsub68_pinout.shtml, however I could be wrong here, it has been a while since I have really messed with one of these cards.

Back