• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

some new 5.25 floppy disks and lables

jeff0172

Experienced Member
i thought i would list some stuff on here fist since ebay fees are so expensive. i have tons of stuff i need to get rid of. i will ship or if you are in my area (ferndale,michigan) i will meet somewhere. anyways i have three packs of 10 5.25 floppy disks so 30 total new i cannot split them up since its a value pack they say on them dysan md-2d ibmpc/xt each pack included's and plastic storage case that holds 12 disks. they are formatted for ibmpc/xp. next up is a pack of 3.1/2 disk printer lables the brand are z lable again this is a vaule pack it includeds 80 3./12 diskette lables and 125 sheets of 2 5/8inx1in white lables so thats 3,750 labels+the 80 not sure what its worth so offers i guess? idk please message me so we can work out a price i will post some photos when i charge my camera i have lots of othere things i will be posting we are moveing out of state and i need to get rid of some stuff i have tons of software,manuals and other stuff.

So how much for the (30) 5.25" discs shipped to Rialto, CA 92376?

if i can break on the three to fit them in a flat rate box(if thats ok with you) i can do 27.75 shipped if you dont want me to break them up it would cost more thats 9.25 shipped per pack plus you get the plastic cases that hold 12 so you dont get the disks and the holders

yes i did not relize i could send them media thats why was asking 15.00 plus shipping and if i send them media thats like 5.00-6.00+.75 for del conf

these are blank magnetic media and paper product, qualifies for media mail, and should come in at a lot less than priority mail or first class mail.
That's incorrect -- blank media does not meet the requirements for Media Mail. BTDT. It needs to have some media on it to qualify.

I'd be careful with that. From the USPS web site:

"The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind."​

Blank diskettes are not going to qualify as "educational." If it gets inspected it will be rejected, and you will be responsible for additional postage.

Remember, books and instructional CDs/DVDs. And it is subject to inspection. Is inspection likely? I don't know - it's just easier to follow the rules and not worry about it.

If they are sealed, new disks the only person you will convince with that arguement is you.

yes stone is correct in less they are pre recorded you cannot send new disk media mail
4.1 Qualified Items
Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

a. Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style.

b. 16-millimeter or narrower width films, which must be positive prints in final form for viewing, and catalogs of such films of 24 pages or more (at least 22 of which are printed). Films and film catalogs sent to or from commercial theaters do not qualify for the Media Mail price.

c. Printed music, whether in bound or sheet form.

d. Printed objective test materials and their accessories used by or on behalf of educational institutions to test ability, aptitude, achievement, interests, and other mental and personal qualities with or without answers, test scores, or identifying information recorded thereon in writing or by mark.

e. Sound recordings, including incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings. Video recordings and player piano rolls are classified as sound recordings.

f. Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.

g. Printed educational reference charts designed to instruct or train individuals for improving or developing their capabilities. Each chart must be a single printed sheet of information designed for educational reference. The information on the chart, which may be printed on one or both sides of the sheet, must be conveyed primarily by graphs, diagrams, tables, or other nonnarrative matter. An educational reference chart is normally but not necessarily devoted to one subject. A chart on which the information is conveyed primarily by textual matter in a narrative form does not qualify as a printed educational reference chart for mailing at the Media Mail prices even if it includes graphs, diagrams, or tables. Examples of qualifying charts include maps produced primarily for educational reference, tables of mathematical or scientific equations, noun declensions or verb conjugations used in the study of languages, periodic table of elements, botanical or zoological tables, and other tables used in the study of science.

h. Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.

i. Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.

4.2 Enclosures in Books Mailed as Media Mail
Enclosures in books mailed at Media Mail prices are subject to these additional standards:

a. Either one envelope or one addressed postcard may be bound into the pages of a book. If also serving as an order form, the envelope or card may be in addition to the order form permitted by 4.2b..

b. One order form may be bound into the pages of a book. If also serving as an envelope or postcard, the order form may be in addition to the envelope or card permitted by 4.2a..

c. Announcements of books may appear as book pages. These announcements must be incidental and exclusively devoted to books, without extraneous advertising of book-related or other materials or services. Announcements may describe the conditions of ordering books and may contain ordering instructions for use with a separate order form. Up to three of these announcements may contain as part of their format a single order form, which may be a postcard. The order forms permitted with these announcements are in addition to order forms that may be enclosed under 4.2a. or 4.2b.

I don't know what USPS site y'all are going to, but here's the link to the REAL one, with the current requirements. Since the disks are formatted, the contain information.
http://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121.htm

Here is where I quoted from: https://www.usps.com/ship/media-mail.htm . Click on the rules and restrictions tab; it's quite clear.

Formatted diskettes with no content on them clearly do not qualify, even by the restrictions listed in your link.

. Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information
Nowhere does it say how the media may or may not be packaged.
Note that there is no specification as to the nature of the information, either.
A format is pre-recorded information. You just can't get around that a format puts data on a disk, and hence is prerecorded information.
edit
Okay, now I see the
The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind.
part, but I still don't see the part about the format anywhere, even under mbbrutman's link.
I'll just drop this for now and say I'm wrong, until I can get to a post office and see what they have to say there.
Anyway, sorry for any confusion I'm causing. If I get any more useful info from the post office on this, I'll post.
patscc

Last edited:
I'll just drop this for now and say I'm wrong, until I can get to a post office and see what they have to say there.
BTDT

I do a lot of shipping and there aren't many questions I haven't already asked my Postmaster. They don't split hairs there like we like to do here. New is new and even if it had special, secret code embedded between the tracks or in the system area they wouldn't give a hoot. :)

After they changed the rules, I would just take the open box to them and ask if it's okay to ship the contents media mail, but then I live in a small <25k town. I think for now we can probably drop it, since we've kinda strayed from the original thread anyway.
patscc

Generally, the rule is if the folks at the counter will accept it, it's good to go. It pays to be on good terms with them.

yes that is also true but they do open "media" packages and check them and if they dont meet the reqs they send it back to you i just dont feel like haveing to ship it twice so i would rather just send it regular mail

Back