• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Dauphin DTR-1 Pen Computer - need accessories

detnyre

Hi,

I picked up a Dauphin DTR-1 pen computer at a hamfest this weekend.

The battery pack in it is bad (go figure), but it does boot now and then.

It is missing the pen used for input and the little matching keyboard.

Let me know if you have one of the pens and/ keyboards for the DTR-1.

I'm hoping to get it back up and running.

Derek

My DTRs are one of my joys. I have 2 and a parts machine. Unfortunately I only have 1 keyboard which is fully working properly, and no spare pens. My batteries won't hold a charge either. You can have them replaced by companies such as "Batteries R' Us", but they're expensive, like most LTs. The DTR takes an ordinary 12v adapter, the original wasn't very good anyway. Allegedly prone to failure, and according to some, could take your DTR with it. The keyboard socket is a regular PS/2 one, so you could use that until you found a mini. It also has an ordinary VGA socket if you should want to use a bigger monitor at times.

The pen, which is battery-powered can be replaced with a Fugitzu one. It has normal parallel and serial ports so you can use a seral mouse until you get one. The HP Kittyhawk drive has limited memory by todays standards. One of the solutions is a micro-drive such as were used in the IBM notepad, now taken over by Fujtzu. Another, since the HDD interface is PCMCA capable, is to get an adapter(readily available and cheap) and rig a CF drive.

I do have a plethora of fdds, not sure about my cable abundance, which I could sell you.
Zane Healy, a guy who's regular in Vintage circles, once had numerous DTRs. He posted several times in the Yahoo DTR forum, which is now largely moribund but has a lot of info in it's archives. You might get his emal address there. You'd have to join of course.

One of the downsides is that MS$ in it's wisdom never made available a Pen driver for W95, even tho it developed 1, but left it up to individual manufacturers to support. That means if you wan't to upgrade to a newer OS you'll lose the Windows Pen capabilities. There is a Pen driver available for OS2 and I've been meaning to install OS2 Warp4 on one of my DTRs.

At the moment my DTR rig is anythng but small. In the field I have a heavy 12v battery pack originally used for "Weed-Eaters". In the car it's no problem, a straight-thru adapter supples power thru the cigarette lighter. I have a 12v MicroSolutions "BackPack" CDrom with an ESS sound-card in it to use music programs, play audio CDs, or install programs. For extra storage I have a PP Iomega Zip drive with a Zip-Unleashed small battery/w/charger to drive it. What I've been trying to acquire for some time is a serial GPS receiver like Earthmate. They were gong for about $10 several years ago all over Ebay but most sellers I found wouldn't ship it to Canada. "A pox on all such jingoists. May they get lost in bear country while hunting up here ! " :^))

Contact me for any other info or an fdd by PM.

Lawrence

Cool people here have these things.

Yesterday I posted my yearly "1980's computers wanted" advertisement and a local computer refurb guy I helped out a few times emailed me back about a box of Dauphin DTR1's he wanted gone.

So in the boxed I found 4 units, 2 have issues with leaking batteries, and 2 work. I have one original power supplies, 4 or 5 keyboards (1 doesn't work so far), 1 pen (ordered batteries for it), 3 vinyl? holders, and 4 slip on protectors for the LCD. 2 of the units have the network option installed. I also got 2 sets of original pen driver disks, 1 set of Win 3.1, manuals, and some pen spreadsheet on one floppy.

Would be nice to have a floppy drive. These units have a 40mb HD it seems.

I have one of these!

I have one of these!

I have a dauphin DTR-1 that is in working order with all the components, except for the pen. If anyone would like to place an offer for it, I'm trying to get rid of it.
Thanks!

I'm a big fan of the DTR-1 (DTR stood for Desk Top Replacement) It was ahead of it's time in many ways. The brick PS was one of it's greatest weaknesses. It becomes very hot on usage. One poster on the old Yahoo DTR group site warned fellow users against even using it. As a result I used 12v RS PS most of the time. I took one of my DTRs to Toronto with me a couple of years ago to show to friends it's abilities, in this modern-day era of tablets. I forgot my usual PS and picked up what seemed like a quality wall-wart. When I tried it after checking out it's output the "magic smoke" in the DTR escaped after a couple of minutes. I was so pissed off I haven't even opened it up yet to see if it only blew a capacitor. I tossed the WW perhaps unfairly, it could have been an internal fault from age of the DTR. Years ago I eagerly bought a supposed DTR in the 3 DTR issue boxes for $80. It was a scam and I finally got the boxes with manual, etc. including an external FDD, 2 mo. later. With no DTR in the boxes. Arrrgh. I later got 2 of them plus a parts spare from a good Ebay seller in original boxes which worked. As a result I have 2 album sets, including the OS disks and installations of MS$ Pen for Windows. I also have perhaps 5 of the FDDs but still have a bitter taste in my mouth from which I haven't recovered. But will undoubtably get back to it. A poster on the Yahoo site posted screen shots showing a mod he had made using a CF converter. The kittyhawk connector was PCMCIA.protocol. He also did a screen shot showing the BIOS accepting the Fugitzo Micro-drive.

Just one thing to keep in mind with a power supply: Be sure to have correct polarity, I burnt up mine with reversed polarity, and I'm sure that if I bother to go look it's just a fuse but I haven't looked at it yet.

Yeah, told my self no more VCF until I got a job. Didn't realize it would take this long.
Guys, don't forget, if it's an old battery pack in the DTR, pull it and check if it's shorted, since leaving a shorted one in does bad things to a DTR.
patscc

Just one thing to keep in mind with a power supply: Be sure to have correct polarity, I burnt up mine with reversed polarity, and I'm sure that if I bother to go look it's just a fuse but I haven't looked at it yet.

In case you accidentally reverse the main current DC polarity, the IC U33 (m78L05ACZ) burned. Before any fuses. This is the Achilles' heel of the DTR-1 and 2. No "fool-proof" protection.

Last edited:
I am interested in acquiring and/or renting a working Dauphin Pen Computer. It must work and include a pen. If you know it's history that's a big plus. This is not for my personal collection, but rather for my business... I need it ASAP, so if you can help me, please email me at lbickley@bickleywest.com. Thanks!!! Lyle

Does anyone have a cartridge for sale for an external drive for DTR?
It's called DynaDrive. It is also known as Avatar, or PDC-85, or Personal Data Cartridge 85MB.
I just need the cartridge.
(Shipping in the US.)

Does anyone have a cartridge for sale for an external drive for DTR?
It's called DynaDrive. It is also known as Avatar, or PDC-85, or Personal Data Cartridge 85MB.
I just need the cartridge.
(Shipping in the US.)
PM me an offer. I just found this unused, likely NOS, cartridge. Way expensive back at that time.

Attachments

• 16967400115417402672696165098790.jpg
    16967400115417402672696165098790.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 16967400458177099907780840051105.jpg
    16967400458177099907780840051105.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Back